“PEACEFUL EXCELLENCE” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 7 Hotels in Bantry Bay
Hamburg
“PEACEFUL EXCELLENCE”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2012

After a long safari in the North of SA, I was looking for a quiet and relaxing place without any noisy children and certainly no loud cheese burger tourists. What happiness to have found this place facing the sea with a dream pool. In this location, all guests enjoy a sumptuous framework, serene and calm environment. The staff is incredibly efficient and discreet. During my 2 week stay I felt completely at home, relaxed and comfortable in this luxurious gem of a villa, located in the most exclusive neighborhood of Cape Town. Congratulations to the Swiss owner of this wonderful hotel, I have been enchanted and WILL be back!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Franschhoek, South Africa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2012

We had a lovely stay at the end of February in this beautiful Boutique guesthouse. Rooms and lounge area beautiful furnished, Pool is perfect, honesty bar is great and the breakfast extensive. It's a lovely place and we will definitely return. Thank to Oliver and Rudolph for taking care of us ! Jarno & Aukje, Franschhoek

Los Angeles
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2012

The bed and breakfast is located in a beautiful villa, but no matter how beautiful it may be, the experience is reduced to an unpleasant one when you feel you are 'squatting' in someone's home. If felt as though the house manager, Ruldolf, was never more than a few feet away from where ever we were in the villa, which cast a long shadow. My husband and I would not have minded if he were at least useful, friendly and/or informative. Unfortunately, he was rude, pompous and clueless. He was sharing with us, in an unsolicited fashion, the incompetence of the cleaning staff. When I asked him how to get on the internet (which was not functioning properly), instead of answering me, he instructed me to return to my room, and find the manual located there. When I asked him about getting to the wine district, he tried aggressively to hoist an overpriced wine tour on me. When I refused, he then sent me to the car rental which Compass House had a 'relationship' with, instead of having them bring the car to the Villa (for reasons unclear). Unfortunately, the location of the car rental was in a particularly rough neighborhood and when I arrived there, they had no cars available for several days. My expectation would have been that the house manager would have had some inkling of this possibility before sending us out to such neighborhood. As my husband and I were on honeymoon here, my husband very politely asked if we could get a room that was less narrow. He were tersely refused. When I asked separately, the conversation with the owner and Rudolf went like this: me- "My husband may have mentioned that...' and before I could finish my sentence, the owner responded by cutting me by saying "Yes. He did. No, you cannot." When we were leaving, the house manager said "Oh, I didn't realize that it was your honeymoon. We would have moved you, then." This is after we mentioned to both the owner and Rudolf several times it was our honeymoon, and we arrived from Los Angeles after 30+ hours of flying. My final example of the lack of any customer service at this establishment is, when trying to book a massage through Rudolf, I was refused, because the only available time that the massage therapist had was taken by the owner of Compass House. Moreover, I was chastised for referring to the masseuse as a masseuse, Rudolf made it clear that she was a "reflexologist."

I could go on and on, but I assume the aforementioned is representative enough of the problems I am describing with this otherwise beautiful location. It is unfortunate that we could not have a better experience here, and I hope that the management takes note of how the experience is perceived from a customer's perspective.

I would not stay at the Compass House again.

PS. The owner of Compass House was complaining to me about guests not mentioning their dissatisfaction to him at the time of their stay, and later going on to Tripadvisor and venting, however, we did discuss our dissatisfactions with him and his house manager. They did nothing about it.

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2012

My wife and I have not long returned from our first visit to the Cape and look back on Compass House as one of the best places we stayed. We spent the first three nights of our holiday there and we couldn't have picked a better place to start with. We received a warm welcome from Rudolph the Manager who had arranged for us to be picked up from the airport. Over a complimentary glass of bubbly he gave us valuable advice about the local area, restaurants, sightseeing etc. Our room was delightful. We were able to sit undisturbed outside it, close to the lovely pool, enjoying beautiful views across the ocean as the sun set. As we ate the excellent continental breakfast we enjoyed those same views, tucking into a wide choice of fresh fruit, breads, fish, meat, cheese etc. This is a small independent hotel, which combines a relaxing atmosphere, with quality, style and good service at a reasonable price. We'd certainly go back there, if the opportunity arose.

UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2012

High quality, very comfortable, intimate and quiet. Just wish we'd spent more time enjoying the ambience. Next time ....

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2012 via mobile

Compass House has an amazing location and great view from a lovely pool area.
The room we stayed in for 3 days was comfortable and well equipped although the supposed state of the art entertainment system didn't work.
Nice continental style breakfast served each morning and good tips from staff about where to eat in Bantry Bay. Quite a long walk into Bantry Bay, with quite a steep hill climb on the way back.
Very poor broadband speed if you need it...we gave up in the end and staff members who just seemed to complain about how early he had to get up to greet or say goodbye to guests who had early or late transfers...not what you want to hear when paying this much money per night.
Overall, a nice, intimate hotel but it is far too expensive for what it offers. I'm sure you could get a better standard for much less money.

Stayed February 2012
Lausanne
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2012

I've been here for 7 days, and let's just say it was the most refreshing and relaxing experience ever. You just simply feel at home. Rooms are much better of a 5 star hotels, with great beds and everything you need (adapdators, AC, Music, well furnished bathrooms etc...).

Breakfast everymorning is more than enough with great breads, more jams that I've ever seen ... fresh fruits etc ...

Wifi throughout ...

The pool is the highlight too, infinity overlooking the ocean ... great place for a glass during the sunset !

Bikes are available, parking space ... location is Bantry bay which is the only place away from the wind, beaches are 20 mins walk away only ... great restaurants.

Owner and staff very helpful and discreet too

Honestly, forget big hotels chains, go to this guest house in South Africa, it will make your trip worth it !

Oh, and big plus (for me) no kids allowed --- ensures you a relaxing holiday.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled solo

Been to Compass House? Share your experiences!