“Where is the water” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Protea Hotel Kimberley

You added Protea Hotel Kimberley to your Saves list
Protea Hotel Kimberley
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   The Kimberley Big Hole, West Circular Road, Kimberley 8301, South Africa   |
Ranked #3 of 11 Hotels in Kimberley
“Where is the water”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2013 via mobile

Promising hotel, old school charm, breakfast is pretty good, promised water at turn down,but did not even witness a turn down service! Shower taps in room 316 need to be fixed! A pleasant stay non the less, quaint, clean hotel! Will be back soon, maybe I witness some good changes

Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
ProteaHotels, General Manager at Protea Hotel Kimberley, responded to this review, October 1, 2013
Dear Anesh M

Thank you for posting a review on TripAdvisor and taking the time to provide us with feedback.

The breakfast TEAM works hard to provide a wide selection of fresh produce and wholesome meals for our GUESTS. I will congratulate the TEAM on their ongoing efforts to achieve excellence.

Please accept my apologies for your turn down service not being done. This is unacceptable and I can assure you that I have already addressed this with the STAFF.

I am, however, glad that your stay was positive and that you will be returning soon.

Protea Hotel Kimberley

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Cape Town Central, South Africa
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2013

I really liked the hotel; it had character and was original, which I have found with other Protea hotels. The swimming pool is a really original idea - unfortunately it was far too cold to swim, but well done with that one.

What I found disappointing was service. Don't get me wrong, the staff were all very helpful, friendly and polite, but not really "on the ball". Just one example, service at breakfast: they will bring you a pot of tea or coffee, but no cup. That happened at least 4 times. I think a bit more training and attention to detail would make a lot of difference.

We ate dinner there the first night and the food was good. Breakfast is not so great; all somewhat overcooked.

I also found it to be very noisy at night, although that could be down to the guests as well as the staff.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
ProteaHotels, General Manager at Protea Hotel Kimberley, responded to this review, July 31, 2013
Dear LondonDes

Your comments posted on TripAdvisor are appreciated by the TEAM.

Our hotel certainly has character and our location near the Big Hole adds to ones experience in Kimberley.

Attention to detail is something that we are constantly working on; especially in the food and beverage areas. The example you gave in your review is unacceptable and we will look into this. I will definitely be having a TEAM meeting to iron out these concerns and raise the levels of service throughout the hotel.

At any stage there are very diverse GUESTS in the hotel and we do our best to keep noise at a minimum. Together with the TEAM we will endeavour to keep it quieter especially after hours.

We hope to welcome you back soon.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

My husband and I spent a weekend there in July and as usual had a lovely stay. The staff was friendly and helpful, the rooms were clean and comfortable. Nice beds with nice crisp linen. Nice fluffy towels (refreshed since our last stay in May). Nice size rooms, we could comfortably fit in a cot for our little one.

Good selection of food at breakfast. Overall a lovely hotel. We have 3 more visits to Kimberley this year and will be staying at the Protea Hotel for all of them.

• Stayed July 2013
ProteaHotels, General Manager at Protea Hotel Kimberley, responded to this review, July 23, 2013
Dear Batsamai

It is great to hear of your '5 out of 5' experience at Protea Hotel Kimberley. Thank you for posting such a lovely review on TripAdvisor.

We pride ourselves on offering every GUEST a fresh room, which is comfortable and clean. I will commend the STAFF on the friendly and helpful attitude you mentioned. The chef will also be happy to hear that you enjoyed the selection at breakfast.

I look forward to your next visit and please pop in to say hi.

Wilmington, Delaware
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

We enjoyed a one night stay in May 2013, however the restaurant lets the rest of the hotel down. Food was average at best and the restaurant service left a lot to be desired. Reception service was very good and friendly.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
ProteaHotels, General Manager at Protea Hotel Kimberley, responded to this review, July 10, 2013
Dear AmericanTraveller55

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your recent stopover in Kimberley.

The STAFF are at the heart of the hotel and reading that you received friendly service from reception is pleasing to hear.

I am however truly sorry that you were disappointed with the meals and restaurant service. The TEAM is currently working on improving our food & beverage offering, as well as implementing continuous training to ensure that on your return, the issues have been resolved.

I hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back for a longer stay and some delicious meals.

3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2013

A three star rating is perhaps a little unfair, but it is not quite four stars in my book, so I’ll sit on the fence with 3.5 stars. The check-in staff were very friendly and efficient. I was able to change my room to one of those in the outside block of rooms (based on the advice of fellow Trip Advisor reviewers – thank you). I can see why it is preferred not to be placed in the main hotel near the restaurant. Not that there appears anything wrong with it, it is just much nicer being away from the buzz. The room was more than comfortable and had all the required amenities, including a hairdryer (which I have found to be a rarity in most hotel rooms and guesthouses). A decent mid-30 inch flat screen TV broadcasting all the channels that they promised they would (including Supersport 2 so that I could watch the Proteas beat Pakistan in a must-win game) and reasonable tea and coffee-making facilities. A mini bar would be useful (if for no other reason than to keep water cool as I do not like the water in Kimberley), but the staff are happy to provide you with a bucket of ice for those purposes. The beds were comfy and the curtains blocked out all of the light which, combined, provided for a good night’s rest. I ordered room service the one evening (and dined out the other), and the food was well prepared and arrived quite quickly and hot. I had bolognaise which, while nice, had a fair amount of chilli. I don’t mind, but I know a number of people who do not eat chilli and in the event of ordering bolognaise, would be disappointed as there was no mention of chilli and it typically shouldn’t have any in it. The breakfast buffet was adequate – I have had worse and I have had better. They serve a variety of coffees (lattes/cappuccinos, espressos etc.) which is nice change from the standard brew. Two complaints that I have relate to the wireless internet and the shower. I had problems connecting to wireless during my stay, but this was resolved quite quickly by the front-of-house staff. The issue is that you get 100Mb free per day, whereafter they charge R60 per further 100Mb. In this day and age, this approach is rather archaic, and R60 per 100Mb is far too expensive. The shower was probably the biggest annoyance. The beautiful imitation-rain showerhead is completely wasted when it is pretty much impossible to adjust the temperature to sit somewhere comfortable between scalding and freezing. A plea to the Protea Hotel (and all hotel groups for that matter) – sort this out.

In a recent review for another Kimberley establishment I was criticised by the owners for comparing their establishment with one that is significantly more expensive, which was fair enough (albeit not the point behind the comparison). Well, I paid a rather insignificant R170 per night more for the Protea Hotel. In my opinion, the gulf between the two establishments is worth significantly more than that. This will be my preferred lodgings for future stays in Kimberley. Sort out the showers and revise the wireless internet setup– then comfortably 4 stars.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the main hotel building if you want something quiet, preferably on the seco...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
ProteaHotels, General Manager at Protea Hotel Kimberley, responded to this review, June 19, 2013
Dear Flamingmonk

We really appreciate your detailed feedback and loved your mention of old world charm, which really captures what Kimberley represents.

Offering the best GUEST service is a top priority to us and I am delighted that the STAFF attended to your concerns quickly and with their friendly approach.

Ensuring that our GUESTS are comfortable and feel at home in their room is a must. After reading your comments regarding your in-room experience, I will make sure to look into supplying mini fridges as well as urgent attention to the shower temperature. With regards to the internet; our current offering is the brand standard across all Protea Hotels. However, I will be sure to mention your valid points as I am fully aware of the importance of connectivity.

Thank you for your recommendation and when you return please be sure to pop in to my office to discuss these matters further.

Durban, South Africa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2013

Entry into this old world setting leaves one uncertain of facility.
Nice old world charm of what Kimberley must have looked like 150 years ago - with lots of pix of the era
Good clean rooms; clean bath/shower
Basic breakfast buffet ; limited dinner selection
Great view of Big Hole - right next to hotel.
Relatively expensive but a 4 star (????) Will stay here again - limited options in this town; far better than Garden Court anyway

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
ProteaHotels, General Manager at Protea Hotel Kimberley, responded to this review, May 31, 2013
Dear HarriANarismulu

Thank you for posting a review about Protea Hotel Kimberley on TripAdvisor.

You are 100% on point that Kimberley has a rich history, which we have tried to capture within the hotel’s décor.

Providing fresh rooms, comfortable beds and great bathrooms is important for Protea Hotels and we are happy that we met your expectations. However, it is upsetting that we did not wow you with our breakfast and dinner. This will be discussed amongst the TEAM as we are continuously striving for excellence.

We appreciate your feedback and support of Protea Hotels during your stay in South Africa.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2013

The hotel has improved since my last visit in terms of attention to detail and service. The restaurant remains slow, but food has improved slightly. The shaded parking is a disaster. Better close it. The nearby attractions are not well advertised or even promoted.

Room Tip: Lower floors to be avoided if view is important.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
ProteaHotels, General Manager at Protea Hotel Kimberley, responded to this review, May 20, 2013
Dear SabeloN

Thank you for visiting us again. We are continuously striving for excellence and your comments on the improvement you noticed affirm that we are on track. I appreciate your feedback as this goes a long way in assisting us with setting goals to be achieved.

With the recent cold front, we had a pipe burst and unfortunately this meant some water flowing to the parking area. I apologise for this inconvenience, but would also like to let you know that we are most likely going to re-pave the entire area.

I will pass on your compliments to the chef and at the same time look into the service concerns you raised.

I hope to welcome you back again soon.

Protea Hotel Kimberley

Been to Protea Hotel Kimberley? Share your experiences!