“Over-extended, over priced, busy, pretentious” 1 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Best Rate Guarantee
Ranked #2 of 12 Hotels in Camps Bay
North Bovey, United Kingdom
“Over-extended, over priced, busy, pretentious”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013

This was a hideous experience. We stayed for the night before my partner flew back to UK as a treat, OK, she has wheat intolerance. I know that's a nuisance, but a hotel of this calibre should be able to cope with such difficult concepts as "no dairy please" and "Does this dish contain wheat". Major dramas as dish after dish came from the kitchen only to be found to have "some flour..but not much"..or "I'm not really sure, I'd better ask again."
What appalled me was the attitude of Restaurant Manage who clarely thought we were just being difficult.

The Leopard Bar is dirty and busy. The staff here are charming and helpful but the whole experience is pressurized and generally uncultured. Whatever makes this place think it's still a top hotel?

This is my 5th in a row bad experience of the 12 Apostles.
End.
Finito.
Goodbye.
Adios.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Horst F, General Manager at The Twelve Apostles Hotel and Spa, responded to this review, February 21, 2013
Dear Trip Advisor Reviewer

Thank you for taking the time to post your review of The Twelve Apostles Hotel and Spa on Tripadvisor. I am most grateful for your feedback, which is such a valuable source of information for me, regardless of whether it is good or bad, and helps me monitor the service we provide.

Naturally I was very disappointed to learn of your comments, particularly as we receive so much positive feedback about the hotel and we are sorry that you did not experience our usual high standards of service and prompt attention at all times.

Please rest assured that we have taken your comments on board and will be reviewing service in the areas that you have highlighted to ensure that your experience was a most unfortunate once off and that other guests do not encounter similar situations in future.

Thank you for bringing these matters to my attention, we truly value your feedback

Horst W. Frehse

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (227)
  • Polish first
Cape Town Central, South Africa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

Having had an extremely rough year and working straight through season I was at the stage where there was not even a battery left in me to charge.
I was so exhausted I did not have the energy to make arrangements, board a plane and fly overseas and if one more person needed something from me I thought I would implode.
Being in both Events & Entertainment as well as Property Rentals & sales, two very demanding service orientated industries, I was available to clients who knew no boundaries 24 hrs a day, 7 days a week

Desperately searching for a place to rejuvenate my mind, body, heart and soul I drove to the far corners of Cape Town left and right with a fruitless end result. I just could not find the peace, calm and pleasure I was looking for, a safe space to be, feel indulged, relaxed and excited by my surroundings

On my way back from a very long day of searching I drove past The Twelve Apostles Hotel and Spa and remembered with great delight that that was in fact my Happy Place. If ever I needed a break away from it all I would go sit in the shade under the beautiful, peaceful tree and look out at the tranquil view of the sea.

Now understand I am from Cape Town so I have plenty of sea to look at and this might be hard for you to understand but there is sea & energy and sea & energy and the energy and view from The Twelve Apostles just always has a way of instilling calm, peace and a smile in my soul, I think at one stage I even heard a snore.

The reception on arrival as always was one of warmth and smiles and the best part is they did not even flinch at the fact that I had my two 4 legged children with me

I decided to take it a step further and book in for the entire weekend. It was the best decision I've made in a long time

My suite was AMAZING ! beautifully decorated. The bed was raised on a level so you could languish on it and stare out at the sea. The lounge was sunken down and ran directly out onto a huge private deck. The room had a feeling of spaciousness which is very important to me, and I could have gladly stayed there the entire weekend had there not been so many other fabulous things to do.

When I arrived in my room they had organised little doggy beds and bowls for me and when I went for a spa treatment the next day I even got a baby sitter. On offer was the cutest doggy menu with woof waffles, running the fast track, meaty muncher and a full English breakfast if you will my doll for the seriously indulged pet.

The fact that a hotel of such standing allows your pets/children is a wonderful option to have and even though they do, don't think for one minute that the hotel shows any signs of allowing animals as it is immaculately clean

There are even options of different pillows and soaps and anything else that you could want to indulge your needs and desires for feeling totally pampered. They have a philosophy - No request is too large, and No detail too small, I know as I read all their brochures and believe me they lived up to this. They went to the pharmacy and the pet shop for me and when they could not find what I wanted they went to two more

All the staff are so friendly and not in a false way, nothing is too much trouble. You can feel the genuine pleasure they get from being of service and I am a tough customer to please.
I can only put this down to the fact they are all so happy in their jobs. They all speak about the owners with such love, admiration and respect and it shines through

I had the pleasure of a dealing with one of the owners, Vicky Tollman and it really blew me away that someone who had such an empire, 15 hotels that I know about, a wine estate, a restaurant in London and a few travel companies to mention but a few could be so gentle, kind, down to earth, humble, spiritual, caring and polite

Friday I languished at the heated pool and soaked in the view.
Sat morning I woke up to rain and grey skies and not even this put a damper on my spirits as I was so happy in my surroundings.
I took the puppies for a walk up the mountain trail deeply breathing in the freshness of the drizzle on my face and savoring the fresh smell of the beautifully looked after gardens, herbs, trees and plants. I was feeling ridiculously happy and free.
I went to breakfast and felt like a child who had been let loose in a candy store.
Breakfast was a culinary delight of gastronomical proportion and each morsel was a taste sensation of note.
I did not even feel out of place being alone and sat peacefully in my corner drinking in the view, happy not to have to talk or be running after anyone, loving being served and with smiles and respect and pandering to my stomach and taste buds

After breakfast I changed into my gown and slippers and that's how I stayed for the rest of the weekend. Five star hotel and all yet comfortable enough to walk around the hotel, through to the spa, outside into the gardens and up the gorgeous mountain paths up the back of the hotel. and feel at home. In fact on Sunday morning walking my puppies up the mountain I met a couple in their gowns, drinking tea and walking happily along the path. They told me that after this weekend they were moving down to Cape Town

The Spa was just as much of a treat - gentle, calm, peaceful, candles, oh and more food. Every little nook and cranny of the hotel offers you little treats. There are bowls of sweets in all the restaurants, fruit, lemon and orange water at the pool and fruit, nuts, muffins, rusks, tea's and waters in the spa as well as friendly and informed therapists. After bobbing all my stress away in the divine salt flotation pool and floating in the heated jet pools I was subjected to a sublime combination of a Swedish/Thai massage that left me feeling completed and my body very grateful.

I floated back to my suite, took the puppies for a divine walk up the mountain path and tumbled back into bed and ordered room service.
Again a taste sensation of sheer delight

Sunday morning a repeat of walk, breakfast and spa and sadly eventually had to acknowledge that my weekend was up

To think that this secret Nirvana nestled between gorgeous ocean, spectacular views and majestic mountains is 5 minutes away from Camps Bay, 10 minutes away from where I live and yet I felt like I had found a paradise far away from home

Thank you Tollman family wherever you are in the world for bringing such family orientated casual opulence to our shores. Not only will I be making a regular habit of sneaking away to my happy place I cant wait to try out Bushmans Kloof Wilderness Reserve and Wellness Retreat, can you imagine the peace I will find there combined with pampering and delight

If the rest of this families collection of boutique hotels is all run the same way, which I can only gather they are, PLEASE let me win the lottery and I will happily try them all

What could be worse than travelling for miles, and arriving at a disappointment and trust me when I tell you I have many times. At least with this group I know what to expect

Don't even think twice if you want to start and end your time away with a ridiculous smile on your face like I did

I also want to be part of their family

Happy holidays and let me know if what I said made you go there and I dare you to find fault

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Horst F, General Manager at The Twelve Apostles Hotel and Spa, responded to this review, September 7, 2013
Dear Trip Advisor Reviewer

Thank you on behalf of each and every member of my team here for your detailed review of your recent experience at The Twelve Apostles Hotel and Spa.

I am very pleased that you recognised our high level of service. We have a very passionate and dedicated team who work consistently hard to make sure each and every guest has a memorable stay with us. It is most rewarding to read that you did.

Similar care is taken at our sister properties, Bushman’s Kloof and The Oyster Box, which form part of the wider Red Carnation Family – therefore, please consider including these in your travelling itinerary in the future.

Thank you again for staying with us. We are looking forward to your next visit.

Warm regards,

Louisville, Kentucky
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

First, Capetown, Camps Bay, and 12A were beyond expectation. The coastal view alone was very good. 12A staff and service was solid, making you feel welcome from the moment you set foot on property. The food at Azure was very good and the Leopard Bar was a great end to the evening every night - both balconies provided fantastic sunsets. If you stay, take advantage of the shuttle and concierge services to Camps Bay, V&A, Capetown - just ask, they'll take care of it or give you options. The issue I had during a week stay, I would consider minor (thought others might consider not so for this price), would suggest the staff communicate more with guests when these arise. Be sure to take the hike up the hills behind the hotel, either for exercise or picnic - its worth it.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Horst F, General Manager at The Twelve Apostles Hotel and Spa, responded to this review, February 17, 2013
Dear Trip Advisor Reviewer

Thank you for taking the time to leave your very kind words following your stay at The Twelve Apostles Hotel and Spa.

I was delighted to read that you had a wonderful time with us and got to sample all that the hotel has to offer. At our hotel guests can enjoy the best of both world - the tranquility and pristine natural beauty surrounding the hotel, with Table Mountain National Park and the Atlantic Ocean Marine Reserve as backdrop. The hourly, complimentary shuttle service between the Hotel, Camps Bay and the V&A Waterfront allows guests easy access to both Camps Bay and Waterfront Restaurants.

Please note that the same level of care is taken to ensure a similar memorable experience at our other properties Bushman’s Kloof and The Oyster Box which form part of the wider Red Carnation Family.

I really do hope that you come back and stay with us again in the near future.

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

My husband I stayed in this amazing hotel for three nights and during this time we also had our wedding within this incredible venue!

Well, where do I start...the hotel is without a shadow of a doubt the best hotel we have ever stayed in (and we have stayed in a lot of nice places)! The rooms are uniquely decorated with attention to detail and our room (along with a few others our guests were staying in) had amazing views of either the ocean or the Twelve Apostles backdrop - beautiful!

The spa is also worthwhile a visit and the treatments so relaxing and reasonably priced!

The views here really are unbeatable which leads me on to the hotel as our wedding venue...we booked the venue from the UK based on some photos and recommendations....and I can honestly say that there was no disappointment when we arrived. The hotel as a wedding venue is truly beautiful, with the Fynbos Gardens providing panoramic views of both the Atlantic Ocean and The Twelve Apostles Mountain range. I couldnt imagine a more magical venue and that really is just the start. The Atlantic Marquee provides a stunning setting for a sunset reception and we couldnt be happier with the way in which it looked on the day, everything we could ever have dreamed of and more!! In particular we need to say a special thank you to Stehanie Hall, our AMAZING wedding co-ordinator who we really couldnt have done it all without. No request is too large or difficult for Stephanie and she has been brilliant. She is a credit to the Red Carnation Group and she did everything she could to meet our needs on the day. The staff in general were attentive throughout the day and even our guests were quick to tell us that the staff couldnt have done more to help them out or assist them. They were extremely well organised and they made a perfect team in a perfect location.!!!!

Aside from the wedding, particular thanks goes to Dale (the concierge) for being generally amazing and on-hand at anytime - nothing was too much hassle for him!

If you are considering staying here, then don't hesitate, it is worth every penny!

Room Tip: We would definitely recommend the sea view suites, although all the rooms we saw were exquisite!
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Horst F, General Manager at The Twelve Apostles Hotel and Spa, responded to this review, February 16, 2013
Dear Trip Advisor Reviewer

Congratulations once again on your recent marriage! We trust that your day was filled with happy memories of the past and bright hopes for the future.

Thank you for choosing to spend this very special occasion with us at The Twelve Apostles Hotel and Spa. We are delighted that we have been able to be part of your very special memories.

I was extremely happy to read that we delivered a service that met your expectations and that Stephanie Hall, our personal wedding coordinator, and Dale Scholtz, our assistant concierge, had such a positive impact on your stay with us. All of the team here always tries their hardest to anticipate our guest’s needs and I have passed on your kind words to them.

Many thanks for staying with us; we look forward to welcoming you back on many future anniversaries.

Maldon, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2013

Our family has just returned from a three night stay at this fabulous hotel. This is truly first class accommodation and the staff are sooo... friendly, they cannot do enough for you. Upon our arrival, we were upgraded to a magnificent sea-facing suite which surpassed all our expectations. The Azure restaurant served superb food to us both at breakfast and evening dinner. Our son and new daughter-in-law were getting married in the hotel's Fynbos Gardens and I can honestly say that everything went incredibly smoothly. Particular credit should go to Stephanie Hall, the hotel's wedding co-ordinator - nothing was too much trouble and she was always around when we needed her. The Wedding Day was absolutely fantastic - it was a fairy tale wedding and everything the couple had wished for and more. The Atlantic Marquee was amazing - wow, wow, what a setting overlooking the Atlantic ocean, with a stunning sunset. Thank you to all at The Twelve Apostles Hotel for a truly memorable stay.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Dear Trip Advisor Reviewer

I am very pleased that you recognized our high level of service. We have a very passionate and dedicated team who work consistently hard to make sure each and every guest has a memorable stay with us. It is most rewarding to read that you did.

I am overjoyed that our team took good care of you whilst here and that Stephanie Hall, our personal wedding coordinator, had such a positive impact on your stay with us. Stephanie epitomizes the service values and ethics we strive to uphold and I will make sure that this is shared with him at our next employee appreciation party.

Similar care is taken at our sister properties, Bushman’s Kloof and The Oyster Box, which form part of the wider Red Carnation Family – therefore, please consider including these in your traveling itinerary in the future.

Thank you again for staying with us and for allowing us to be part of your very special memories. We are looking forward to your next visit.

Warm regards,

Manchester
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2013

Situated only five kilometres from Camps Bay (5 mins) and only 15 mins from the V&A Waterfront, this is an excellent hotel for a relaxing break.

The rooms are modern and spacious and the beds are very comfortable with a choice of pillows. The rooms are serviced twice a day with the beds being turned down of an evening and a treat and snippet of information along with a bottle of water and ice being left. The staff are very professional, accommodating to your every need.

There is a complimentary shuttle service to and from Camps Bay and the V&A.

Although this is an expensive hotel it is a five star hotel and you really do get what you pay for. The attention is in the detail and we would definitely stay here again.

Thank you to all at the 12A for a relaxing stay.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Trip Advisor Reviewer

Thank you on behalf of each and every member of my team here for your detailed review of your recent stay at The Twelve Apostles Hotel and Spa.

Reading such a great report on our service and facilities is a real pleasure. I am happy that you enjoyed and appreciated all the small touches that we believe makes The Twelve Apostles Hotel and Spa truly special. Our team strive to deliver the highest levels of personal service and I am delighted that we took such special care of you.

The team at The Twelve Apostles is thrilled that you enjoyed your time with us and would like to invite you to also experience our other properties Bushman’s Kloof and The Oyster Box, which form part of the wider Red Carnation Family.

Many thanks for staying with us; we look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Birmingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013 via mobile

we stayed at the 12A during late January and early February 2013. I have stayed at many high quality hotels across the world and I have to say that this beats the lot. The views are incredible, the food superb and the service was exemplary. We found that nothing was too much trouble for the staff and little touches which showed attention to detail were commonplace. We also found the staff to be extremely friendly and highly professional. The hotel was not cheap but you get what you pay for and I have no hesitation in saying that we will be going back.

Thank you for a fantastic holiday, John and lindy

Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear John and Lindy,

Thank you for your lovely review following you stay with us at The Twelve Apostles Hotel and Spa. It is very rewarding to hear we exceeded your expectations and that it was the best hotel experience that you have ever had. What an accolade?

We have a very dedicated team of people who work incredibly hard and who take great pride in consistently offering an exceptional experience to our guests.

I have passed your praise to the whole team, who were equally delighted to hear it. It is always wonderful to hear such positive feedback, and it motivates us to work even harder when our high level of service is acknowledged.

I do hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to The Twelve Apostles Hotel and Spa in the not too distant future and please do not hesitate to contact us if we can be of assistance with any future bookings.

Horst W. Frehse

Been to The Twelve Apostles Hotel and Spa? Share your experiences!