“not the best” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Protea Hotel Highveld

You added Protea Hotel Highveld to your Saves list
Protea Hotel Highveld
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Financial Square, (Mpumalanga) | Cnr of Woltemade & Mandela Street, Witbank 1036, South Africa   |
Hotel deals
Hotel packages
Ranked #4 of 6 Hotels in Witbank
“not the best”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2013

Stayed for a week, wish I stayed for a day. The positive side of the hotel is the nice large rooms, clean cool bed linnens, functioning airconditioner, large flatscreen tv. The negatives are, the extremely cramped shower, dont expect to move your arms whilst trying to wash yourself. Room service inconsistent. One day one I had a extremly pleasant experience, my order was 100%. On day two everything was wrong order wise. Antoher headache is the parking. You have to share parking spots with local businesses sharing the building. I struggled to get parking, and when I did, business owners did not seem to be very happy about my parking spot choice. If these quirks could be fixex, this would be the best place to stay in Witbank.

Jolandi B, General Manager at Protea Hotel Highveld, responded to this review, September 21, 2013
Dear Charl W

I would like to apologise for the disappointing experience you had at Protea Hotel Highveld, on your recent visit.

I have addressed your comments regarding the inconsistencies that are occuring in room service, with the relevant STAFF to ensure that this does not happen again. We have noted your comments on the shower size and will most certainly look into installing larger showers when we next renovate the hotel. With regards to your comments on the parking space, we will be talking to the landlords of the complex, to see if this problem can be resolved.

I would like to assure you, that this is not the quality of service that we normally pride ourselves in, and we will be doing everything in our power to ensure that we do become the "Best Place To Stay In Witbank."

Protea Hotel Highveld

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
WR
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2013

For the same price you can enjoy a good sleep and good food in a guest house. This hotel is not worth the trouble.

First of all, a "warm" dessert is not a refrigerator tart. At least serve what you describe or remove the description on the menu.
Secondly, why anyone would put a 500x500cm shower in a 3mx3m bathroom, is beyond me. I'm not a fat person, but even me had to get out of the shower to move my hands. If you're a bigger person, forget this shower.
Thirdly, dont think about a quick shower. It took me a good part of 10 min's to get the temperature right; its either burning hot or ice cold. O by the way, first open the cold because you wont be able to reach the taps without burning.

And then, if you want to sanitise the room, at least use a more appealing smell. And maybe consider getting a carpet cleaner in.

Therefore, consider a guest house or pay that little bit more for a proper hotel.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Jolandi B, General Manager at Protea Hotel Highveld, responded to this review, September 18, 2013
Dear Whydoyouneedascreenn

I would like to apologise most sincerely that you had such a disappointing experience at Protea Hotel Highveld, on your recent visit.

I have addressed your comments with regards to the dessert with my TEAM to ensure this does not happen again. My sincere apologies for not delivering what you've ordered. With regards to the showersize and water tempreture control, we are noting your comments and will most certainly look into installing larger showers when we renovate the hotel next.

Please be assured that this is not the quality of service and facilities that we pride ourselves in at Protea Hotel Highveld and we will do everything in our power to ensure our GUESTS are well looked after. Please contact me personally whenever you need accommodation in Witbank again as I would like to offer you a nights accommodation with our compliments as a token of our concern.

I really hope to have an opportunity to prove to you that we are proud of our Hotel and the services that my TEAM provides, as we are determined to get the basics right

2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2013

Facilities dysfunctional. Bathrooms large - but have been designed to have all of the worst features, regarding showers, toilet position, tap position,lack of lighting. Plenty of cold water - hot takes some 20min to run through (in a water shortage area!!). Safe does not work, inadequate plugs at desk. Staff pleasant. Dinner adequate - but as with all else under managed. Entrance to room area unsecured - (lock broken) - definitely not deserving its current star rating.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Jolandi B, General Manager at Protea Hotel Highveld, responded to this review, March 22, 2013
Dear Tony S

Thank you for staying with us and for taking the time to give us feedback regarding your stay. Please accept my deepest apologies for what turned out to be a disappointing experience. Please be assured that my management TEAM and I are on top of the various issues you mentioned and will make every effort to ensure that these concerns are addressed immediately. I look forward to welcoming you back, so that we are able to show you the true hospitality that we offer our valued GUESTS.

Johannesburg, South Africa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2012 via mobile

Room is spacious and clean. All facilities are in good repair and it felt as if the room belonged in a different place and hotel. Surprisingly cozy and accommodating.
Staff were efficient but not over friendly. Not accommodating at all. To much trouble to pick up a phone and resolve a mixed up reservation. Had to do it myself.
Overall good value for money.

• Stayed September 2012
Jolandi B, Marketing Plan Co-ordinator at Protea Hotel Highveld, responded to this review, September 14, 2012
Dear Valued GUEST

We would like to thank you for your compliments . Management would like to invetigate the problem you had with your reservation to enable us to do so please forward me your email address and contact number.

Jolandi Botes
marketing@proteahighveld.co.za
+27(0) 13 656 2721
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2011

Stayed at the hotel on my way to Johannesburg from Nelspruit. Staff were friendly and the room was very clean and extremely big. Have no complaints at all. Was able to arrange for a late check out because there was some shopping to be done. Look forward to going back.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
Dear Pastor Masuku

Thank you for your words of appreciation regarding your stay at Protea Hotel Highveld. It was our pleasure to accommodate you, and your interest and loyalty are trylu invaluable to us.

Centurion, South Africa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2011

Didn't have much review to go on, so, I along with my wife went with an open mind. We got there and were told 'witbank was having water troubles', we thought, 'perfect!'. However, the stay was pleasant despite the lack of water (For the first night only). The water supply was restored the following morning. The staffs were 'warm' and helpful, and the breakfast was superb!! couldn't have enough of it...

rooms were very clean, facilities worked, and I enjoyed the stay. However, there isn't much else to do than eat and sleep in witbank, would be nice if the hotel could organize trips/outing ideas.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Dear Orefad

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your stay at the Protea Hotel Highveld. Your commendations of the service and facilities you experienced are highly valued and will be communicated to our TEAM.

south africa
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2010

The rooms of this hotel are very big with decent bathrooms (albeit shallow basins that splash onto the floor) and it is still new and relatively modern. However... the reception staff an housekeeping are pathetic.

i have stayed at this hotel a few times and EVERY time i stay i need to call for soap, shower cap ect which takes at least 20 mins to bring and hotel is EMPTY!!

better off at new sleep easy down the road, same price, has a pool and service is better.

reception staff needs to up their game and at least pretend to care when guests call and not display their poor dont care attitude...half TV channels dont work and when call get "i dont know attitude"...

• Stayed January 2010, traveled on business

Been to Protea Hotel Highveld? Share your experiences!