“Love Hate Relationship With This Popular Hotel” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Protea Hotel Kruger Gate

You added Protea Hotel Kruger Gate to your Saves list
Protea Hotel Kruger Gate
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   on Sabi River at the Paul Kruger Gate | Portia Shabangu Rd, Skukuza 1350, South Africa   |
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Skukuza
Earth
“Love Hate Relationship With This Popular Hotel”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2012

We have been coming here for a while, and the rooms never get any better. We have yet to see a renovated room despite the fact that we are regulars and request nice rooms. Like R0many, we have had our fair share of musical rooms on check in. Some of them, for one reason or another, are just awful. Others are okay. Deferred Maintenance seems to be the culprit and the time has come to bite the bullet -- paint the walls, new curtains and bedspreads and repair the broken locks and windows. And please, the bathrooms!!! The rooms on the lower level always seem to smell moldy. Modern technology has ways of dealing with this. Invest!

The condition of the rooms is quite sad because the property itself is quite lovely and the location at the Kruger Gate is terrific for day trips into the Park. The Boma dinners have terrific ambience and are fun even though the grilled food is always overcooked. The grounds and viewing platforms are lovely and common areas are pleasant to sit around and chat. Staff could use some retraining but they are no worse than staff at other similar properties in South Africa.

The bones are here for a first rate property. Time to spend some money and do a revamp so those of us who are regulars do not drive up and dread seeing which room we will be getting.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
HeatherPoulsen, Guest Relations Manager at Protea Hotel Kruger Gate, responded to this review, October 25, 2012
Dear boudecca,

Thank you very much for taking the time to give feedback on your very recent stay at Protea Hotel Kruger Gate. Please accept my sincere apologies for the disappointment which you experienced with regards to the rooms. We are continuously trying to improve in all aspects and I will personally follow up on the concerns you had.

We again thank you for sharing your valued feedback with us!

Protea Hotel Kruger Gate

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (83)
Reading, UK
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

We chose the hotel on the basis of good reviews and nice photos. The reality was slightly more disappointing!

On arrival the staff were friendly, yet clearly trying to work out if you were going to be a big-tipper or not... after that they didn't seem to bother much. Courteous yes, but not particularly welcoming.

We were shown our room. It was dark, stank of mould, the bath was leaking all over the bathroom floor and the locks to the patio doors were broken...

I have never asked to change rooms in a hotel in my life, yet this was just grim so before finished the unpacking we asked to move and they dutifully obliged.

The next room we were given was on the ground floor, smelt just as musty, and the doors would still not lock properly - which felt even more unsafe being at ground level! So we asked if there were any other options.

Our third room was on back on the upper level, and was marginally better. Enough of an improvement to make it worth moving, but still nothing near what I would expect from a hotel of the Protea's reputation (and believe me, I have stayed in a LOT of hotels!).

The pool was not kept very clean. I even used one of the cleaning nets to scoop old leaves out so my children could play more easily. In the nets I also scooped up several very thin odd looking worms about 10 inches long... not terribly pleasant.

The outside terraces, bar and game viewing platform were nice enough. And the best thing about the place was the food, which was excellent - great variety and plenty of tasty options even for fussy eaters.

I hear that the rooms have started to be renovated since we were there - this work was very overdue. It saddens me that we stayed there before this work was undertaken - had we had a nicer room the whole experience would have been a whole lot more positive. As it was we just felt completely ripped off.

Room Tip: Apparently the rooms have since started undergoing renovations (not yet complete) - so make sure you...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
Dear R0many,

Thank you very much for your review regarding your stay at Protea Hotel Kruger Gate. We are extremely saddened by your feedback. As you are aware, Protea Hotels prides itself in delivering the best GUEST service and strives to get the basics right consistently. Your overall experience is therefore very concerning to us. I wish to confirm that I have personally followed up on your each of your comments and rectified the shortcomings in our service that you have brought to our attention. Please accept my sincere apologies for the inconvenience and disappointment which you experienced. Furthermore, please be advised that the renovations of the hotel will recommence in the new year! I hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back in the near future to experience some of the changes to the hotel.

Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2012

I stayed for 3 nights and during that time took several safari drives into KNP.

I'm surprised reading some of the negative reviews about this hotel and having read some before my stay I was a little apprehensive. All fears were unfounded though and I was very happy with my stay here.

The grounds and common areas are very pleasant. My ground floor room had sliding doors which opened near the swimming pool. There are also some elevated viewing areas which allow you to sit back, relax and view game such as elephants that come very close to the hotel. My room was refurbished and was in excellent condition with all lights, appliances, safe etc in good working order. The room was well serviced each day and I was never disturbed by housekeeping staff in any way.

I found both the breakfast buffet and the evening meal buffet in LAPA to be of a high standard. I would particularly recommend the stir fry in LAPA as it is made to order and you select the ingriendients yourself. There was a good variety of food available at both breakfast and dinner.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Dear HappyTravels-7,

I am so glad that the Protea Hotel Kruger Gate was able to contribute to one of your positive experiences during your travels in South Africa.

We would love to welcome you back to the Protea Hotel Kruger Gate or any Protea Hotel next time you are in South Africa.

Boston, MA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2012

I first visited this hotel in 2005 and I carried fond memories of its unique style and wonderful atmosphere for 7 year until my return in August 2012.

First, let's get the not-so-good items out of the way:

1) The hotel rooms are undergoing a major renovation (completion date unknown). Fortunately, I received one of the updated rooms and I was extremely pleased with it. However, some of my friends were in the older rooms and they were less satisfied. This is obviously a temporary issue.

2) The main building bar and restaurant are undergoing renovations (completion date unknown). These were big contributors to my wonderful experience on my first visit so I was a bit disappointed about that. This is also a temporary issue.

3) The hot water in my bathroom shower and sink was scaldingly hot! It was so hot that the pipes hissed from the steam and water combination blasting through them. Fortunately, it is so hot that I cannot imagine anyone accidentally exposing themselves to the stream. My response was to mix a tiny bit of hot and lots of cold for a "just-right" shower experience. I also thought I was better off with too much hot water instead of too little as is so common at many remote hotels. I do not know if this is a temporary issue.

Now for the positives:

1) Location, relative to one of the gates at Kruger Park, is wonderful. It allows guests to be at the front of the entry lines for the morning safaris

2) The grounds of the hotel are very nicely manicured, which makes walking through the property a real pleasure. There are also monkeys and other small animals on the property that enhance the nature experience. Some of the walkways at the hotel are elevated to tree level, creating another unique experience for guests.

3) The staff were some of the friendliest that I met during my 3 week trip through South Africa and Zimbabwe. In most cases, the staff seemed willing to do what they could to help guests, even when a request was out of their service area. One staffer in particular, a young man named Lovemore, did everything he could to make sure that my friends and I enjoyed our evenings at the hotel. He is a genuine asset to the hotel's team and should be commended.

4) The dinner experience is fun! Guests are called to a central outdoor dining area with a gong. That is followed by the lengthy process of creating your meal from the amazing variety of foods that are presented. Food quality is excellent!!

5) The gift shop has a very good selection of authentic South African items in all price ranges. It was the only hotel shop on my journey where I bought gifts for folks back home.

6) The tours and tour guides are AWESOME!!!!! I recommend participating in as many as possible.

7) Kruger Park is your next door neighbor!!! Animals actually walk up to the hotel's fence at all hours of the day and night.

I will look forward to a third visit to this very cool hotel in the not too distant future.

Room Tip: Ask for a newly renovated room.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Dear TBird209,

Thank you very much for your feedback regarding your recent stay at Protea Hotel Kruger Gate.

We rely on feedback such as yours to ensure that we improve where necessary, our facilities and standards of service. I am proud to inform you that we have completed the refurbishment of the hotel and all the areas which you mentioned are in full service again. Furthermore, we have checked the temperatures of the water to ensure that it is not too hot for our GUESTS. Thank you very much for bringing this to our attention.

I am very pleased to read all your positive comments regarding your stay, as well as the commendation of Lovemore. I will be sure to congratulate him on his exemplary service, as well as that of the entire TEAM.

I hope you will be coming back to the hotel soon, and get a chance to view the changes from our refurbishment, as well as enjoy the bar and restaurant as you have in your previous stay.

Montesano, WA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2012

I was so pleasantly surprised by this hotel. The grounds were quite nice. The pool area and decks overlooking the river were great. They were renovating some of the common areas when we were there, and our room had clearly been renovated. It was quite modern looking, spacious, and LOTS of lighting (which seems to be rare in hotels). The bathroom was black granite with a rain showerhead (which personally I don't care for). We had a very nice sitting area and a sliding door opening to the grounds. We loved the wooden walkways that connected the parts of the hotel. Free wifi was available in the lobby/lounge area. I would love to come back and spend more time here.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
HeatherPoulsen, Guest Relations Manager at Protea Hotel Kruger Gate, responded to this review, September 11, 2012
Dear MomandAll,

Thank you for your wonderful review regarding your stay at Protea Hotel Kruger Gate!

I am excited to hear that you enjoyed your stay, and to read all your positive comments regarding the refurbishment. I certainly hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back in the near future to see the final product, as we are now doing the finishing touches of the refurbishment.

Thank you once again for the positive feedback, it is truly invaluable.

Kind regards,
belgium
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2012

This was our fourth stay in this hotel.This year we were really dissapointed about the rooms, the service and especially the food. Since we have been coming here for the last 5 years during our Kruger holiday we can really compare things.
The hotel's environnement is truly wonderful and I had a magnificent Spa treatment! It was heaven. Unfortunately the rest of our stay was not like it used to be during the previous years. Also small attentions have dissapeared: a welcome back note in your room,Nice Little bags of Amaula pop corn...
Such a pitty, Please see to it that food and general service become as the used to be in the past. Definately not a 5 star at the moment!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2012 via mobile

we loved our stay here simply of the fact that this property s location. the watch tower proved to be quite helpful in observing wild elephants. . However being such a pricey hotel we did not expect a firty swimming pool, which seems had not been cleaned for over a month.

• Stayed May 2012

Been to Protea Hotel Kruger Gate? Share your experiences!