“Elephants Galore” 4 of 5 stars

4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Pilanesberg National Park 0316, South Africa   |
Cape Town Central, South Africa
“Elephants Galore”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013

It has been a while since we went to Kwa Maritane. What an amazing time we had. Herds of elephants and several other wild animals come to the hide to drink water. The game drive through Pilansberg Nature Reserve was fantastic. As a timeshare owner we were spoilt with luxury accommodation in the Executive suites and we can see game from our chalet. Bert (our bull elephant was just outside our chalet for the entire afternoon that we arrived). The Boma Braai was great and added to our experience of a bush holiday. The restaurant has great buffet but food from the al la carte menu was always extremely salty and even after complaining about the salt they were still heavy handed with this. Reception staff could improve on friendliness.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (74)
Johannesburg , South Africa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013

We stayed for two nights at Kwa Maritane and had a very good time. The rooms were spacious , clean and well mainytained. Being winter it was very dry outside and the gardens were struggling a bit. The restaurant was good - the buffet dishes are all tasty and fresh. Game Drives were good but the guides were lacking on knowledge and communication skill.
Other than that I will recommend a stay in this Lodge - close to Johannesburg but feels much further away.

Room Tip: Some of the rooms are far away form the main area. Noisy at night when other guests return to their...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Sterling, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2013

My 10 year old daughter and I stayed for two nights at the end of July 2013. Check in was easy although they give you a lot of information all at once so it is difficult to remember. No worries as all the information is in your room. The rooms are spacious, well appointed and clean. The bathrooms are what you would find in a US 4-5 star hotel. My only suggestion would be to update the chain locks on the room doors with the newer ball and hasp locks that are more common in hotels these days. Mind you I felt completely safe and secure at all times but a little thing like that can go a long ways to make guests feel more at ease. Our room was in the building furthest from the reception area but I didn’t mind the walk. Every staff member was courteous and professional. I really want to stress this point as most hotel staff members in the US rarely even acknowledge guests. Every staff member I walked with 6 feet of, would stop what they were doing, turn and look at me and address me with a “Good day, Hello, etc.”

Since it was winter the lodge was mostly empty. The main pool and restaurant were closed for renovations. Meals were served in the soulless conference center. The food was good with enough selection for anyone. The bar with its dim lighting, warm fire and excellent bar tenders was a great way to relax after dinner, after a game drive, before breakfast, etc. We enjoyed sitting in the hide viewing animals at the watering hole and liked that you could view the activity at the watering hole from any TV in the lodge.

Game drives were excellent with knowledgeable guides. The animals could have been more accommodating but not much you can do about that.

I really enjoyed my stay and would not hesitate to recommend Kwa Maritane to anyone.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Cape Town Central, South Africa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2013

I want to commend the management and staff at this beautiful Bush Lodge. They went out of their way to accommodate my special request (halaal food). Staff were friendly and helpful and immediately approached me to explain the arrangements they had made. Food was excellent!!

I didn't quite like the lay out of the self catering unit I stayed in Bedroom upstairs, downstairs(full) kitchen and bathroom in between. However, I imagine that the upstairs balcony might provide a good viewing area for game etc. and would be perfect for a family visit.

I think it would help if a detailed map was provided to guests so we can more easily find our way around this beautiful property. A plus was they didn't charge for printing.

Sadly I had very little time as I arrived late and left in the morning, and only wish I could have gone on a game drive as well.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Johannesburg, South Africa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2013

My GIrlfriend and I stayed at Kwa Maritane for 2 nights recently as part of a joint birthday trip. The Lodge looked good, it was classy and well maintained. Our room was very nice and the turn down service with chocs on pillows was a nice touch.

The lodge hide was exellent with an underground tunnel connecting it to the lodge - Elephant, Rhino and a host of other game were often seen there and you could keep an eye on what was there via channel 15 on the TVs in each room and the bar area! Buffet was dinner was fine, but buffet breakfast was awesome - especially the freshly made omlettes and pancakes!

Went on a game drive with Ralph who was the most enthusiastic, knowledgable and friendly game rangers I have ever met (and I have been on game drives in several parks so have lots to compare him against) - He saw his favourite animal early into our drive and was dancing around in the vehicle cab with excitement, which was infectious for all the people on the drive. He told us he hadnt seen one of those in 5 months and then 15mins later we saw another! Answered all questions, was funny, informative and patient wiith all the guests. If you can, book him for your drive!

If you are going to Sun City at all but not staying there the this is a good choice as its only a 10min drive east to the main gates, Bakubung is a similar distance to the west of Sun City, but Kwa Maritane is nicer in our opinion.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Noida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2013

We Stayed in this resort in April end for 3 nights only .
We found room size was Amazing .
All the rooms were with the very close view of NATURE .
You can see few animals even from your room .
Service was marvelous , and Food was amazing according to everyone's choice.
Staff was very friendly , they even danced with us .

Room Tip: Ask for the room with two level inside , our bed was on one level and just two steps down was sittin...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2013 via mobile

i have been going to Kwa Maritane with my in laws for the past 6 years. With no complaints except for this weekend. I saw a lioness drinking at the water hole at the hide, it was 11 am, I ran to the hide, where we I usually walk gently down the passage as quietly as possible only to be outrun by a security guard in heavy boots and a flash light, he made such a noise he scared the animal away! Surely the management of Kwa Maritane tell their staff to be quiet around the animals?
We also happened to see Lions on the main road outside the resort. A delivery van chased the Lions away and scared them while they sped to do deliveries! Can all this be avoided?

Stayed July 2013
Gavin H, General Manager at Kwa Maritane Bush Lodge, responded to this review, August 2, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write about your experience at Kwa. Whilst most of our guests review the rooms, facilities and service, we welcome any comments which may help us to improve the overall guest experience here.

The underground tunnel which leads to the Hide overlooking the waterhole is quite a unique feature and guests (and staff) really enjoy being able to watch wild animals, such as lion, rhino and elephant from really close up. The animals that frequent the waterhole usually only stay for a few minutes, and are sometimes frightened away by loud and sudden noises from inside the Hide. Despite all the warning signs, some people cannot contain their excitement and make a dash down the tunnel, to the detriment of the enjoyment of others.

Our staff are as passionate about wildlife as most of our guests, but they are also aware that a) the guest comes first, and b) animals at the waterhole react negatively to the sound of running feet. Unfortunately, I cannot determine the identity of the offending guard, as I do not know when this happened. It is possible that security had picked up a problem via the CCTV camera inside the hide (such as a child misbehaving) and they were on the way to sort out the problem. Although the security personnel monitor the activity inside the hide, they do not have access to the TV picture of the waterhole that is broadcast to all the hotel rooms. Also, I am not quite sure why a security guard would have a torch at 11am!

It is wonderful that our guests regularly see lion and other wild animals on our access road, but I agree that it is a pity that that some drivers have no consideration for others. Vehicles have to travel our access road through the Park, where the speed limit is 40km/h but I can assure you that it is not always delivery vehicles that are the culprits! We are not in a position to police their speed, as this falls part of the Pilanesberg National Park and should be monitored by the Parks Board, however should this happen in the future, please make a note of the registration number of the vehicle and we will report the incident.

I realise that special sightings can be ruined by the inconsiderate behaviour of others, but I trust that despite this, you still enjoyed your stay at Kwa, and that we will be welcoming you and your family back for many years to come.

Please feel free to pop in and see me when you are next here.

Been to Kwa Maritane Bush Lodge? Share your experiences!