“Really nice place” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Shiluvari Lakeside Lodge

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Louis Trichardt
Shiluvari Lakeside Lodge
Save Saved
You added Shiluvari Lakeside Lodge to your Saves list
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Louis Trichardt, South Africa   |
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Louis Trichardt
Leicester, United Kingdom
“Really nice place”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2013

We stayed a Shiluvari for 3nights in May, using it as a base to explore the area and it was just what we wanted. The staff are just so helpful and willing, the location is fantastic right by the lake. There is not a great choice of food, but we had no complaints and everything we had was really delicious. Our room was under trees which made it a bit dark, but it is presumably well shaded in summer.

So, don't expect luxury, but enjoy the welcome and the hospitality of the wonderful people who are there to look after you.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Solon, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2012

We recently stayed at Shiluvari Lodge for two nights while visiting our daughter who is in the Peace Corps and assigned to a small village not far from Elim. We were very, very happy with every aspect of our stay--beautiful, comfortable rooms that overlooked the lake--a perfect setting! We chose to have dinner there each night, and we were so glad that we did because every meal was delicious. It was the perfect way to start our trip to South Africa, and I am so glad that we were able to stay there--I highly recommend it!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Cardiff, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2011

We stayed here for three days in November 2011 and really enjoyed the peacefulness of the place. Nothing was too much trouble for the staff and everything was done with a smile. A lodge with a genuine feel of Africa wich sets it apart fom most others we have visited. Would certainly saty again when next in this part of South Africa.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Johannesburg, South Africa
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2011

My Colleague and myself stayed one night at the lodge and this was enough. I stayed in room # 2 and my Colleague in # 3. The staff themselves where very friendly and efficient, however when we got to the rooms shock hit us. The fan in room number 3 is very broken, when leaving it on longer it seems like it will fall off, one of the balancing beams were taken off and the fan just went wild. Besides this the linen was absolutely disgusting. Stains all over. Inside all 4 pillows, the duvet and even on the sheet. We were told that all pillows are like this and we were given cushions for couches which where very uncomfortable. To sleep on a stained sheet is also very unhygienic. Then in room 3 it had looked like it hadn’t been cleaned for a while, i walked barefoot on the floor and my feet got so dirty. Spider webs where also all over in the room as well as leaves in the bath. This lodge obviously lacks supervision or management which is very sad as the location is beautiful and the staff is also great.

We had a very bad experience and all we wanted to do is leave this place.
I would not recommend this place at all at the state it is in now.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
Cape Town
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2011

I stayed over at Shiluvari on the 20th - just one night as it was a work trip. I could not have asked for friendlier service or asked to be made more special. The place is not five star but clean, beautifully decorated and all ones needs are met. I arrived on the day of a power failure - on arrival I asked for coffee and a snack as I was starving - I got a plunger of divine coffee and a plate of the feshest biscuits. The bedroom was filled with candles in case the lights stayed off longer tham expected. Supper....simple, wholesome and delicous. i had fillet of beef, mash and other veggies - it was prepared to perfection.

The staff are amazing - each and evry one of them! I hope to return!!!

Room Tip: Cannot remember my room no. Its the one closet to the restuarant!
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2011

Drip drip drip. The sounds of rain started almost immediately after our arrival at Shiluvari. Drip drip drip, 2 days later this was the second to last sound we heard when leaving the lodge. The last sound was that of the manager telling us she hoped to see us again. We do too!

Shiluvari is a beautiful place where art objects have been dropped all over the property. The place is located near a lake, hippos and crocs might welcome you when you get to the shore. But there is no need for that since Shiluvari has an excellent pool in which you can chill and relax (when it doesn't rain).

Dinner is included and it's a real treat. The dishes look and taste wonderful. Together with the art, scenery and nice staff, Shiluvari is a great place and wonderful start for a South Africa experience.

Tip: get the Dragonfly suite. Bathing with lakeside view!

Room Tip: Ask for the Dragonfly suite
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Kabul, Afghanistan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2011

I stayed at the lodge for 3 nights in August 2011 as a solo traveller and thought it was wonderful. And when you consider the price, even better!

Reservations – It was quite easy to make my booking over the internet using a credit card—no small feat in Southern Africa!

Lodging – I was in Room 4, which is the rondavel closest to the main building. It was a good size, even including a sitting area with views of the dam from which I enjoyed a glass of red wine each evening. The bedding was also very comfortable. While the room was a bit cold in August, the lodge manager brought me a space heater (without me even asking), and hot water bottles were provided each evening, so I was comfortable. My one complaint is that the shower pressure and temperature was only so-so.

Grounds – The lodge is set back about 2.5kms from the main road, but I made it fine in a small sedan. It is on the banks of a dam, surrounded by mountains. Beautiful!

Food – Breakfast consisted of a small spread of cheese, breads, fruit, and yogurt. Eggs and meat were made to order. I’d say breakfast was pretty standard for the area. Dinner, however, was great! I had intended to eat only 1 or 2 meals at the lodge, but it was so good that I couldn’t stay away. The first night I was served potato soup, fillet with vegetables, and sponge cake. The second night was a twice baked blue cheese, lamb chops with vegetables, and chocolate pudding. The third night was salad, chicken curry, and malva pudding. In addition to being delicious, the waitstaff was attentive and the service was quick.

Activities – The lodge arranged a guide for me for the Ribolla Arts Route. It was a totally flexible day—the guide would give me options, and I’d pick where we went (e.g., next, would you rather go see another woodcarver or visit with a shaman). Note that you will drive your own vehicle, but again, I was fine in my sedan. I highly recommend it. I also spent a day in Kruger, which was nice, but a bit longer of a drive than I had expected. It took me 2 hours from the lodge to the Punda Maria gate.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled solo

Been to Shiluvari Lakeside Lodge? Share your experiences!