“Fungus room” 1 of 5 stars

310 Mckenzie Street,, Saint Lucia 3936, South Africa   |
Wijchen, The Netherlands
“Fungus room”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2013

Luckily only 1 night in the fungus room, hard beds and difficulty breathing. Dirty showers, toilets and no water at night. the place is very cheap but dirty!! The Internet facilities and the lady at the reception were pleasant, however again the place itself is even for us (students) too dirty!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Lund, Sweden
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

Went there in october 2011 (I couldn't choose that in the list, but I really wanted to write this review anyhow) with my class for one night and it was THE mest awful accommodation experience I've ever had. The owner of the place was drunk when we got there and his sons who showed us around were hungover. Another guest 15+ our age kept hitting on us and he was high as well.

The rooms had not been cleaned and the beds were dirty. We slept in our sleeping bags instead. The food that we were served tasted in the evening so bad that no one could eat it. The dogs running around were scratching themselves so often they most likely had lice. One of our teachers told us she fell asleep to the smell om marijuana.

The location of the place was the only thing that was alright except for breakfast which also was pretty good. (since it wasn't even served in the backpacking place, it was served in a near-by restaurant). And St. Lucia is a nice little town, lots of friendly people. Nice beach, and I can recommend the hippotour in the wetland park.

I'd never recommend anyone to stay at this place. We had been living in the bush in tents the week before - but this place was even dirtier than that.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
Johannesburg, Gauteng, South Africa
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

We ended up at Bib's after a very long off-road trip, and I must say, I was very pleased with the place and the company I found there.

There is a free pool table, and also foozeball. The staff were helpful and the facilities were clean.
Also, one cannot fault the pool.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Giv'atayim, Israel
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2012 via mobile

We cane to this place after reading good things avout it on the lonley planet, however the place was pretty empty, the rooms were smelly, the kitchen was dirty and the whole experience was terrible. I guess there are much better places to stay in st. Lucia.

• Stayed September 2012
Cato Ridge, KwaZulu-Natal, South Africa
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2012

I've been traveling in South Africa for ten months and this is the only place I've packed up after one night (of what was supposed to be three nights) and moved to another place. We normally stay at another budget self-catering unit in St. Lucia but decided to try Bibs. It was a very bad experience. The beds were hard and thin and the room smelled of mold and dust. My allergies were affected by just sitting in the room. I was never able to buy a drink at the bar because the bartender was never around, that would have at least made it bearable.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Los Angeles, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2012

Husband and I spent one night here and that was more than enough. This is the lowest rating I have ever given to an accommodation (or anything else?) on Trip Advisor, so keep in mind I am not one who typically gives bad reviews/ratings. I won't whine about anything at Bibs, as there's really not much to complain about. It was just really pretty dumpy. One of the lamer (lamest?) backpackers we've ever stayed in (and we've backpacked in Peru, Thailand, Swaziland and more, so we have quite a few other places to which we can compare).

On the far end of the "main drag" in St. Lucia, so not even conveniently located either. Service was meh.

I guess we slept okay, but who knows if it was b/c we had a really long day filled w/ activities...

Okay, no more complaining. Just know that I'm certain you can find another backpackers at maybe a slightly higher price that you will find considerably better.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Meerensee, South Africa
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2012

Let me just explain the word “typical”:
Everyone that has been backpacking in the modern times know that backpacking is certainly not what it used to be. The standards have gone up, grading is introduced etc… BiB’s has got that old backpacking thing about it… not in a good way, but more of that what your mother’s perception is of backpacking. Cleanliness and tidiness is not what their going for. But party enough and you wouldn’t have a worry in the world.

I’m over this type of backpacking but BiB’s certainly has a market. Their biggest advantage is lack of competition in the area. Unfortunately, in my opinion, BiB’s is falling behind in the current quality upswing of backpacking.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends

Been to St Lucia Bibs International Backpackers? Share your experiences!