“Fresh, fresh fish” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #2 of 30 Restaurants in Camps Bay
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: Seafood, Sushi
Good for: Scenic view, Families with children, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Delivery, Late Night, Reservations
Purley
“Fresh, fresh fish”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2013

We really enjoyed the atmosphere and set up for the Codfather. Fish was delicious and the freshest and best cooked of all fish we had during our two weeks in the area (and we ate a lot of fish!),
Sushi was also delicious. Great place although more expensive than many other places.

Visited February 2013

• Greek first
Welwyn, United Kingdom
“This is how you deal with a poor customer experience ......”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2013

No frills, first floor fish restaurant in Camps Bay, with all the fish on display for you to choose what you want. Waiter escorts you to the counter to pick which fish(s) you will eat, which are then weighed and priced on the spot. Fish is seasoned, grilled and served with veg and potatoes/rice. So, everything relies on perfect cooking and immediate service. A selection of yummy sauces accompany the meal.

This did not work for us. Waiter asks when you want the fish to be sent for cooking. We held off to enjoy our wine and the bread ..... or not, as it turned out, until we reminded the waiter about our bread, and some water.

Fish was duly cooked, when we requested it, but then the wheels really came off. When it arrived, my kingklip was perfect, the monkfish a little over and my wife's beautiful king prawns grilled to rubber. The accompanying chips were not the best either. And the vegetables? Never arrived!

We ploughed through, without sight of our waiter until we had "finished", and asked for the bill, not wishing to prolong the experience. We commented on the poor food, and the floor manager was called and leapt into action. What followed was an example of exactly how to deal with a customer problem.

First, more enormous prawns were cooked to perfection and presented to both of us. Hard to rate the food as anything but good when you tasted these beauties. Then the bill appeared without my wife's fish on it. Then the owner intercepted us on the way out and tried to give us a bottle of wine by recompense. That's how to handle serving a poor meal to a customer!

Bottom line, I'm afraid was the waiter did a crummy job, and I suspect, in addition to forgetting bread, water and vegetables, left the food too long under the light, instead of serving it.

I commented on our experience to our b+b manager next morning, and she then rang the restaurant owner to complain further! You don't want to step out of line when a local hotel recommends your restaurant!!

Will we go back? Well, there is no way the Codfather could have done more to fix the problem. We now have an offer of a free meal, which we could not take up, as our stay in SA had ended. Clearly they can cook great fish, as my meal and the subsequent prawns proved, and we left satisfied that they care about a customer's experience, which is not true of all restaurants. I expect we will try again next year.

• Visited February 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Lucerne, Switzerland
“Fantastic fish”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2013

No fuss and no menu - just really great fish. We had a selection of fish (kingklip, angel fish, cape salmon) and some prawns. The prawns were amazing and the fish very nice and fresh. We went around 5 PM so it was not very busy but I can imagine it can get very full and load once it fills up. Absolutely great fish, will go again!

• Visited March 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Huddersfield, England, United Kingdom
“Fish to die for”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2013

Service by the staff was excellant, our waiter could not do enough to make our meal the best. Fish was cooked to perfection.

Visited February 2013
Vancouver, Canada
“My best endorsement for all us seafood lovers.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013

A fascinating evening that I will remember always; I gladly give the Codfather top marks.

The Codfather wins my personal award for ‘Innovative Dinning Experience’ for what is for me a very unique approach to dinner: rather than a menu, you select your seafood from a display case filled with a generously diverse selection of fruit-du-mer, filled with treats enough to satisfy the appetites of even the most picky fisherman. Langoustine, lobster, prawns of all sizes, fresh calamari, thick fillets of white fish, red fish and those in-between – all cooked to succulent perfection. Best langoustines ever – EVER. Everyone else messes those up but the Codfather scores 10 out of 10. Your dinner is accompanied by your choice of chips or rice, and is served with four sauces: peri-peri, lemon butter, garlic butter and one more I can’t remember, but all were great (fiery hot peri-peri!). They also have an excellent al-a-carte sushi menu that you can have as either an appetizer or a main, if you prefer. Wine selection is good and very reasonably priced; the food is worth every rand and you’ll be proud of rewarding yourself for spending on such a lovely treat.

The atmosphere is also very enjoyable: relaxed and casual, without pretentiousness and an excellent view of the coast where you can watch the sunset and see the stars. I should be more descriptive here but I was too busy enjoying my food to remember the environment…that’s a good thing! You can see more the of the restaurant from the Codfather’s website – the pictures are the real deal.

For me, the best part was meeting the owner: what a charming, upstanding and personable fellow – he really made me feel that I was ‘Customer Number One’ and that is something that only the very best of establishments offer. To the owner: thank you so much for a memory that I have shared with all my friends and will keep forever – you’ve set a standard for me!

• Visited February 2013