“Nice neighborhood place” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Funky Monkeys Backpackers & Safaris

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Nelspruit
Funky Monkeys Backpackers & Safaris
You added Funky Monkeys Backpackers & Safaris to your Saves list
102 Van Wijk Street, PO Box 19289, Nelspruit, South Africa   |
Cleveland, Ohio
“Nice neighborhood place”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013

We stayed here 2 nights. It is a taxi ride away from where the intercape bus drops you off in town, but it is well worth the trip. The dorms are clean and some even ensuite. The common area and bar can get a little noisy at night with locals that come to hang out. The communal kitchen is clean, but can get a little hectic during meal time. The staff also uses the kitchen to prepare their meals. Funky Monkey also has trips that go to Kruger Park. We stayed at their lodging which was outside of the park. The place is lovely and would be great for a big group. There were also day trips. If you have your own car I would recommend staying here, if you are on a tight budget the taxi rides to and from can get expensive. My only complaint was with the communication with the owner. I had left a very nice Northface jacket at their lodge in Kruger. They offered to mail it to me in Capetown which I thought was very nice so I did not pursue other options. Well the jacket never did make it to Ashanti Guesthouse in Capetown before I left:( One item that is not easily replaced!

Room Tip: If you need quiet to sleep try and get a room in the house.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2012

I stayed at Funky Monkeys for one night. I really enjoyed my stay. I was picked up by one of the drivers they have an arrangement with, and brought up for 60R. I hadn't realized how far away from town they were, which was the only drawback, since I didn't have a car. The staff was friendly, as were a lot of the guests. I didn't meet the Owner. The dorm room seemed nice enough. I opted for a single room at 250R ,and their internet access is a straight charge of 60R for the day. I'm not sure when they change the password, so it may not work for people who arrive really late. It's reasonably fast wifi, and since they don't charge per MB, its an advantage.

The rooms are nice and clean. The kitchen is a bit cramped if you want to cook. It's possible to walk down to jock & java's from there [about 15 minutes or less downhill] which has decent food.

If you have your own car, it makes it a bit easier to get around, otherwise you will have a lot of taxis to get.

Room Tip: You want to be away from the kitchen rooms. There are two or three singles/doubles by the kitchen...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2012

Our stay here went smoothly from beginning to end. We were picked up from the Nelspruit bus station by Jujeck and brought straight to the camp at Kruger Park. Lorna was so helpful and the staff were fantastic ... Jujeck who was always good craic and made sure that we got safely onto a bus to jo'burg when it was all over, Adrian who is a brilliant safari guide and Nonike who kept us well-fed with great food. The safari package is great value, a lovely camp with outdoor hot showers, great food and very comfortable tents and a great location. The game drives go for the whole morning and include stops for delicious food.

Funky Monkeys backpackers in Nelspruit is very comfortable and clean, great showers and nice bar. Cannot say enough about how helpful Lorna was, she knew exactly what we were up to and made sure that she did everything that she could to get us information etc. I would highly recommend the backpackers and the safari camp.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2012

My stay there was great from the pickup in town to the atmosphere around the place, which made me feel at home. There was plenty of helpful information around for the next stages of travel. I took them up on the funky safari which included some great food and a great campsite, what topped it off was al the animals we saw and the guide had a lot of info on everything we saw.
Definitely going to be recommending this place to others who are thinking of travelling there and if I get the chance again I will be back there for next time.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled solo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2012

Have been going back to funky for 10 years and am always delighted-excellent location, really clean and friendly amazing pool - i am addicted!

• Stayed May 2011
england berkshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2011

I stayed here last year whilst on a trip to SA. from the minute you walked into the place everyone was friendly and made you feel welcome.
the weather at the time was horrible so we spent the evening listening to music and watching tv and making the of the bar. We ended up having one of the best nights of the trip!!!!! good laugh.
the place is what I expected it to be, the bed was comfy, the room was clean and so was the bathroom.
the only negative i have is that someone ate my food. it is a trust situation. but you dont expect people to help themselves to your food... but that is not a fault of the place, just the people staying there.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with friends
Maputo, Mozambique
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2011

I stayed for several days in September 2011. The overall staff service was
extremely poor, with the desk staff often drunk and very grumpy with hardly
a word of help.
I had R 3000 worth of clothing stolen and when i complained and intended to
take the matter further i was dragged out by some bouncer guy directed by
the owner to " push me around a little" He beat me up and warned that i
should " not make any more trouble or else"
the incident was reported to the police and a theft case and assault
were laid against Lorna Carter and her backpackers.
There was also a complete open door policy at the backpackers that allowed
any local or outsider to frequent the bar and venue without any security in place.
The incident was also covered by the local media

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business

Been to Funky Monkeys Backpackers & Safaris? Share your experiences!