Kruger park lodge
I have been writing views of our recent travels through South Africa, and did not commence my travel advisories in chronological order.
This presents a problem as each place I stayed at , was nicer than the last,but not qualitative. Each one was amazing for the portion of the experience we were sharing, as it related to the surroundings we were in.
We had travelled 4-5 hours from Swaziland to get to Kruger national park reserve ,with the final 2 hours driving through the park. We had entered the park from the Melalane Gate at the south end,and drove through the reserve building our appetites for this point.
The grounds and layout of this property astounded us in that it was amazing that the developers had decided to create what they did within a 1/4 mile from the reserve, backed onto the river.
My impression was that I had travelled to a south sea island resort, not a game reserve.
The open feeling of the place, the walkways,pool area, raised lookout topped by the amazing outdoor dining barbecue buffet are just hard to beat.It was kind of a shame to go to see animals instead of spending the day just inside these lush surroundings. One can wake up in the AM to impalas waltzing around your rear door, or monkeys swinging by you at the pool.
There is a gym, but this is really just a nice little raised platform lookout room with a treadmill and an all in one machine that was not really worth playing with.
There is also a spa which offers massage and I heard reports that they were very good.
Breakfast buffet was also first class with a multitude of choice.
I would point out here that almost all the places offering the breakfast buffets were excellent, and the only negative is the slowdown when people want their own special omelet ,as everybody stands there holding their plates of food.
It seemed that all places we visited, not a single employee at the egg counter had the ability to prejudge the demand and commence a few at a time,eg regardless of how many people were standing in line in front of them with other food getting cold on their plate.
This is not a critique of Protea Kruger Gate, but a general comment across the board
Still , a top rated place
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Protea Hotel Kruger Gate - Where the bushveld is your playground, no matter your age! Protea Hotel Kruger Gate, a superior lodge style hotel on the banks of the Sabie River in Mpumalanga offers an affordable luxury getaway. The ambiance of comfort is unforgettable in the context of the African bush. Enjoy the serenity of being in a tree house that overlooks the bushveld, whilst you watch the wildlife go by. Keep your head in the clouds as the veranda and walkway to your air-conditioned room is at a level normally the sole domain of the variety of birds found in the area. Situated only 100 meters from the Paul Kruger Gate of the Kruger National Park, the luxurious Protea Hotel Kruger Gate provides guests with the ideal location from which to experience wildlife first-hand. This lodge offers bush drives in a Private Reserve and throughout the Kruger National Park, along with open vehicle safaris and organized game trails for you and your family. Don’t forget your binoculars in this birdwatchers paradise. A days adventure is best ended off with a visit to the stunning open air Lapa Restaurant. With an extensive array of local foods to choose from, enjoy a dinner under the African stars. We can even make special arrangements for a Tree house sleep out. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Priceline, Agoda, Orbitz, Travelocity, Despegar.com, Odigeo and Tingo so you can book your Protea Hotel Kruger Gate reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Protea Kruger Gate Hotel Skukuza
- Protea Kruger Gate Skukuza
- Kruger Gate Hotel
- Protea Hotel Kruger Gate South Africa/Skukuza