“Home from home - awesome” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Ellerman House

You added Ellerman House to your Saves list
Ellerman House
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   180 Kloof Road | Cape Town, Bantry Bay 8005, South Africa   |
Offers & Announcements
Journey Promotion
Ranked #3 of 7 Hotels in Bantry Bay
Buenos Aires, Argentina
“Home from home - awesome”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2011

Private, outstanding service and views to die for. The pool is fabulous. The rooms are luxurious. Well worth the price tag but book early. Regulars have their favourite rooms and their regular times of year and they appear to come back year after year. Next time in Cape Town, it has to be Ellerman.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2011

Exceptional service. Delicious food. Lovely art gallery. Good sheltered location and pool just the right termperature. Very good spa. The electronic controls in the bedroom were the only frustration.

Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
Bruges, Belgium
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2011

Great service,beautiful views and excellent location,very good food at affordable prices,could not be better,if you ask me one of the best hotels of the world,can't wait to go back...'
Pierre and Anne-Marie CHEVALIER

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2011

This was the real highlight of our stay in Cape Town. The staff couldn't do enough to make us feel welcome and the facilities were fantastic. We absolutely loved it here.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2010

Stayed at the Ellerman House for several days prior to going on safari. We were delighted with every aspect of this small, charming hotel. The service is first rate as is the cuisine. The guest rooms are large and exquisitely furnished and the public rooms are most elegant. The grounds and sea views are unforgettable..

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
Cape Town Central, South Africa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2010

Ellerman House is a lesson in refinement. The attentive but low key service is reminiscent of the old English Manors, with large staff contingents all squirreling away behind the scenes. The staff is available at all times, but one never has the nagging feeling of being scrutinized by lingering waiters.
We had the privilege of staying in Room 1, which must be the most beautiful room in the entire establishment. Luxurious soft furnishings, bespoke furniture and an ample room to truly settle in, it was a treat! Returning from dinner to find the underfloor heating on and the room aptly turned down for a romantic evening, I was blown away. The bath is huge, shower big enough for two and more towels than you could use in a month.
As a regular eater, the 24 hour full stocked pantry was the deal clincher for me. Being able to snack at your leisure without the formality of a dining room, or the astronomical costs of room service is priceless and I ate my fair share of wasabi nuts, mini quiches (freshly prepared) and other deli treats. We ate all of our meals at EH and the food is out of this world, the best we had in Cape Town. The wine list is extensive and although some of the bottles are wildly expensive, it is to be expected when one considers their pedigree. Our sommelier was well educated and informed, with a good sense of humor.
Gracefully manicured gardens, a magnificent art collection and impeccable taste in interior décor ensure that Ellerman House is a feast for all senses. A perfect romantic hideaway!!!

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
Chicago, IL USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2010

It's not often that I visit a place and don't want to leave after a few days, it’s just my personality. Ellerman House was an exception. My wife and I visited Cape Town for 3 days with another couple and wanted to experience the best accommodations - we feel supremely confident we did. We visited the 3 other well known, highly rated properties in Cape Town and they didn't hold a candle to Ellerman House.

Ellerman House is one of the top three properties my wife and I have stayed at anywhere in the world (we are fairly well traveled and like to stay at the nicest places) with the best service by far of any hotel we have ever stayed at. Only accommodations I can think of where I remember so many names of the staff members - a sincere thank you to Nick, Austen, Claire, Lyeska, MJ, Sam, Mitch, Ella and the rest of the team for making our experience unforgettable.

Ellerman House looks better in person than on the website. Here are a few of the attributes that make the estate so special - perfectly private and secluded, unparalleled professional service that I was blown away by, stunning views from everywhere on the property, only 10 rooms and suites that were all beautifully appointed, fine touches on every last detail, a little snack room with goodies at any hour, a chef who will accommodate just about anything, a private art gallery on the property which is owned by the property owner, a series of unique common rooms/areas that you'll want to just relax in or read next to the fire, a great spa (they’re just building a pool outside the spa that looks like it will be spectacular), a fantastic breakfast spread, etc. I felt as if Ellerman House was my home after a few days and that I lived there with the staff who I wanted to know more and more about. We stayed in Room 2 which I would highly recommend, and while all of the rooms are very nice, I would also recommend Room 1 and Room 4. If you can spring for one of the suites, they look amazing.

There was nothing too large or too small to ask of the staff, and nothing felt as if it was too much trouble or as if you were bothering them. A few examples of the impeccable service – simply above and beyond:

1. We had a horrible dinner at a restaurant in Cape Town and called Ellerman House - they immediately picked us up. Upon our return they had a candle-lit table set up for us outside with menus, wine, etc. We wound up sitting outside on the terrace for hours and turned a disaster of an evening into an amazing time. We ate dinner every night at Ellerman House and were extremely happy about it.

2. One of my camera lenses broke while we were touring Table Mountain. I called Ellerman House and without asking, Austen offered to track down the lens at a store in Cape Town. He called me back 5 minutes later, told me that he would pick it up and have it waiting in my room by the time I returned a couple of hours later.

3. We wanted to watch a movie one evening with our friends who requested that we have popcorn in the room. The staff went out and purchased popcorn, made it, and brought it as well as dessert to our room. Further, Sam drove us to the movie rental store and back to return the DVD.

4. We had forgotten to arrange transportation to Franshhoek when we were leaving, and with little notice, management worked out a way for Sam to drive us to La Residence (which I would also highly recommend) for a relatively small fee.

If I were to visit South Africa again, the only reason I would return to Cape Town would be to stay at this lovely estate.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Ellerman House? Share your experiences!