“Wonderful Wonderful Wonderful!!!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 14 hotels in Camps Bay
Chicago, Illinois
“Wonderful Wonderful Wonderful!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013

My husband and I stayed at the Pod in Camps Bay last week. It was absolutly amazing. Everybody was so nice, the service was the best we've ever had, and the rooms and view were breathtaking. I only wish we could have stayed longer. I would recommend this hotel to anybody going to Cape Town. Probably the best place we have ever stayed.
Hylton and Stephanie
Chicago, IL

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
BrendanBoyle, General Manager at POD Camps Bay, responded to this review, March 3, 2013
Dear Stephanie & Hylton

Thank you for your review.

I am delighted to hear that you felt that POD was one of the best properties that you have ever stayed at. Your commendations on the level of service at the hotel is warmly received.

We also wish that you could have stayed longer, maybe next time...

300 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (98)
London, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013

We had a fantastic six night stay at Pod Hotel last week. Yes we expected luxury, good service, style etc but the hotel delivered that and more. We had the luxury room on the second floor with sea views which was beautiful - sleek and modern although smaller than expected. Perfect for a couple on a romantic break but beware if you are travelling with friends or family (you can see into the shower from the bedroom and vice versa as the shower is semi open plan and the toilet noise does carry due to the glass door!). The multi levels was also a hazard after too many glasses of bubbles at the wonderful Bungalow bar. Shame the room didn't have a bath but given the space to be expected. These are just minor observations none of which detracted from the well designed luxurious space. The rest of the hotel is also very modern with a great pool/ lounge area. It is perfectly located about 50 meters from the main strip which has all the restaurants and bars but set back a little from the strip which affords some privacy and quiet.

Brendan and his staff were fantastic and could not do enough for us - they did all the obvious things like book you taxis and recommend restaurants and bars but for me it was the little touches: one night I was ill and we stayed in, watched a film and ordered food in from a nearby restaurant through the front desk. Not only did the staff go and pick up the food, they arranged it on plates on a tray with cutlery and delivered it to our room with condiments (including Tobasco sauce (see below)). They also asked whether they could make us fresh popcorn to enjoy with our film. Class. On the first morning my boyfriend requested Tobasco sauce with his food as he likes his omelette spicy. From then on every morning the waiter would bring him Tobasco sauce without being asked. Other examples of Triple A* service; gave us water in a cooler bag when we ventured out on day trips, offered us complimentary beach set up where they would go to the beach and set you up a space with deck chairs, umbrellas, cooler bag with water and bat and ball so that you could saunter to the beach and relax in style. They gave me access to their spa area so I could have a shower and change after we checked out but needed to hang around for our late flight (spa area was complete with toiletries, bathrobe, towels etc). Book, book now!

Room Tip: All the rooms with sea views are gorgeous - the rooms with mountain views looked very very small.
Dear "W0rld_Traveller_29"

Thank you for sharing your recent experience at POD Camps Bay in such detail.

I am thrilled that you had so many positive things to say about your stay with us.

I appreciate you highlighting the small observations such as the size of the room, raised platform, bath etc. We are as transparent as possible when sending out any information on our property, whether it be during the booking process or via our website and 3rd party booking engines. Comprehensive reviews such as yours help to paint a broader picture of our product.

Antwerp, Belgium
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2013 via mobile

We stayed in the mini-mountain room, which was fine, only the aircon did not work but this was mended the next day.
Extremely friendly staff. Great inspiration when you want to renovate or refurbish your home, got some good and cheap wall cladding ideas, thks POD.

Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
BrendanBoyle, General Manager at POD Camps Bay, responded to this review, February 22, 2013
Dear "Boeykens"

Thank you for posting your review about your recent stay at POD Camps Bay.

My apologies again for the air-conditioning issue, I am just glad that we managed to get it resolved swiftly.

I am delighted to hear that you were inspired by the design of our property and that you are able to use our wood cladding detail in your own home. We used various thicknesses of a local wood called "Swart Hout" which was later toned down with a grey wood rub.

Should you need any additional information, please don't hesitate to contact me.

London, UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2013

Our recent stay at POD was a brilliant experience. Although we had booked a Mountain View room, it was so well designed that its more modest size (when compared to the others on offer in the property) did not detract at all from its benefits.

The room was spotlessly clean and really well thought out. I loved the contemporary feel and the quality finish. The bed was enormously comfortable and we slept like logs. The only small niggle is that there did not seem to be very many electrical sockets - and we had to move the kettle over to the floor by the bed if we wanted a drink. Hardly a major concern.

The breakfasts at POD were great. In fact, there was so much variety on offer (including full cooked options) that I am sure we needn't have eaten lunch (although, of course, we did).

The greatest thing about POD is the enthusiasm and commitment of the staff. From Brendan down, nothing was too much trouble. They arranged a very efficient airport pick up and later volunteered to sort out car hire. Cabs were arranged efficiently as necessary and Brendan offered to sort out our Robben Island tickets for us one evening when we asked him about the tour. Before our visit, they recommended some great restaurants and were happy to make reservations on our behalf.

The weather was a bit dodgy for the first couple of days of our trip but nothing took the shine off the experience for us. I would thoroughly recommend POD if you are seeking a comfortable, stylish property close to the action in Camps Bay but utterly devoid of pretention.

Dear "TedLondon"

Thank you for taking the time to post such a comprehensive and glowing report about POD Camps Bay.

I am glad to hear that you enjoyed the layout, contemporary feel and the quality finishes in the rooms. I have noted your point about the plug points in the rooms and we are looking to add a dedicated socket for the coffee and tea station.

Thank you for the commendations on the quality and variety of our breakfast offering. I have relayed this to the kitchen team.

I am really touched by the paragraph on the service that you received from us during your stay. Having passionate and service driven people is our biggest asset and a part of our operation that we will never compromise. It's good to know that this approach makes a big difference to ones stay!

Wishing you all the best.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013 via mobile

I have just returned from a fantastic stay at The Pod hotel and feel compelled to provide excellent feedback. I booked this hotel through Go2Africa (Candice McCarthy) and it exceeded the expectations of my friend Peggy and I - together we were celebrating a joint milestone birthday & the Pod staff ensured this birthday would be forever remembered.

The impressive architecture & decor was the first thing that blew me away, followed by the spectacular view from the pool & bar area. With only 15 rooms the staff truly provided first class customer service and always appeared to be quietly available when we needed them without being over the top. We got to know most of them & our personal thanks to Michaela, Nick, Dominic, 2 x Brian's, Jabu, Macfloyd - together they make a very special team & other hotels could learn a lot from them. I would say they have cornered the market for a "top class boutique hotel, without being pretentious".

I would also share the views of the previous reviewer about the quirky open plan bathroom layout, which would be fine for couples sharing a room, however for non-couples sharing a twin room this isn't ideal. In saying that, this was only a minor observation and not enough to diminish all other aspects of the superb bedrooms.

Finally the recommendations made by staff for restaurants, tourist trips etc were also excellent, in particular the services offered by Go Cabz who offer a safe, reliable and cost effective shuttle & tour service. We spent half a day on a personal tour with Riaz Gool who tailored a trip according to our needs, avoiding the usual tourist trail, and provided an insightful, local view of the area which was great value for money & thoroughly enjoyable.

Overall the Pod made this holiday one that we will never forget & I look forward to staying at the Pod again. Many thanks Karen x

Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
BrendanBoyle, General Manager at POD Camps Bay, responded to this review, February 13, 2013
Dear Karen & Peggy

It was a pleasure hosting you and Peggy during your Birthday celebration trip to South Africa. I am truly blown away that your time with us exceeded your expectations and that your Birthdays will be forever remembered.

I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed the design and architecture of the hotel as well as the service offering from the team. I have passed this feedback onto Micaela, Nick, Dominic, Jabu, McFloyd and the two Brian's. I will also relay your feedback to Riaz at Go Cabs.

With regards to the open plan bathroom layout, we are working on a solution to screen off this section should guests decide that they would like more privacy in the rooms.

We look forward to seeing you and Peggy again on your next "Milestone Birthday".

Gloucester, MA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013

We finished or two week trip to South Africa at POD Camp's Bay, at the recommendation of our travel agent, Liesl Matthews of African Safari Consultants. We wanted something smart and close to the beach. Nothing that screamed "touristy." POD hit the mark. We had a lovely room with plunge pool that overlooked the beach at Camp's Bay. Some may find elements in the room a bit too trendy. One way glass looking in the toilet from the shower, multi-levels and awkward positioning of the sink (shaving was a small challenge). That said, we loved POD. Breakfast was a gorgeous spread and the made to order hot breakfast was excellent. The overall location in Camp's Bay is perfect. Close to the action, yet away from it as well. The entire staff was gracious, informed and accommodating. As our flight back to the US left Cape Town at 10:40pm, we were generously granted a very late checkout. This made for an enjoyable day in the city, not worrying about bag storage, etc. The ONLY drawback we had (and it was my issue) was that when out by the private plunge pool, you could hear every conversation, etc. of the neighboring plunge pools. The separators between the decks allows for sound to travel (and cigar smoke). That only happened on one day, as the others checked out.
The public areas are gorgeous. The dining room, bar and pool area quite elegant. We will be back!

Room Tip: Plunge pool rooms are lovely. The water a bit chilly. The water views are excellent from the 1st flo...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
BrendanBoyle, General Manager at POD Camps Bay, responded to this review, February 5, 2013
Dear "Hadley_Smith"

We had been waiting in suspense for our 100th review and it wasn't in vain!
Thank you for such a glowing report about your recent experience at POD Camps Bay.

I am delighted to read about how you described our property as it is exactly how we planned on positioning ourselves in the industry. "Smart, close to the Camps Bay beach and attractions, yet distant enough to be away from the noise. Nothing that screamed touristy."

Thank you for your commendations on the level of service that you experienced at our property, this is one area of our business where we set ourselves apart from the others. Our "Can Do" attitude makes a huge impact on ones stay at the hotel.

With regards to the soundproofing between the plunge pools, you will be happy to know that we are addressing this issue during the winter months. We will be working with a company called St. Gobain / Gyproc in an effort to reduce noise pollution in certain areas of the hotel.

We look forward to welcoming you back to POD.

Quebec City, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2013

I don't really know what to say that is not going to sound redundant considering all the other reviews describing this wonderful Boutique Hotel. Aside from the exceptional design what really sets it apart is the staff. They speak softly and they seem to know what your next wish is going to be and, there it is, you've got it before you even thought of asking for it.

All around, just a pretty wonderful place to be...

Marc

Room Tip: We have a corner suite 101. Fabulous view!
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
BrendanBoyle, General Manager at POD Camps Bay, responded to this review, February 12, 2013
Dear Marc

It was an absolute pleasure hosting you during your stay in Camps Bay.
I trust that you enjoyed the rest of your trip through South Africa.

Thank you for the short but sweet review, I am thrilled to hear that you enjoyed the service from my team as well as the design of our building.

Good luck with your property development project!

General Manager, POD Camps Bay

Been to POD Camps Bay? Share your experiences!