“If I had a choice, would not use” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Protea Hotel Klerksdorp

You added Protea Hotel Klerksdorp to your Saves list
Protea Hotel Klerksdorp
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Between Barend & Margaretha Prinsloo Street,, Klerksdorp 2572, South Africa   |
Hotel deals
Hotel packages
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Klerksdorp
Johannesburg, South Africa
“If I had a choice, would not use”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013

I am not a fan of bed and breakfast, but this hotel makes me want to use these b&b. Not worth 3 star grading. The outside looks nice and inviting, as does the foyer, but as soon as you get into the rooms, things start looking decidedly bad. Flat screen TV is the only plus. Bathroom light was not working (Room 223), and because of the location of the shower, it made for a shower in the dark. The noise on the passages were unbearable. Each time someone in the hotel turned on their taps, you were made aware of it. The hotel look old, tired. I hope there are better rooms than this one. The restaurant provided good and quick service. Even the pizza mix-up was handled deftly without much fuss. However, the venue is as tired as the hotel and the fact that it is not part of the hotel means I missed out on a 50% discount on the meal. A revamp is seriously needed for this hotel, soon.

Room Tip: Avoid room 223, if you can.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Bertus_Kotzee, General Manager at Protea Hotel Klerksdorp, responded to this review, May 21, 2013
Dear N Sabelo

Thank you for the feedback of your STAY at Protea Hotel Klerksdorp.

We would like to take the opportunity to apologise for all inconveniences that you had experienced upon STAY here.

Your constructive criticism is absolutely necessary for us to know how our GUESTS experience our service and facilities. We value your feedback as an extremely important tool in our day to day operations , as this helps us to improve before your next STAY.

Your interest and concern are truly valuable to us. Hope to see you in the near future.

Marketing Manager

Couples
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2013

Stayed at Protea Hotel Klerksdorp on the 11th of April 2013, on arrival I was greeted with a smile after a hard day of driving. Had a 3 course meal at the Restaurant the evening which was absolutely lovely and enjoyable and also a hearty breakfast the following morning. I want to thank the staff of Protea Hotel Klerksdorp for an excellent service provided especially Marketing Manager Emran Sayed.

Gideon Koegelenberg

Room Tip: The newly revamped rooms are stunning
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Dear Gideon Koegelenberg

Thank you for your words of appreciation. We are delighted to know that we exceeded your expectations and we will certainly congratulate the STAFF you commended for their exemplary service!

Looking forward to seeing you soon again!

4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013

My first time in Klerksdorp and I'm looking forward to coming back again. Upon check in at the Protea hotel, I was greeted by the marketing manager in the parking lot. From the car guard, to the porter, to the receptionist and the restaurant staff, the quality of service was of an impressive standard. Although I was checked into one of the older rooms, the manager insisted my room be upgraded to their recently renovated rooms. I work for an organistation that puts much emphasis on Service, and this is what Customer Engagement is all about. The hotel management should really consider upgarading the facilities on the enitre property, because at this stage, only the recently renovated rooms compliment the high quality of staff that they have.

Room Tip: Ask for one of the recently renovated rooms, preferably with a balcony.
Dear M. Pontsho

Thank you for your complements on the impressive GUEST service you received during your STAY at Protea Hotel Klerksdorp.  Please be assured that I will congratulate our TEAM for doing a great job.

It was our pleasure to accommodate you, and your interest and loyalty are important to us.

We are looking forward to welcome you to Protea Hotel Klerksdorp again!

Marketing Manager
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2013

This was not a nice place to stay. While the personnel was friendly and helpful, the facility is not up to the level of what one will consider 3 stars. The bathrooms facilities rather makes you think of a hostel (with limited privacy, especially when you stay with someone else in the room) and in fact the whole facility makes you think of a hostel rather than hotel. The restaurant has no atmosphere and gives one a sense of things being worn down. Food was very average to below average. I struggle to find good reason for a 2 star facility. Personally I will not stay at this place again even if they pay me. I will much rather find a guesthouse.

Room Tip: Rather find a good guesthouse
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Bertus_Kotzee, General Manager at Protea Hotel Klerksdorp, responded to this review, April 12, 2013
Dear Pieter

Please accept my sincere apologies for the discomfort and inconvenience that you experienced during your stay. Your feedback is highly valued and will be used constructively to maintain and improve, where necessary, our standards of service and facilities.

We are currently upgrading our bathrooms to give our GUESTS that warm feeling when they enter our rooms. The restaurant will also be renovated to create that atmosphere that will keep our GUESTS there for hours. We believe that our TEAM creates the atmosphere here at Protea Hotel Klerksdorp and the TEAM in the restaurant is extremely sad that they let you down.

Thank you for taking the time to give us your constructive criticism, as it is absolutely necessary for us to know how our GUESTS experience our service. All GUESTS are very important to us and everything possible is done by our TEAM to ensure that our GUESTS feel as special and valued as they are.

Yours sincerely

Johannesburg
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2013

I was quite shocked when I read the previous reviews of this hotel. Things have definately changed for the better, thank goodness!! We found the venue very easily with the (updated) GPS. Reception at the hotel was warm, friendly and efficient. The gate guard, who noticed that the regular porter was busy with someone else's luggage, ran over to us and offered to carry our luggage to our rooms.
The room and bathroom, clean and tidy, the beds comfortable, TV and Aircon working, no funny insecticide smells, no dust, no mosquitoes. When I asked for a two-point plug for my charger, one was delivered to my room immediately.

The staff is extremely friendly and helpful.
We used the conference centre for training. Carol and especially Brenda went out of their way to make us comfortable and the room was always set up to our requirements. Brenda was at our beck and call. She came in much earlier than her normal working hours to ensure we had enough time to set up our venue. The food for the delegates during tea and lunch was always scrumptious, more than enough and on time every time.

I am so relieved that I did not read the reviews before our company booked us in here. One can really see that the staff here all work towards one common goal and that is to change all the negative things. Well done to you all. Thank you for making our stay a very pleasant one. Keep up the good work, it is not in vain.

Room Tip: Hallways on the first floor less noisy that those on the groundfloor near the pool (on the way to th...
Graz, Österreich
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2012

Protea is a South African hotel chain and we thought it might be pretty good, but we failed.... We booked the Protea Klerksdorp for one night, it was very difficult to find to - with GPS! We arrivaed late and had problems at check in. They couldn´t find our reservation we did through a big booking portal. Never happend before to me!
After 20 minutes they gave us another rate for the night - price nearly the same... We went into the room and after 10 minutes we saw the room was used, hairs all over, no towels, the blanket in one bed removed. Horrible!!!
We asked for a change and got another room. The room was fnie but the heating didn´t work. But... who cares after a long ride and lots of trouble... We wouldn´t stay there again!!! No chance! Anyway - the stuff was really friendly, even if it wasn´t this false!!!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
Bertus_Kotzee, General Manager at Protea Hotel Klerksdorp, responded to this review, January 14, 2013
Dear David

On behalf of the management and STAFF at Protea Hotel Klerksdorp, I would like to apologise most sincerely for your unacceptable service experience.

I appreciate your bringing the unfortunate and regrettable incident you encountered to my attention. Please accept my sincere apologies for all the discomfort and inconvenience. I confirm that this matter has been investigated and that our TEAM has taken the appropriate action to rectify the shortcomings in our service and facilities. It is unacceptable for a GUEST to walk into a used room. Thank you for taking the time to give us your constructive criticism, as it is absolutely necessary for us to know how our GUESTS experience our service

I would like to tell you that we care about your experience at Protea Hotel Klerksdorp, after a long ride, and I hope to have the privilege to personally confirm to you that we care, in the near future.

Boulder, Colorado
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2012

Bottom line is that if you have any options on where to stay, absolutely any options at all, don’t stay at the Protea Hotel in Klerksdorp. The saving grace is that I only had to stay in this hotel for one night. This hotel ranks in my top five worst hotels ever. I arrived in the evening and while check-in wasn’t particularly problematic it was very slow. My visit began by having to carrying my bags up a flight of stairs and walking through a dark labyrinth-like hall to find a small, shabby and absolutely filthy room. It was getting late and it was only for one night so I decided to tough it out. Beyond being rundown and filthy, the room smelled strongly of what I finally concluded was insecticide. The glass by the sink was greasy and had fingerprints on it. The light in the bathroom didn’t work so there is no telling how long it had been since the bathroom had been cleaned. The wifi didn’t work and neither did the room phone. The room phone being inoperative, while not a big issue, is a safety concern as is the poorly lit hallway. The air conditioning(?) was noisy, ineffective and didn’t have any apparent controls. Breakfast in the morning was of poor quality. The restaurant staff while friendly enough were exceedingly slow. On checkout, the clerk sheepishly admitted that the wifi and phones didn’t work on my floor, however, no mention of this was made during check-in.
My reservation was made by my travel coordinator who waited too late and couldn.t book the recommended hotel. Needless to say, I will not being staying at this hotel again and would not recommend it to anyone.

Room Tip: To my knowledge there are no good rooms at this hotel.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
HeatherPoulsen, General Manager at Protea Hotel Klerksdorp, responded to this review, October 10, 2012
Dear Paul H

We are extremely saddened by your feedback and I wish to confirm that I have personally followed up on your comments and rectified the shortcomings in our service that you have brought to our attention. As you are aware, Protea Hotels prides itself in delivering the best GUEST service and strives to get the basics right consistently, and your overall experience is therefore very concerning to us. If you are still in the country, please contact the hotel and ask to speak to me as I would like to personally apologise and further discuss your feedback.

Kind Regards,

Bertus Kotzee

Been to Protea Hotel Klerksdorp? Share your experiences!