“Peaceful” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Protea Hotel Kruger Gate

You added Protea Hotel Kruger Gate to your Saves list
Protea Hotel Kruger Gate
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   on Sabi River at the Paul Kruger Gate | Portia Shabangu Rd, Skukuza 1350, South Africa   |
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Skukuza
Johannesburg, South Africa
“Peaceful”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2013

This was a peaceful and relaxing place to be. Away from the business and fast forward life of the city. The animals were amazing to see. Accommodation was more than expected, looking forward to coming back.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
PH-KrugerGate, General Manager at Protea Hotel Kruger Gate, responded to this review, January 6, 2014
Dear Guest
Thank you for your comments on TripAdvisor.
Our location is in the heart of the bushveld together with the majestic surroundings means that GUESTS can have an amazing experience. Your enjoyment of our hotel rings true to what the entire TEAM aim to deliver for every GUEST.

I look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (83)
UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2013

Stayed three nights as part of a small group. Very comfortable room with lots of space, tea and coffee facilities and a well appointed bathroom with an excellent walk in shower.Lovely comfortable bed and a quiet nights sleep guaranteed !!.

We had an upper floor room a short walk from reception, in my opinion much better than the lower floors which seemed dark..

The whole lodge is in a fantastic setting with wide open spaces, high ceilings and open dining under the stars. There is an elevated viewing area with a bar - an ideal place for pre-dinner drinks and to watch the animals in the park.
The swimming pool is inviting and once again in a memorable setting.

An excellent evening buffet with plenty of choice and the breakfast served in the upper dining room was substantial and well presented.
Very enjoyable short stay.

Dear GUEST
Your review is truly spectacular and we appreciate you posting such detailed feedback on TripAdvisor.

There is definitely something magical about the bush and a holiday here is always revitalizing. I am a big fan of the viewing decks myself and hearing of your enjoyment is pleasing.

The chef and TEAM are inspired to continuously deliver unique dishes on our open air buffets and they will be motivated by your positive comments.

Maybe next time you can stay a little longer. Thank you for choosing to stay at Protea Hotel Kruger Gate and we look forward to welcoming you back again soon.
Bratislava, Slovakia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2013

If you want to stay close to the Kruger (but not inside) then this hotel is perfect. The hotel is located right next to Kruger gate and you are inside the park within a few minutes. Why not stay inside the park itself, and have wildlife right outside your door you might ask. Simple reason. The lodges inside the park are typically much more expensive so instead of $100/night which I paid at Kruger Gate you can expect to pay $300/night or more when inside one of the lodges inside the park. The lodge has excellent facilities and the buffet dinner is especially good. There is also a small pool and spa facilities. On the downside the room I had was not that great, as it was dark with not much light. But then again, you don't go to the Kruger National Park to spend most of your time in your room. If you do, this is a problem. Much better to be out and about spotting lion, elephant, giraffe, buffalo, wildebest, zebra, and leopard ... all of which I saw!!!! The leopard walking out of the bush in front of our safari van was a special highlight that I will always remember!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
Dear GUEST
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. Your feedback will certainly assist us with our search for excellence.
We are very lucky to have Kruger National Park as our backyard. I am pleased that our location and prices was of benefit to you during your stay.

Being located in the bush, we try to blend in with nature in all areas. Your comment regarding the lighting is something that I will discuss with the TEAM to ensure that GUESTS are not at all frustrated.

As far as the game viewing goes, I am delighted that you that you saw one of the most magical cats of them all. I look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit.
Milton Keynes, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2013

We often stay at Protea Hotels when in South Africa, but this was our stay at Kruger Gate.
It was perfect for our needs. We wanted to stay outside the Park but close to it, and the Protea is ideals situated just outside the park gate. We had a comfortable and quiet room and slept well.
The design and grounds are attractive. The breakfast and dinner buffets offer a wide choice with good quality. Even at the busiest times we never had to wait long. Service was friendly and efficient. This was a great start to our holiday.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear GUEST
Thank you for your words of appreciation and complements during your recent stay at Protea Hotel Kruger Gate We are delighted to receive your compliments and we will certainly congratulate the STAFF you commended for their exemplary service.
It was our pleasure to accommodate you, and your interest and loyalty are truly invaluable to us. Thank you for choosing to stay at Protea Hotel Kruger Gate and we look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Best regards,
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2013

We stayed here for 2 nights so we can take full advantage of Kruger National Park- where its less than a 3 minute drive to the gates. My boyfriend, brother and I absolutely loved Protea Kruger and this was probably our favorite hotel during our South Africa trip. The entire lodge is beautiful, especially the reception area with the central sitting area and the high ceilings. The rooms are clean, luxurious, and spacious with modern appliances and a mix of African and modern decor. Great food where they offered a variety of the African game meats such as kudu and wildebeest. Staff here is also very friendly.

My only suggestion for improvement is that they need to add a self-serve egg dish along with the breakfast buffet. The only place you can get eggs is their egg station where you can order, but when there's a lot of people (especially when you're with a tour group) there ends up being a huge line.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
PH-KrugerGate, General Manager at Protea Hotel Kruger Gate, responded to this review, December 13, 2013
Dear GUEST

Thank you for your fantastic comments on TripAdvisor. Our newly refurbished rooms offer great comfort in such tranquil surroundings. Being located in the bush, we try to blend in with nature in all areas. I am thrilled that you enjoyed the wide variety of dishes available at the outdoor buffet. I will congratulate the chef and TEAM as well as the entire STAFF regarding their friendly service.

Your comment regarding the egg station is something that I will discuss with the TEAM to ensure that GUESTS are not at all frustrated.

Thank you for choosing Protea Hotel Kruger Gate as your favourite Hotel during your trip, and we look forward to welcoming you back again soon.
Johannesburg, South Africa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2013

We had a great 3 night stay recently for our anniversary weekend.

The hotel is really terrific, the setting beautiful and the location right at the gate into Kruger National Park could not be better or more convenient. The rooms are well furnished and very comfortable, especially the large kingsize bed. The breakfast is super with enough variety for most tastes. The evening buffet in the dining room was okay, we felt the choices could have been a bit better. We thoroughly enjoyed the evening meals in the boma, the atmosphere is fantastic. We found all the staff very friendly and helpful and the restaurant staff particularly so. All in all a great stay and would highly recommend the hotel.

The only negative for us was on our second morning (22nd November) when heading out for the day in the Park, I had forgotten my purse in the safe and we needed my SanParks WildCard for entry into the park. My husband went back in and fetched my purse, locked up and we left. On returning to the room much later in the afternoon at around 5;30pm, we found the safe had been opened and the safe door left standing open, after which we were not able to reset or lock the safe again for the rest of our stay which forced us to take with all our valuables each day after that. Fortunately nothing was taken, inside was my bag (minus my purse thankfully), my netbook laptop & my husbands firearm. So I can only presume that "they" were after cash!!

There is a warning with the key card to safe guard your valuables but we honestly did not expect this warning to include the safe as we utilise the in room safe wherever we travel worldwide and have never had a problem until this incident!!

**SO PLEASE BE WARNED** take the warning from the management seriously

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
PH-KrugerGate, General Manager at Protea Hotel Kruger Gate, responded to this review, December 6, 2013
Dear GUEST
Thank you for your comments on the TripAdvisor website after your resent stay with us at Protea Hotel Kruger Gate. We are so lucky to be located in such a beautiful part of the world and to have the Kruger National Park as our back yard. You are right, whether dinning under the stars or relaxing in our comfortable rooms,, GUESTS can get a glimpse of the wildlife in their natural habitat.

Please accept my sincere apologies for the discomfort and inconvenience you experienced. Your feedback regarding the safe in the rooms by no means reflects the high standard of quality and service that Protea Hotel Kruger Gate is usually proud to offer. In future please report breached of security immediately, the safe can be interrogated and we will be able to see who opened it. Your feedback is imperative for us to ensure that our GUESTS’ expectations are being met and exceeded. Without your comments, we would never know when we are doing right, but more importantly, when we are doing wrong! Thank you for assisting us to strive for service excellence.

Your interest and concern are much appreciated, and we hope to have the privilege of welcoming you to Protea Hotels again in the near future.
Montreal
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2013

What I liked:
- very nice bathroom and furnishings
- the overall lodge and property is impressive looking
- excellent buffet - loved the BBQ
- seemed to be good at keeping away mosquitos around the outdoor BBQ area - didn't have any problems
- incredible service at breakfast - staff go out of their way to please and be friendly
- quick response on requests made at front desk
- good suggestion form

What I think needs improvement:
- miscommunication from front desk on timing and type of game drive - the person responsible for organizing these safaris for the hotel with the Park Rangers was completely unresponsive and after spending an hour arguing ..we were forced to call our tour provider to have them fix the issues. This hotel needs to think about client experience - we booked this trip more than a year ago and have been waiting a long time for this safari. This time miss-up made me miss my spa appointment.
- I noticed small green bugs that looked like spiders on the bed's comforters. When, I continued to investigate - I saw blond hair stuck underneath the pillow. These linens don't seem to be washed as well as they should be ... I did not feel comfortable sleeping in this bed.
- The sofa in the room could also use a cleaning
- I wasn't big on staying on the ground level and I found the corridors a bit dark. If I were on my own ... I would have asked to be moved.
- I think it would have been nice to provide a mosquito net - at least this is what they had in the hotels in Kenya that I stayed at..
- the bathroom sink had a big crack in it.
- I called reception and the phone rang at least 20 times. I left the room and walked to reception thinking I might have the wrong number. When, I asked about this ... they said - oh I guess we missed the call and didn't apologize. Luckily, I was just asking for an ironing board and it wasn't an actually emergency

Tip: Book your own safari through a private company and don't depend on the hotel. While, the Park Rangers have excellent knowledge and probably the best know-how on where to find the big five - the hotel will put you on a big truck that seats 20 people ... even though they could easily arrange for two smaller vans of 10 people. While, these are all open air, the smaller vehicle is lower and closer to the animals - which means better photos.

Room Tip: As for a room on the same level as reception or one of their cottages
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Dear GUEST.

Thank you for taking the time to comment on the TripAdvisor website after your recent stay with us at Protea Hotel Kruger Gate. Your feedback is highly valued and will be used constructively to maintain and improve our standards of service and facilities. Please accept my sincere apologies for the discomfort and inconvenience that you experienced during your stay. Your feedback about the miscommunication from the front desk, game drive and the cleanliness of the room certainly does not reflect the high standard of service and quality that Protea Hotel Kruger Gate is usually proud to offer. I confirm therefore that your comments have been followed up and remedial action has been taken to ensure that our GUESTS are not inconvenienced in this way again.

GUEST feedback is imperative for us to ensure that our GUESTS’ expectations are being met and exceeded. Without your comments, we would never know when we are doing right, but more importantly, when we are doing wrong! Thank you for assisting us to strive for service excellence.

Best regards,

Been to Protea Hotel Kruger Gate? Share your experiences!