“Great stay” 4 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
“Great stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2012

The dorm room was fantastic, with our own kitchen, bathroom and private deck with a lookout over the park. The staff was very helpful. The bar was well stocked and the food was great, both dinner and breakfast. Dave drove me to the orphanage that they support. That was a wonderful experience and definitely worth seeing if you're there. He was also very attentive to other guests and drove them to town for example. He even drove us all the way to Johannesburg to our next backpackers.

Room Tip: The dorm room in the back has an amazing view.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled solo
krugerandmore, Owner at Old Vic Traveller's Inn, responded to this review, March 9, 2012
Thanks for staying with us and hope you enjoyed the rest of your travels.Thanks Dave

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Dallas, TX
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2012

We were a group of 44 and Dave and Bella bent over backwards for us. They made sure we were always comfortable, gave us rides places cheaper than the taxis, and were always at the ready to help us with whatever we needed. The accommodations were fantastic with a bar on the premiss, a pool, and great hiking trails right behind the lodge. I would definitely recommend staying there if you go to Nelspruit!

Room Tip: Ask for one of the chattels.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
Thanks for staying with us and hope you enjoyed our country,Thanks Dave
Nelspruit, South Africa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2012

Very pleasant stay. Staff were friendly, helpful and obliging. Owners were happy to store several of our large suitcases and boxes for us for a few days while we traveled in Mozambique, which was very useful.

Rooms were clean, nicely decorated and homely feel. Only negative was the rowdy family staying in the house next door, so not the best sleep. Also, our room lacked air-conditioning or a fan -- not ideal in the Lowveld Summer months. I would recommend that the owners buy bedside or ceiling fans, which would make the heat more bearable...

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
Thanks for taking time to write on Trip Advisor,thanks Dave
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2011

You got what you paid for. Room was quite dark, walls were very thin, but the owner was friendly and helpful.

Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2011

Only stayed a night. Room and most of all bed was awesome! must say the female owner eas everything but friendly!!!

• Stayed November 2011
Istanbul, Turkey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2011

I spend two days going around the Kruger Park with Dave as driver and guide and my seven year old daughter as my companion. We couldn't have had a better trip. Dave went out of his way to accommodate us and to shape the itinerary to make sure that particularly my daughter was happy - and she was. The tour went well beyond our expectations.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
krugerandmore, Owner at Old Vic Traveller's Inn, responded to this review, October 21, 2011
Thank you I had a great time with the two of you,so thanks to you I had as much fun as you did.Thanks Dave
Frankfurt, Germany
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2011

Spent one night there, meeting friends.

Dave picked me up from the bus (for a fee) and told me all about his Kruger tours. After he realised that I wouldn't be booking one, the service just vanished. He was going on about how they "upgraded" my room, which was a triple dorm to a single room. Well, there wasn't a single other person staying at the place, so I wondered what they normally do: drag people in from the street to create random dorms?!

He seemed to be slightly drunk at the time of pick-up, his staff was a bit detached (I met somebody who smiles the next day, which was a nice change and brought my service rating up to two points) and the next day Dave didn't even say good morning.

The place is also in the middle of nowhere if you don't get picked up by a tour guide and conveniently driven to wherever you want to go. It felt a bit lonely there as well, I saw one other traveller before I left, but she disappeared and was never seen again.

Probably a nice enough place when booking tours/travelling with own transport, but for the "see what happens", DIY traveller not the best spot.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled solo
krugerandmore, Owner at Old Vic Traveller's Inn, responded to this review, October 11, 2011
Thanks for the review,I am the owner Dave who did pick you up.I am sorry if I came across like you state,this was never my intention.The only thing I would like to correct in your review is that I do not drink alcohol at all.
As for been far out most hostels in Nelspruit are in the suburbs 4kms from the city centre,in fact there are no backpackers in the city centre.
Hope that the rest of your time in South Africa was good.
Thanks for taking time to review us and we will work on all the points you have set.
Thanks Dave the Owner

Been to Old Vic Traveller's Inn? Share your experiences!