“One of my new top 5 favorite hotels in the world” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Ellerman House

You added Ellerman House to your Saves list
Ellerman House
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   180 Kloof Road | Cape Town, Bantry Bay 8005, South Africa   |
Offers & Announcements
Journey Promotion
Ranked #4 of 7 Hotels in Bantry Bay
Los Angeles, California
“One of my new top 5 favorite hotels in the world”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2013

I had never heard of this hotel, until my travel agent, Patrick Ashworth (Ashworth Africa), recommended it to me for the first few nights of our stay in Cape Town. I was taken aback by the price at first, but realized once I arrived that every penny was well spent. From the moment you arrive, you feel like royalty.

They went out of their way to make certain that my husband had a bottle of GreyGoose in the room, since he was a vodka drinker. Our view was spectacular. The sunsets were some of my favorite that I have seen.

Privacy and service were paramount at this hotel. They made sure that we had everything that we needed throughout our stay. I cannot recommend this place enough.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
EllermanCapeTown, Public Relations Manager at Ellerman House, responded to this review, July 8, 2013
Thank you so much for your lovely review of our property. We are thrilled to be amongst your top 5 in the world. It was truly a pleasure to have you with us, and so happy to hear you enjoyed it. Our goal is to make every guest's experience truly exceptional. I will share your review with my team and we look forward to welcome you back to Ellerman House in the near future.
Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
Lusaka, Zambia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2013

My wife and I spent a week at Ellerman House this past April. Other reviewers have discussed the beautiful site, the artwork, the scrumptious menu, and the wonderful staff...and we found all of their superlatives to be, if anything, an understatement.

I want to highlight one of the smaller services that we so enjoyed during our stay -- the open pantry. Ellerman House keeps an open pantry of tasty and savory treats available at all times. If you want the midnight treat, you can tiptoe down and prepare a plate. It was delightful to be able to go into the open pantry and have some milk and cookies (or brownies, pralines, scones...it was all good) to enjoy by moonlight on the balcony. The open pantry was a small, illustrative example of what a stay is like at Ellerman House -- a thoughtful service, delicious food, extremely comfortable and relaxing.

As other reviewers have said, the site is beautiful, and the food exceedingly yummy. The thoughtful, personalized and attentive service is amazing. It was a lovely week, and we look forward to returning whenever we can.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
EllermanCapeTown, Public Relations Manager at Ellerman House, responded to this review, May 6, 2013
Thank you so much for your valuable review - we really appreciate it. The guest pantry is certainly a magical little corner of the hotel. We call it the "sugar shack" amongst the staff. Guests love it and we encourage midnight visits. So glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us.
We hope to welcome you back to Ellerman House soon.
Victoria Falls, Zimbabwe
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013 via mobile

The views are astonishing. The service unparalleled. The cuisine world-class. The accommodations in perfect taste. The professionalism of the staff only surpassed by their warmth. It's easily Cape Town's best hotel.

Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
EllermanCapeTown, Manager at Ellerman House, responded to this review, April 9, 2013
We really appreciate your wonderful review of our property - thank you very much. I am so happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and we look forward to welcome you back to Ellerman House in the near future.
Alexa Huxter
Ellerman House
Johannesburg, South Africa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2013 via mobile

Stunning views, excellent food, friendly service and a luxurious room were the ingredients of our stay at Ellerman House. The gallery provides an insight into SA art and there is a gym for those who wish to work off the wonderful meals - we opted for Chardonnay and an evening stroll vs the treadmill! Perhaps Cape Towns number 1 address ...

Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
EllermanCapeTown, Manager at Ellerman House, responded to this review, March 26, 2013
Thank you so much for your review. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and we look forward to welcome you back to Ellerman House in the near future.
Vanessa van der Meer-Coetzee
Duty Manager
Linlithgow, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013

What can I say that hasn't been said before? Ellerman House is simply the best hotel that I have ever stayed at. The staff are so friendly and attentive and if there is anything that you need, don't worry because they will have already thought about it!
We were cycling the Cape Argus, without being asked they had set up a pasta meal for us the evening before, and then an early morning wake up call and fresh flapjacks and bananas on the day itself.
The food in the restaurant is excellent and extremely reasonably priced, as is all of the wine - compared to UK prices, the value is unbelievable. We had the same waitress every night, Crystal, who was fantastic - after the first night she knew we were vegetarian and that I was left handed - I never had to change my cutlery around again. She also discussed options if there wasn't a suitable menu choice. The sommelier, Manuel, had a fantastic knowledge of wines and of the local South African wines and may have converted me from Pedro Ximenez to White Port...delicious.
The gardens, the art, the view, the Spa ( a facial from Yvette is a must)......I could enthuse for hours.
Simple put, Ellerman House is the hotel experience that you dream of, but seldom find. Thank you to all of you.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
EllermanCapeTown, Manager at Ellerman House, responded to this review, March 14, 2013
I cannot begin to tell you how happy it made me to read about your experience at our hotel. The team here strives to make each guest experience as close to perfect as humanly possible. When we accomplish that goal we’ve done our job.
I am so honored that you chose Ellerman House while you were in Cape Town for the Argus and and we’re extremely grateful that you took the time to share this feedback.
I really appreciate it and know the team will as well when I share it with them. We look forward to welcoming you back again the next time you are in town.
Marketing Manager
Palma de Mallorca, Spain
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013

This is now our favourite hotel in the world, and we are demanding. Service , food, views all amzing . All hoteliers should stay here and learn. We were lucky enough to be upgarded for one night to the villa, and it too was superb. Couldn't find a fault.

Room Tip: only 6 has no view
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
EllermanCapeTown, Manager at Ellerman House, responded to this review, March 11, 2013
Thank you so much for your lovely review. We really appreciate it, and so happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us.
I will make sure to share this with my team and we look forward to welcome you back in the near future.
Tiaan Lategan
Manager
schweiz
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2013

frankly, i like the concept of this moreprivate villa.
my only issue is . It feels a bid dusty and old fashioned. if that is the concept- se be it. but is that worth the price?
the view is great and we had whales passing by in the distance. its romantic. bt it made me feel old.
location: well, yes you have a great view but you are relativly away from wher you want to be. Meaning: you cant walk, you always need a car or a taxi.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for your review. We really appreciate it.
We hope you enjoyed your visit to our beautiful city of Cape Town, and that you will be back in the future.
Regards,
Marketing Manger

Been to Ellerman House? Share your experiences!