“Near Kruger National Park” 4 of 5 stars

Hotel deals
Hotel packages
Ranked #6 of 10 Hotels in White River
Miami, Florida
“Near Kruger National Park”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2013

Let me start by saying that "near" is one hour away from the park on a very good highway. Very comfortable to relax after you spend all day al the park plus the drive time there and back of two hours. Rooms have all amenities in must hotels. MAKE SURE YOU TAKE WITH YOU A SOUTH AFRICA PLUG AND A CONVERTER. Food was acceptable, fruits and vegetables were fresh, tasty and without chemicals. Drink bottled water even though tap water is safe. Staff was friendly as must people in Africa are.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Hotel_Management2010, General Manager at Protea Hotel The Winkler, responded to this review, October 2, 2013
Dear "santiagozamudio",

Greetings from the Protea Hotel Winkler TEAM!

Thank you for choosing to stay at our beloved hotel when visiting the Kruger Park area. Your kind recommendations are much appreciated.

I am surprised to hear about your travel time to the park as the Numbi Gate of the Kruger Park is only 28 km's away from our hotel, so it should not take you more than 25 minutes from door to door. It seems like you or your driver have used a different - further away - entrance to the Kruger park. Our sincere apologies for this inconvenience.

We look forward to hosting you again upon your return to South Africa.

Protea Hotel The Winkler

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Plainfield, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2013 via mobile

The hotel was clean and near Kruger National Park, which was what we needed it for. The breakfast and dinner buffets were decent, but the staff in the restaurant and the bar were unhelpful. They were rude when you asked for a drink, refused to give change, and were generally unfriendly.

• Stayed September 2013
Dear "Smasta",

We would like to thank you for taking the time to provide us with your comments on your recent stay with us. Although you indicate your stay had been generally comfortable and you enjoyed our facilities and location, I am very disappointed to hear that we have let you down when it comes to the service offering in the restaurant and bar.

Clearly the service experienced in our restaurant was below par on the night of your stay and of an unacceptable standard. I will discuss this matter with our entire team and will take the necessary actions.

We do hope you will allow us the opportunity to host you again in future and convince you of our ability to provide genuine and sincere South African hospitality.

Yours sincerely,

Salem OR
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2013

Gorgeous views, great service, lovely, lovely place. Had my own little bungalow. A bit of a walk into the main part of the hotel but still everything was wonderful. Didn't do much but relax after long park excursions.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Hotel_Management2010, General Manager at Protea Hotel The Winkler, responded to this review, September 25, 2013
Dear "Mimibest",

Thank you for the brilliant review and for choosing to stay with us when visiting the Kruger Park area.

We look forward hosting you once again upon your return to SA!

Denbigh, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

Stayed at this unusual hotel on my first escape R&R from war torn Mozambique in the early 90's. Very comfortable and interesting rondavels design, with extensive grounds and excellent views across the countryside. It wasn't cheap but they did me a good deal as I'd come from Maputo, and they took pity on me!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Hotel_Management2010, General Manager at Protea Hotel The Winkler, responded to this review, September 5, 2013
Dear "Ian H",

Thank you for your kind words on your experience at our hotel. I fully agree with you that our hotel is quite unique in its design and has become a landmark in the White River area...

Do make sure you pay us another visit soon so you can enjoy our beautiful surrounding landscape!

New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

I stayed here as part of a tour from August 19th to August 21, 2013. The decor of my room was nice and it wasn't to far from Kruger National Park. Unfortunately these are the only two nice things I could say about this hotel. First, food-after arriving I wished we were close enough to have other eating options. The food was nasty and undercooked chicken turned me off! Then for some reason they do not put face cloths in the rooms so I had to ask for one the 1st day there and was lucky to get one. The 2nd day I asked for one and they came to my door with a hand towel because they were out of face cloths. *Note to hotel-if face cloths are put in the rooms ahead of time, then you won't have guest asking for them!!!!* This was not only my experience, but the experience of others within my group. My 3rd complaint is that when guest are sleeping staff should not be yelling back and forth to each other in the wee hours of the morning. Use a walkie or something!!!! Thank goodness we were only here for about 2 days and then it was time to leave this place. P.S-you will have to ask the front desk for an adapter for the outlets as they require one with 3 larger holes and I even brought converter outlets with me.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
Hotel_Management2010, General Manager at Protea Hotel The Winkler, responded to this review, September 4, 2013
Dear "JALUV",

Thank you for taking the time and effort to provide us with your feedback! You can imagine that I was most concerned to read your TripAdvisor review and learned that we clearly have not been able to exceed your expectations when visiting us recently.

I have discussed your comment around the undercooked chicken with our executive chef. I can assure that this is an isolated incident as we uphold very stringent health and safety standards at the hotel. Furthermore, during your stay with us, we regrettably ran out of facial tissues and temporarily provided our guests with face cloths. This issue has already been addressed and corrected and I can assure you that I will personally monitor stock levels of these specific items to avoid this from happening in future.

Together with the Executive housekeeper, we have already conducted additional training for our room attendants to be more aware of their "noise levels" during the morning service of rooms, to avoid disruption of guests well deserved rest. I can imagine the frustration and we apologise for the discomfort it has created.

Your detailed feedback is truly appreciated!

Yours sincerely,

Pretoria
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2013

We stayed at this hotel for a long weekend. The rooms are very spacious, and the layout of the room is brilliant. Having to sleep on such a gigantic bed was a real treat and each room has its own aircon and tv. The bathroom was very neat and although there is not a seperate shower (shower is in bath) it is really not too much of an inconvenience. The restaurant is a bit expensive, but the sunday buffet is still very good. Wide selection of food and freshly prepared. There is a huge pool, which is nice to just lay next to and relax. I would recommend this hotel if you wanted a bit more luxury

• Stayed March 2013
Hotel_Management2010, General Manager at Protea Hotel The Winkler, responded to this review, July 29, 2013
Dear "charlenesteyn",

Great to hear we have been able to create a comfortable and relaxing stay for you when staying with us over a long weekend. And thank you for sharing these recommendations with the TripAdvisor community. Your support is much appreciated!

We look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Cape Town
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013 via mobile

Service was excellent from every member of staff. Rooms were spacious and beds were very comfortable. Showers hot. generous buffets. Enormous grounds for the kids and gorgeous views from the deck. We'll definitely be back.

Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Hotel_Management2010, General Manager at Protea Hotel The Winkler, responded to this review, July 9, 2013
Dear "BridgetbCT" and family,

It was lovely to meet you all and I really enjoyed having such interesting conversations around your travel experiences. I would like to thank you for taking the time to tell other people about your stay with us. We always welcome guest feedback to maintain our high standards but more importantly, feedback on how to improve on our shortcomings.

It makes me extremely proud of my TEAM when reading your feedback and I will convey this compliment to everyone at the hotel. Your comments will motivate us even more to continue to strive for service excellence. We will be honored to welcoming you back again in the near future.

Charmaine Kotze - General Manager

Been to Protea Hotel The Winkler? Share your experiences!