“Happy Stay at Protea Hotel Tyger Valley” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Protea Hotel Durbanville

You added Protea Hotel Durbanville to your Saves list
Protea Hotel Durbanville
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   99 Jip de Jager Drive | Tygervalley, Bellville 7530, South Africa   |
Hotel deals
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Earn Rewards Points!
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Bellville
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Port Elizabeth, South Africa
“Happy Stay at Protea Hotel Tyger Valley”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2013

We had a very happy, comfortable stay. All the staff were incredibly friendly and helpful. The room decor was modern and refreshing, everything worked and was very clean. We were immediately assisted with every request we had. It is often very difficult travelling with a toddler, but the staff assisted not only with a camper cot in our room but also a baby bath and they all took the time to greet him and spent a few minutes keeping him entertained when they saw him. Breakfast was delicious and it was a delight to have complimentary Wifi. We accidentally left something in our room and the hotel immediately made arrangements to have it couriered to our home. We would be delighted to stay at the Protea Tyler Valley hotel again. Barry Hilton

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
PHDhotel, General Manager at Protea Hotel Durbanville, responded to this review, June 5, 2013
Good evening Barry H

Our hotel strives to achieve superb and efficient best GUEST service as this is the basis of any successful operation, thus it is great to hear stunning feedback from a family that travels more than three quarters of their lives.

It was great having little Jack here. His always friendly and it is quite strange how small things make an impression. Every time I enter or leave the hotel through the front door I see the green and red light and I think back of how this automated door amused him.

It was a pleasure arranging for the bongo drum to be returned to your home.

We are all awaiting your return to your home away from home.

Have a great evening, safe travels and alweider zein

P.S.: Our hotels name is Protea Hotel Durbanville and not Protea Hotel TygerValley...do not worry...just as long as you know where we are on your return in the near future.

Protea Hotel Durbanville

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Cape Town
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2013

What a pleasure it is to have my meetings, and to occasionally work from such a professional and well managed Hotel. The warm smiles and exquisite hospitality, leaves me breathless each time I enter this beautiful place. I applaud management and the staff , in making guests feel special. What a positive ambience I experience each time. Well Done Protea Hotel Durbanville, Keep up the great work. May your team continue to strive for excellence!!!
Regards,
Janine Roos
Director
Camel Rock Events

Dear Events CRE (Janine)

First of all thank you so much for such a beautiful Tripadvisor posting.

Being a successful business women you most definitely understand that the only difference between one company and another company is best GUEST service.

I am delighted that you could describe our hotel and a well managed hotel. Every single STAFF member is just as important as the management TEAM and visa versa.

We are always trying to be the best in our field and positive comments and feedback like yours make us more determined to strive for continued success.

May you have a great evening and we are awaiting your next visit.

Protea Hotel Durbanville.
Cape Town Central, South Africa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2013

What a friendly and efficient bunch of people. The food was of the highest standard and always fresh and crumptious. And a special thanks to Mynard De Jong the GM for such a warm welcome. Will definately be back! Thanks from Mark Smillie

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
PHDhotel, General Manager at Protea Hotel Durbanville, responded to this review, May 27, 2013
Dear Smillie 312659

As the leader in this hotel it is absolutely fantastic to receive a stunning review like yours. I am so grateful that our TEAM could have provided you with scrumptious food and excellent service.

Thank you so much for sharing your experience globally and we are looking forward to welcoming you back on your return to our fine establishment.

Johannesburg, South Africa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2013

I have visited the Protea Hotel Tyger Valley, Welgemoed, South Africa for 7 times and with my 5th visit I received a welcome free Pizza dinner as a regular visitor to their fine establishment. I have received nothing but warm, friendly and awake service from the moment I arrive to the moment I leave.

No one will ever walk past you without greeting you and that too with a smile.

The food in the restaurant is of great quality and tasty.

The rooms are comfortable and cater for most needs as a traveler.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
PHDhotel, General Manager at Protea Hotel Durbanville, responded to this review, May 24, 2013
Good day Collen R

Thank you so much for such a stunning review. Thank you for sharing your great experience on a global platform for so many other potential GUESTS to share in your experience.

Tour review summarize what we as the Protea Hotel Durbanville TEAM strives and lives for on a day to day basis....stunning facilities, great rates and the friendliest efficient service not even money can buy.

We cannot wait on your return to our beautiful property to keep on providing excellent service and great flavoured food.

Cape Town Central, South Africa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013

We facilitated a 2-day Purposeful Teams (WorldsView) process for 31 people and were blown away by the incredible service as well as the venue. The internal facilities were superb, and the access to fresh air and sunlight enhanced the experience for our delegates. We arrived at 7am to set up and found that, although the room had been laid out very neatly, it did not suit our needs perfectly. There were a number of staff on hand to assist, and they re-arranged tables and chairs to our specific requirements. Throughout the 2 days, staff were on hand to accommodate our needs. They were all extremely friendly and accommodating. We wouldn't hesitate to book again and recommend to anyone!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
PHDhotel, General Manager at Protea Hotel Durbanville, responded to this review, May 22, 2013
Dear JustinKiley

I am delighted to hear of your great experience at our beautiful property. Our mantra is "Value Beyond Expectation" and there is not a day that passes without a motivational session about how to make a business a very successful business: Listen to your GUESTS and they will tell you what they want....then apply it to every single thing you attempt.

Thank you for the great comments and we really hope that you are out there being a true ambassador for our establishment as mentioned in your review.

Our TEAM is looking forward to welcoming you back and providing you with superb service at your home away from home.

Durbanville, Western Cape, South Africa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013

Situated amongst the vineyards of the Durbanville Wine Route the hotel has the sirene feeling of a country side hotel. It is well away from the noise of the city and the highways, yet within easy access via major roads. The architecture reminds of the Cape Dutch Style buildings of the Cape Winelands. The open plan design encompass an inviting swimming pool and pizza oven. The open verandahs and cool trees boast a relaxing retreat, whether on a hot summer's day, a gentle autumn evening or a sunny winter mid-day. This is always a popular area frequented during our regular visits. And if the winter days or evenings are too cool, you can always snuggle up in front of a cosy fireplace in the large but homely lounge area. And what better place to savour a local wine from the neighbouring wine farms and cellars of the Durbanville Hills?

You can enjoy your lunch or dinner right there in the lounge or in the on site restaurant. The walls of the restaurant is lined with bottles of wine from the local vineyards and can be ordered from the winelist. Another wall portrays the history of the original farm on which the hotel was developed. The historic black and white photographs furthers the suggestion of a homely and relaxed farm house dining room. While the rough finish of the ceiling evokes the suggestion of a wine cellar somewhere in a remote castle on the banks of a German or French river. But once you have awaken from your brief daydream it is time to spoil your tastebuds to some of the splendid dishes from the menu. And if you don't find what you like on the menu, the friendly and efficient staff and chef will gladly assist in making your eating experience an unforgettable one. Expect to have a 5 star cullinary experience but pay the same as at your favourite family restaurant. And do not forget to enquire about their evening special of the day. The Friday night special of 1 (one) kilogram of prawns is an excellent buy and a challenge to finish to most diners we have seen ordering it. My partner and I both struggled to finish off the load of "creepy crawlies" tasting as if they were caught and brought freshly to the kitchen just before being prepared.

In addition to all the above, indulge in a cultural experience by starting a conversation with one of the staff members: whether it is the local Cape Culture, the rich traditions of the isiXhosa people, the proud heritage of the isiZulu or any of the other indiginous tribes or to find out more about the harsh realities of the neighbouring Zimbabwe, there will be a staff member to assist.

The hotel is child friendly and during school holidays you will find special kiddies meals for your loved ones. The family rooms are an affordable option for the family travelling.

The best part of the Protea Hotel Durbanville Experience is surely the visibility and availability of the management team, people you often only read about in the inpersonal note found in your information file. The Duty Manager will surely introduce him or herself to you during your stay. And don't be surprised if your name pops up on the screen at reception on your arrival.

Do yourself a favour and visit this hotel, whether you are a local or a tourist visiting the Cape Metropole.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
PHDhotel, General Manager at Protea Hotel Durbanville, responded to this review, May 23, 2013
Dear Douw W

Thank you so much for you absolute fantastic review. You have obviously visited us on a few occasions over the past 22 months of existence. I am delighted that you and your partner still prefers to come and visit us, especially for our "price breaker" Sunday lunch buffets and special occasions.

It is great that you have noticed that our management TEAM are just as visible as the rest of the STAFF. The only way to make sure that you STAFF buys into your management TEAM is to manage by example. The philosophy of : Together Everyone Achieves More lives at this establishment 24 hours a day.

Thank you, once again, for your positive and truthful review, and we will continue to strive to give, both you and your partner, superb GUEST service and to maintain all service levels in order for other GUESTS to also experience what you have described.

Pretoria, South Africa
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2013

I reviewed this Hotel in August 2012 and spoke very favourably of the hotel. The only negative in my previous comment was regarding some cleaning issues. Since then I have stayed more than ten times in the Hotel, mostly for business and usually for two days at a time.

I am sad to report that my previous review, as the Hotel becomes more popular and busy, that service levels and standard have dropped on many levels.

Some examples. During February 2013, one Saturday morning I left my Hotel at 08:00. Two room service trays from the previous evening were still in the passage. I was surprised to find that the same trays were still in the passage in front of room 116 when I returned at about 17:00.

I found the duty manager and informed him of the trays. He said he would take care of it. Half an hour later I reported it to reception and was informed that they will sort it out. An hour later I found the same manager at the bar and expressed my dismay to the manager. He then complaint about the staff who are lazy and apparently that some that did not turn up for work. A few patrons at the Bar then requested him to start to manage and to do the work himself. After an argument he ended up removing the trays himself, 24 hours after it was left in the passage.

A following weekend I was staying in the Hotel with a colleague and we wanted to order dinner in the lounge whilst watching rugby on the big TV. None of the dishes on the menu were available and we did not feel like having pizza. The Zimbabwean barman thendirected to us to a nearby restaurant where we had a good dinner. We also at least two other hotel residents at the same restaurant.

There are many other examples of poorly prepared food, bad service and I can confirm the experiences and disappointments some of the other patrons expressed on these pages about service at this Hotel. About the only trained staff member was the Zimbabwean barman.

The rooms are still nice, you get free Internet, the Hotel is situated in a quiet area making it conducive to rest and work. It is close the business hub in the northern suburbs.

There is a huge turnover of staff and most are not trained in the basic requirements and etiquette when dealing with clients. On my visit last week I was informed that the competent and friendly barman has also left the Hotel. He is now employed at another Hotel in the group

Let’s hope that they can find proper trained staff and restore the service levels to what it was when the Hotel opened its doors.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
PHDhotel, General Manager at Protea Hotel Durbanville, responded to this review, May 20, 2013
Dear Knowtel

First of all I would like to thank you for being a faithful supporter of our hotel.

It is with great disappointment that I have to respond to such a report. We, as a Protea Hotel Durbanville TEAM, have failed you severely.

My TEAM and I have re-looked and re-investigated in our companies mantra "Value Beyond Expectation" and we have come to the same conclusion: We are failing to continuously deliver exceptional GUEST service. It is not the standards that has dropped, but us that has dropped the standards.

For all the mentioned items and concerns, in your report, there is a service level standard, but it has not been successfully managed and executed.

I hope that you will accept my humblest of apologies and that you will trust me that we have identified all the problematic areas of concern and that daily training is being conducted to rectify our short comings.

I hope that I will have the opportunity to welcome you back in the near future.

Mynhardt de Jongh

Been to Protea Hotel Durbanville? Share your experiences!