“stole our luggage” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #8 of 14 Hazyview B&B and Inns
Rotterdam, The Netherlands
“stole our luggage”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2011

We were given a smaller room then we had booked, but had to pay the full amount. When we did not want to do that, Christel, the owner, stole our luggage and did not want to give it back untill we paid the rate of the bigger room. Very very unreliable hotel.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
tatendag, Owner at Tatenda Guest House, responded to this review, May 3, 2011
Many thanks for your review and the opportunity to respond to this complaint.

We received this booking with the credit cards offered being denied. After numerous emails back and forth and details denied every time, I agreed to keep the room requested for the guest without a deposit.

As per the booking, the guest had a special request for a room with a bathtub. I took the liberty to allocate the only room with a tub to the guest. No room lesser to the other.

Upon arrival the guests were shown to the room witch they were unhappy with (the room is open-en suit because of the bath) and we offered them another room that they gladly accepted, (with of cause use of the bathtub in the other room). They also booked breakfast for the following morning and asked if they could rather settle the bill then. They would also then leave a forwarding address for their delayed luggage that was supposed to be delivered later, by the airline.

Needless to say, when we arrived to prepare breakfast the following morning @ 6am, the guests were gone and the room empty. Just a note and R550 to say that she offers me that for the accommodation. There I left it...

Much to my surprise I learned that the airline delivered their luggage at the guesthouse on Sunday afternoon. The following day I contacted the airline to collect the luggage but then decided against it and to contact the guests instead. First I inquired about their unhappiness and explained that I changed the room to offer them the bathtub as requested. I notified them that their luggage was delivered to us and politely asked her to deposit the balance of their unpaid account before I will request the airline to collect their luggage. The guest was very angry.

I received a message the following day threatening me with a bad review on the internet. I answered with the deposit details of my banking account and wished them a safe journey further. The outstanding amount was paid and the luggage collected by Air France.

I can provide you with copies of all the above correspondence.

I can not help but to think that this guest had ulterior motives from the start. We tried to accommodate them in every possible way, even giving them the use of an extra room's bathtub for their convenience and then they have to run away during the early hours of the morning to avoid payment. All our after hours' emergency contact numbers are clearly printed in the guest rooms as well as at the reception's front door. We could have been reached at any time.

As you can see from our other guest reviews, we always try to go that extra mile for all our guests. Unfortunately this situation crossed our way, but we will definitely continue giving excellent service and great hospitality to all our guests.

Sincerely

Christel Matthee
Tatenda Guesthouse

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Anchorage, Alaska
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2010

A very nice stay for those interested in exploring Kruger Nat'l Park, just a few minutes down the road. My wife and I stayed here during the 2010 World Cup and loved the location, the rooms, and the proprietors. Highly recommended!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
Rijswijk, The Netherlands
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2010

We spend our last days of our holidays at Tatenda in Hazyview. It is a good starting point for trips to Kruger Park, Blyde River Canyon and all its attractions. Christel is the best host ever. She's friendly, helpful and a very joyful person. And above all: she makes the best breakfasts ever! She made our last days in ZA unforgettable!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Tatenda Guest House? Share your experiences!