Spent 3 nights here on a self-drive trip around Kruger. The big selling point of this lodge is its proximity to the Paul Kruger Gate and its position as fairly central in the park. Whilst you could journey around Kruger stopping at camps which are fairly basic; staying here allowed us to do a 'loop' each day, taking a different route, e.g. Down to Lower Sabie, Crocodile gate, and Malelane, or north towards the Orpen gate. The additional benefit is taking advantage of the organised safaris that leave from Paul Kruger gate, very reasonable and on the doorstep without the travel time from e.g. Hazyview etc.
Room was spacious with a 'lodge' feel, however, the walls/ceiling and bathroom fittings were tired and the shower continually flooded the floor due to a 2cm gap at the bottom of the glass screen, safe didn't work and a large gap at the bottom of the room door did not prevent mosquitos in the evening! Bed was big and fairly comfortable. Nothing outstanding but did the job.
The communal areas make you feel more like you're in a game reserve, the viewing terrace was great and I think if we had been fortunate to see any animals roaming in front of us, this review would have been 4-stars! Food ok but a little repetitive, it is a shame that the outdoors restaurant was only open on the Saturday we were there - much better quality and atmosphere when we ate there. Despite advertising free wifi in the communal areas, signal too weak to connect...but who wants Internet access when you are supposed to be enjoying a wild experience?
Would stay again simply for location, but the rooms could do with some attention.
- Also Known As:
- Protea Kruger Gate Hotel Skukuza
- Protea Kruger Gate Skukuza
- Protea Kruger Gate Hotel
- Protea Kruger Gate
- Kruger Gate Hotel
- Protea Hotel Kruger Gate South Africa/Skukuza
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Protea Hotel Kruger Gate - Where the bushveld is your playground, no matter your age! Protea Hotel Kruger Gate, a superior lodge style hotel on the banks of the Sabie River in Mpumalanga offers an affordable luxury getaway. The ambiance of comfort is unforgettable in the context of the African bush. Enjoy the serenity of being in a tree house that overlooks the bushveld, whilst you watch the wildlife go by. Keep your head in the clouds as the veranda and walkway to your air-conditioned room is at a level normally the sole domain of the variety of birds found in the area. Situated only 100 meters from the Paul Kruger Gate of the Kruger National Park, the luxurious Protea Hotel Kruger Gate provides guests with the ideal location from which to experience wildlife first-hand. This lodge offers bush drives in a Private Reserve and throughout the Kruger National Park, along with open vehicle safaris and organized game trails for you and your family. Don’t forget your binoculars in this birdwatchers paradise. A days adventure is best ended off with a visit to the stunning open air Lapa Restaurant. With an extensive array of local foods to choose from, enjoy a dinner under the African stars. We can even make special arrangements for a Tree house sleep out. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Agoda, Travelocity, Expedia, Hotels.com, Tingo, HotelTravel.com, Otel and Venere so you can book your Protea Hotel Kruger Gate reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.