“Good standard hotel” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Protea Hotel Durbanville

You added Protea Hotel Durbanville to your Saves list
Protea Hotel Durbanville
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   99 Jip de Jager Drive | Tygervalley, Bellville 7530, South Africa   |
Hotel deals
Certificate of Excellence 2014
London, United Kingdom
“Good standard hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

When I booked the hotel, I knew it would be situated in the middle of a vineyard but wasn't sure whether this was a year-round or mostly summer-biased hotel. As it turned out, the hotel, itself, was good but my room (or should I say - suite?) turned out to be rather cold for a winter visit.
But, that was the only criticism I could make against the hotel.
From my arrival through to my departure, all staff were obviously aware of the need to present a friendly and welcoming face. This willingness to smile and engage with the hotel residents appeared to be a natural thing - making the stay a very pleasant one.
Breakfasts had sufficient choice for most people and the freshly-made omelettes were especially nice.
The restaurant had quite a good range of menu choices. Service was a little slow for me but I think this was more to allow guests to relax and enjoy their meals rather than poor management. The quality of the food and wine was higher than I'd expected.
My room was quite a surprise. Instead of just a single bedroom with adjoining en-suite, I had a lounge, double-bed room (with adjoining shower room) plus an upstairs bedroom containing two single beds with an adjoining bathroom. Because of the height of the ceiling in the lounge area (which also had a small kitchen-style area with sink, fridge, microwave cooker and two hot-plates) was so high that the room did get cold in the evening. Although there was an air conditioning unit that also could blow hot or cold air, the volume of space to fill meant that the room didn't get warm at floor level for a couple of hours. I did stay warm, though, thanks to the warm blanket provided in the bedroom closet.
I think this was a very nice place to stay but would be so much nicer in the summer months than the winter months. I'll definitely stay here again, though, if my business brings me back to this region.

Room Tip: If you are staying in the winter months, try to get a room in the main hotel area or, alternatively...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
PHDhotel, General Manager at Protea Hotel Durbanville, responded to this review, July 8, 2013
Dear Ronelle J 1955

It is absolutely wonderful to receive such a positive positing from a GUEST that enjoyed their stay. It is great that you took your precious time to write such an extensive report as this is the best method of telling the whole world how great we are. On a daily basis we try and look after each and every GUEST as good as possible because Best GUEST Service is what sets you apart from any other business out there. The TEAM at Protea Hotel Durbanville is very proud of our business and our careers and this is highlighted in the way we treat our GUESTS and fellow colleagues every day.

We are all looking forward to welcoming you back to Protea Hotel Durbanville.

Protea Hotel Durbanville

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Boksburg, Gauteng, South Africa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2013

This hotel is easy to access, well located to springboard into any part of the Cape Town surrounds. Away from the hustle and bustle but close enough to get there quickly. The surrounds are quiet and tranquil. I stayed in one of the apartments. It was very clean. The bedroom and bathroom were a bit small. There was a door leading onto the outdoor garden and this was pleasant to look out over. The staff are friendly and welcoming. Quick to help and give advise. The food was lovely. I will go back again be it for business or leisure.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Good afternoon Debbie W

Thank you so much for your very positive feedback on Protea Hotel Durbanville. We are so grateful for your honest feedback on our facilities, location and our always willing STAFF.

We will always try and go the extra mile to look after each and every GUEST.

We are all looking to assist you with your next stay at the Protea Hotel Durbanville.

Johannesburg, South Africa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013 via mobile

I had the pleasure of staying at this hotel in September 2012. The rooms are comfortable, clean and spacious. The staff are super friendly and efficient. The hotel is surrounded by a vineyard, but unfortunately I didn't get the opportunity to explore the vineyard and other amenities offered by this beautiful hotel. I can recommend this hotel with confidence.

Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
PHDhotel, General Manager at Protea Hotel Durbanville, responded to this review, June 25, 2013
Dear RonelleJ1955

Thank you so much for spending your valuable time to post such a beautiful motivational letter on Tripadvisor. I can guarantee you that your letter of approval means the world to my STAFF and our Management TEAM. Through hard work and complete dedication our STAFF has made it possible to make your and other GUESTS experiences memorable.

I would like to once again thank you for spreading the positive news and for being an ambassador for our hotel.

P.S. The vineyards are looking beautiful...take some time and spend it in nature.

Have a great evening.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2013

Was a resident at Protea Hotel Durbanville, i must say i enjoyed my stay and their stake made me forget i was away!! The service was excellent and the staff members are helpful and friendly. Special thanks to the management team, they are hands on and alwys avail themselves wen needed.

I'm now back at the Hotel and im still loving it.... Im certain i will be back in few weeks time. Keep up the good work

• Stayed May 2013
PHDhotel, General Manager at Protea Hotel Durbanville, responded to this review, June 14, 2013
Dear MokgalakaJ

Thank you so much for your kind words. I am so glad that our TEAM looked after you so well especially Chef with your monster steak. It is always great to see you on your return to our hotel and we will most definitely continue to strive for perfection.

May you have a great long weekend ahead.

Our TEAM is looking forward to your return.

Centurion
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

Having now stayed at the Protea Hotel in Durbanville several times, I firmly believe this hotel is a winner, well situated within easy access of anywhere in Cape Town, located in the most beautiful surroundings, excellent facilities, professionally managed and great staff. I have no hesitation in recommending this hotel to even the most discerning guest.
To Mynhardt de Jongh and his team, much appreciated and well done.

Regards

Rod Duarte

CEO DuArte Corporation International

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Dear Rod D

To have a GUEST fill in a Hot or Not card and rating us a 10 every single time you visit is absolutely fantastic. To have a Special GUEST posting a Tripadvisor review is out of this world. Nothing satisfy our TEAM and our Management TEAM more than a completely satisfied GUEST.

This is the best motivational tool ever. You have assisted us in making sure that globally all interested GUESTS have first hand information on how we provide BEST GUEST SERVICE.

May you have a great weekend and may we welcome you back to your home away from home very soon.

Best regards

Cape Town Central, South Africa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2013

I have to praise the staff at the Protea Hotel’s for their professionalism and the great service they provided us for the wedding celebration we held at the Protea Hotel Durbanville on 1 June 2013.

We will definitely recommend and be using this venue in future.

Thank you to Olivia Sylverster and her team.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
PHDhotel, General Manager at Protea Hotel Durbanville, responded to this review, June 10, 2013
Good morning Samantha V

Our TEAM is so grateful that we could have been part of making your day a success. Thank you so much for the positive feedback on our facilities, the efficiency of our STAFF and most definitely Olivia and her TEAM. This will mean the world to them as there is no better way to hear that you and your TEAM are performing really well, than directly from the GUESTS.

Your positive comments will fuel my TEAM to continue to strive for better and more efficient best GUEST service.

Thank you for offering to be our future ambassadors for this stunning property.

Until we meet again.

Johannesburg, South Africa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2013

I stayed at the Protea Hotel for 2 weeks while on a business trip. I would like to thank the staff for their professionalism and accommodating nature. It is not often that you experience a team of staff that are so happy and proud of their roles and responsibilities, it really shows. Always smiling, greeting and assisting whenever and wherever they can. Thanks again to all the staff!

The food – hats off to the chefs and their team of assistants. The food is amazing. Presentation, taste, flavours, variety, you guys have it all. It was a welcoming treat to have such nice food, especially when you away from home so long. Thanks again to the entire kitchen team.

The management team at Protea Hotel have definitely got a winning combination in terms of the environment that they have created, professional, friendly, cosy and welcoming. I can’t wait to book in again the next time I am in Cape Town.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Dear Neville D

First of all I would like to apologies for not replying to your stunning posting. I have no idea why I have skipped this review.

Thank you so much for your objective and most definitely positive views on our property, STAFF and management TEAM.

You stayed for two weeks as mentioned and this is a true and great reflection of how we try and provide superb service and best GUEST Service seven days a week.

I am so proud of my entire TEAM and together we make it happen through easy and tough times. This is so motivational for our entire TEAM as your recognition tells us that all our hard work is paying off.

We are all looking forward to welcoming you back.

May you travel safely.

Best regards

Protea Hotel Durbanville

Been to Protea Hotel Durbanville? Share your experiences!