“Stay at Craigrownie” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Craigrownie Guest House

and 1 more site!
You added Craigrownie Guest House to your Saves list
Craigrownie Guest House
4.0 of 5 Guest house   |   10 Craigrownie Road, Bantry Bay 8001, South Africa   |
Ranked #5 of 7 Bantry Bay B&B and Inns
Royal Tunbridge Wells, United Kingdom
“Stay at Craigrownie”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2013

The guest house is wonderful, having stayed there now on three occasions. Excellent value for money and wonderful attention by Manie Smith who cant do enough for his guests. Superb location in Bantry Bay, with secure parking and proximity to the seafront.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

ManieSmith, Manager at Craigrownie Guest House, responded to this review, October 30, 2013
Thank you so much for staying at CGH and for taking the time to share your experience with the rest of the world :-) I'm very happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay at CGH and we hope to have you back in the near future.

Manie and staff :-)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Pretoria
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2013

This is an ideal location if you are travelling on business in the area. The guest house offers free WIFI and my room had a great view and the room was spacious. The staff are very helpful and the guesthouse provides value for money if you are on a tight budget - highly recommended.
The only snag is that parking is limited - my advice is don't have a rental but use the local taxis and walk or public transport. The guest house is within walking distance of the beach and within 1 km of shopping areas and restaurants.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
ManieSmith, Manager at Craigrownie Guest House, responded to this review, July 17, 2013
Dear Thiru S

Thank you so much for choosing to stay at CGH :-) I'm very happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. You're always welcome to return ;-)

London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

Firstly, I must say how surprised I am by the reviews of preceding visitors to this guest house, as I will further elaborate on my own experience during a recent 2 day stay.

My partner and I stayed in a small double room. It had not been cleaned properly and there was a used plaster on the bedroom floor and another used plaster on the bathroom floor. Aside from this, the decor was generally quite tired and a little shabby. The swimming pool looked dirty.

The attendant of the guest house did his best to meet us on arrival, though there was an almost complete lack of representation or contact with any of the owners or managers of the property on arrival or at any point. I understand there is a fine balance between a guest house owner being too hands-on (we experienced just this in the previous guest house we stayed at) or in being too hands-off. I would normally prefer the latter, but the experience of this place was almost of suffering total neglect!

For example, the parking arrangements are almost unworkable or certainly impractical in the extreme. There is no on-street parking and guests are forced to block each other in by parking in the driveway. We wished to use our car one evening and, rather than anyone running the guest house being available to contact the guest blocking us in, we had to go knocking on all the doors of the guest house (disturbing people and waking them up) to find the car owner and to request them to move it. This was very embarrassing and, as you can imagine, not very popular with other guests.

On our first morning, we found a table for breakfast. An old lady, who I took to be one of the owners or managers, spoke readily with another table of guests, but completely ignored us! She wandered off and did not bother to speak to us. We had breakfast without any welcome.

The breakfast room is quite ordinary and the cooked breakfasts were poorly done.

On checking out, my partner simply handed over the balance due for payment and with a minimum of further conversation with the person who appeared to be in charge on that day. No enquiry was made as to the experience of the visit to the guest house. I actually managed to spend 2 days at the guest house, without any contact with any of the managers or owners. Given my experience of other guest houses in Cape Town and South Africa generally, this is indeed exceptionally surprising.

The location is satisfactory, as it does have good views of Lion's Head and is a good base for exploring either Cape Town central or the destinations along the Cape peninsular.

Generally, my experience of staying at Craigrownie Guest House was extremely disappointing. I have never stayed at a place where a person in charge cannot be approached for advice or to assist with enquiries (there just was not anyone there to do this). It is easily the most unwelcoming place time that I have stayed at in South Africa and I hope my review helps guide other intended visitors in their choice.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
ManieSmith, General Manager at Craigrownie Guest House, responded to this review, April 11, 2013
Dear Sir / Madam

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment on your stay at CGH.

- I however noticed that you left 3 reviews on TripAdvisor and all 3 reviews were "terrible" and I was so hoping that your stay at CGH would leave you with good memories.
- I noticed in your review of CGH that you said that the owner or the manager was not available or reachable during your two day stay at CGH. I (Manie - Manager) was off when you arrived on Monday night after 8:00pm but I was on duty the Tuesday and the Wednesday. I however remember speaking to you on the phone when you contacted me on the Monday evening to say that you'll be arriving 3 and half hours after our normal check-in time. I made special arrangements to have a staff member on duty to welcome you to the guest house and to make sure that everything is in order.
- I also remember greeting you and your partner while you were having breakfast on the 2-4-2013 Tuesday morning and I kept the conversation short and sweet as I didn't want to keep you from enjoying your breakfast.
- I also remember asking you on the Tuesday morning if you would like for me to close the door leading to the pool area as I was concerned that you might be getting cold as it was a rather cold morning in Cape Town - you responded by saying that it's okay for me to leave the door open as you didn't get cold.
- The "old lady" that you mentioned in your review was also a guest of CGH and she's a very friendly lady and I'm sure that if you spoke to her like the rest of the guests then she would've had a friendly conversation with you too.
- Your review left me a bit confused as I remember speaking to your partner on the day that you checked out (Wednesday morning) and you were unfortunately waiting in the car at the time of our conversation and your partner told me that everything was fine and that he enjoyed his stay at CGH and I also remember thanking him for choosing to stay at CGH.
- On-site parking has always been facilitated and coordinated in a good natured fashion between management and guest and your stated parking experience is regreted but not with the subject of complains from any other guests.

Best wishes to both of you :-)

Kind regards
Manie Smith (General Manager).
Warfield, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2013

Craigrownie is a really lovely guesthouse with lovely large rooms decorated in a very cosy style. It is perfectly located just steps from the sea front and plenty of restaurants and supermarkets within walking distance. It has a lovely little pool area with sun loungers and secure parking. The breakfast on offer was delightful with plenty of hot and cold options and meal order forms placed on all tables for you to fill out your breakfast request.
Mani and his staff really go the extra mile to ensure you stay is as comfortable and easy as possible. Mani was more than happy to answer our many questions and book and organise anything we needed. No request was too large and when we problems with our return flight home he was more than accommodating and went above and beyond what we could have expected just to make our lives easier. Craigrownie really met and exceeded all our exceptions and I would highly recommend this guesthouse and would not think twice about returning.
Thankyou so much to Mani and his staff for your hospitality and for making our stay so special and memorable!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Hi Jennifer

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment on your stay at CGH. I'm very pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and I'll make sure to thank the rest of the staff on your behalf.

We would be more than happy to welcome you back to CGH :-)

All the best to both of you...

Manie
durban
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

What an enjoyable stay... at this very well-run guest house. The staff are all very friendly, helpful and efficient.. the rooms are comfortable and clean.. the breakfast and pool area is charming.. and the location is superb! Private terraces with sea views and the noise of the surf at night are an added bonus! There is easy access to the seafront walkway for that morning stroll... as well as being off the beaten track so as not to be too noisy and busy! Quite a find... i would love to return! Well done to Manie and the staff.. thank you.. and keep up the good work!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
ManieSmith, Manager at Craigrownie Guest House, responded to this review, February 27, 2013
Dear Wendy

Thank you so much for taking the time to say "Thank you". I'm so happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. You're most welcome to return to CGH whenever you're in need of a well deserved break. :-)

Cape Town
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013

I arranged a booking at Craigrownie for my family who were travelling from out of town for my wedding. Manie (the manager) went above and beyond the call of duty to make sure everything went smoothly and perfectly. No request was too small or too large for his attention, and I would recommend Craigrownie to anyone looking to spend time in the Cape Town area. In addition to the amazing service, my guests raved about the rooms and the delicious breakfasts. My heartfelt thanks to all those at Craigrownie for not only making the booking process stress-free, but for also ensuring that my guests had the trip of a lifetime!!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Hi Nancy

Congratulations on your wedding and I wish you both lots of happy years together :-) Thank you for your much appreciated feedback. I'm very pleased to hear that your family enjoyed their stay with us and don't worry as we enjoyed having them at CGH. Planning a wedding can be stressful and I think that you did very well. Just a thought "Your one year wedding anniversary at CGH" :-)

Warm regards to you and your family...
Manie and the CGH team
Lymington, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2013 via mobile

Craigrownie is a charming and delightful guest huse very near the sea. It has a lovely pool, the breakfasts were lovely and the staff very obliging. We had a lovely room with a private terrace with sea view and at night we could hear the surf. My son had a very nice room with a terrace overlooking the pool and the sea. Parking is secure and although limited this did not cause a problem and all the guests got parked. We had five good nights there at the end of Dec / Jan 2013. Most happy and would certainly return one day. Thank you Manie and Thomas.

Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
ManieSmith, Manager at Craigrownie Guest House, responded to this review, August 14, 2013
Thank you so much for taking the time to spread the great news :-) I'm very happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay at CGH. We'll be more than happy to welcome you back to CGH...

Manie and staff

Been to Craigrownie Guest House? Share your experiences!