“No complaints whatsoever.” 5 of 5 stars

Black Rhino Reserve, Pilanesberg National Park, South Africa   |
Singapore, Singapore
“No complaints whatsoever.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2012

A previous reviewer stated it right, this lodge is not luxury but it is definitely clean and comfortable. It has a cosy set up with five sleeping units and one communal area. Staff strength is small but very friendly and immensely helpful. Food was good and drinks relatively inexpensive (R11 for a coke if I remember correctly). Game drives were standard and the game walk was amazing. Although the walk came at an additional cost, it was most certainly worth it. Jeandre, the guide, was knowledgeable and educated us about the flora and fauna of the area.

I do, however, have to highlight one major problem. If you are driving from Sun City, you would have to use R565 to reach the Black Rhino Reserve. For a 5 - 6 kilometer stretch before the reserve, the road is riddled with potholes. I was in a low hatch back and I had to drive at speeds between 10 - 20 km/h and was perpetually weaving left and right to avoid the ruts. If you are headed to the Black Rhino Reserve, I would strongly recommend a rugged SUV because that was probably the most painful drive of my life.

No complaints about the lodge though! :)

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Reading, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2012

This is a pretty new lodge in the Black Rhino Reserve area of Pilanesberg, and my visit was very last minute and facilitated through the very capable Felleng Tours.
While I would not classify this lodge as a *luxurious* stay, it was very comfortable -and in addition to the pretty standard game drives offered by all of the lodges in Pilanesberg, also offered a Game *Hike*, which for me was a huge thrill! I have never experienced anything to parallel the excitement of being on foot in the middle of a game reserve, having already seen a lioness in the immediate area! Other sightings from on foot included zebras and white rhinos -quite up close, as well as giraffes and impalas -culminating in a second thrilling sighting of the aforementioned lioness! My guide, Jandre, was fantastic and this hike was truly the high point of my whole trip.
The food at the lodge was quite good, and I'd say my only area for improvement is in the service -specifically due to the fact that they maintain what seems to be the bare minimum of staff size. There appeared to be just one "shift", which included the guides, manager and one other staff member -all of whom started before 5am, and at least two stayed on duty until the last guests (usually myself) went to bed. This is a lot to ask of anyone, so tended to make me feel compelled to head to bed earlier than I would typically do so. Also drinks were not included, which I was a bit disappointed about -but at check out I was very pleasantly surprised by how inexpensive they were (I was braced for typical hotel drink prices...).
If you're looking for real luxury, then I'd suggest going with one of the larger lodges in the park. However if your focus is on comfort and personality, and an unforgettable safari experience, then this is a great choice!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled solo

Been to Pilanesberg Private Lodge? Share your experiences!