“Unique place to stay and kids love it !” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Pezulu Tree House Game Lodge

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Hoedspruit
Pezulu Tree House Game Lodge
Hoedspruit 1380, South Africa   |
Delft, The Netherlands
“Unique place to stay and kids love it !”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2013

This is probably the most unique place i've stayed in. We stayed in the family tree room with a family of five (2 adults, 2 kids and 1 baby). The room layout was practical and modern. A big plus is the safe in the room. It also came with an outside shower. Basically a shower room with one wall opened up from chestheight upwards. The views from the room or the balcony are nice. The sunsets are stunning and so are the nights, you can see so many stars. We've not seen animals at our house but we did encounter zebra's and giraffe on the grounds of Pezulu. The access roads to Pezulu are very poor, they go from tarmac to 'washboards' to straight offroad. In the 'dry' winter you can probably do it with standard rental but in the wet summer i would go for a higher clearance 2x4 or even better 4x4 vehicle. At night it's difficult to navigate these roads. The closest gate to the kruger park is about 45 min away. Besides the tree houses pezulu has a central house and a bar called the waterhole. It's located on the first floor and it has a good seating area. I liked the swining chairs. A elevated walkway connects the waterhole to a viewpoint. From this viewpoint above the treeline (where you can also sit comfotably) you can see the sun go down or come up, it's a stunning view. The central facility also acts as a breakfast area. Breakfast is basic but with a good enough selection. Next to the central building it is the booma where in the evening dinner is servered around a campfire. It's a nice oppertunity to connect with the othter guests. When we were there it was a mix of French, German, Dutch and South african people. Being Dutch is regret to say that another dutch family acted quite condescending towards the staff. (but that can happen in any place). The hosts Claude and Shauwn tried hard to make everybody feel comfortable and welcome and the staff is friendly. We all liked the food at dinner and breakfast so no complaints there. Some minor things i do want to mentions. They do not have high chairs for the little people and the waterhole on the first floor does have a fence but the holes are big enough for the little kids to fall through. Also the lock on our treehouse was quite tempramental. And you need to make sure you lock (not just close - but lock) the doors when you leave otherwise the monkeys might get into your room. Overall we really liked this place and we recommend it.

Room Tip: If you travel with a bigger group you can opt for the family tree. It's two seperate houses with...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

180 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
Kriel
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2013

The Dream tree house was a wonderfull experiece. Very friendly staff, clean room and very crisp clean bedding. The food was great. I'll will advice anybody to go and see for themselfs. It is well worth money spent. We will go their anytime again. Excellent!!!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Jonestown, PA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2013

Staying overnight in a unique treehouse is a very novel experiece! Well worth it, in my view. You're not quite "roughing it" because the amenities are very nice, and the beds very comfortable.

We stayed in Mountain view, the highest of the treehouses. Fantastic! You're in a game reserve, so there are animals all around - nothing that dangerous, of course. This is not a big 5 reserve.

PROS
1. Fantastic experience - living in a tree! How can you top that for uniqueness?!!
2. Everything is privided. Fully self-contained, plenty of hot water for showers, lovely porches for sitting and looking over the veld....
3. Breakfast and dinner are included over at the main lodge building. Plenty of food. Dinner is served in a "boma" area around a large fire. The main course is buffet style.
4. Animals can come right up to your treehouse and eat from the vegetation right there. We had a herd of 7 giraffe eating from the trees all around our unit in the morning. We sat on our balcony/porch and enjoyed th sight while having our coffee.
5. We had our first experience showering outside under the stars - and up in a tree! How cool! I had noticed an earlier review where someone actually complained about monkeys in the tree while they were showering. This is Africa!! It's a game reserve!! What would you expect?! Send the monkeys over to me!! I'd be happy to have them in my tree while I'm there - yes, even while I'm showering!

From our unit, we also saw a genet that came right up onto our porch, warthogs, zebra, grey duiker and bushbuck.

CONS
1. Beware the road that takes you to the reserve! I've travelled many thousands of miles of dirt roads in Africa, but this one had the worst washboarding I'd ever seen. Not bad for rocks or ruts - justc terrible washboarding. Too bad they couldn't finish tarring it to the reserve.
2. Staying in a real tree is novel, but watch your head! We all came away with bumps on our heads from hitting various branches in the rooms. VERY COOL idea and experiece - just be aware of the branches.
3. The breakfast area is not very imaginitive. The food is great, but given th embience of the tree houses, I would have thought that the breakfast area would have refelcted more of a safari theme. We noticed that the gift shop was closed due to construction, so perhaps the rest of the area might be undergoing a change as well?
4. Beware the ramps if there's dew on them! They're very slippery!

In any event... in my view, this experience is a must! It's NOT a Hampton Inn by any stretch. But then, I wasn't expecting that, either. Let my photos tell you a bit more....

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Denia, Spain
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2013

We stayed here for four nights and apart from our tree house being on two levels and the roof being a bit low for us , the experience was enjoyable with cleanliness being good and bedding was crisp and comfortable.Food was good too and the staff pleasant and helpful.The star of our visit was Ronnie who, apart from being our meeter and greeter, seemed to do everything for us from bar tender, information oracle and even serving us at dinner, then sorting us out at the bar again later in the evening.He is a real treasure and long may he be there.
A worthwhile and different experience , thank you all.
Daphne and Bob Spain.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Denia, Spain
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2013

6 of us stayed 4 nights, me and my new wife stayed in the dream house. our stay was excellent, good food, the dream house was to die for, we often woke up to see giraffes on the grass in front of our lodge. The barkeeper Ronnie was a great guy, he was that good to us i ended up giving him my wedding shoes. he could not have been more helpful, he even made us a fire on a evening in the bar as it was chilly. the only downside to the lodge is the horrific road that you have to travel down to get there, but that didnt ruin anything for the 6 of us. great place and Ronnie is the star !!!!!!!!!!!

Room Tip: dream house
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Ottawa, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2013

We stayed at Pezulu Lodge for a week in April 2013. We had a wonderful experience there. The staff were very kind and courteous. We had a “traditional” African boma dinner every night. The food was very delicious. The tree house itself was quite an experience. Although we did not expect to go to a washroom that was on a different level with a very open concept, the experience was very unique and worthwhile. We had Bushbabies in the ceiling in the balcony for most of the nights and a surprizing lizard was found in our sink one morning. We really felt that we were part of the African wild.

Room Tip: Ask for a new tree house, the walk is worth it.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Pretoria, South Africa
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2013

We booked a last minute weekend getaway for the family over the long Easter weekend. The lodge itself was great and the kids loved it. The food was nice too. Unfortunately, the first night of our stay, our treehouse was broken into and EVERYTHING was stolen out of the room while we were all at the "boma" for dinner. Everyone goes to dinner at the same time. When I say they stole everything, I mean everything, not just the kids ipods, brand new kindle and our lap top, but they also took our suitcases full of clothes and a cooler with water and my insulin, as well as passports. Immediately, we informed the manager who I would say was not very helpful. Admittedly, we were very upset and angry and said a few things we now regret, but it was clear that the manager took immediately took the "blame the victim" approach and tried to say that we didnt lock the room, which we definitely did. When my husband asked about security, The manager stated "this is Africa". Which I find completely unacceptable. We have lived in Africa for over 20 years and this was the first time we were wiped out of everything. The manager contacted other lodges in the area who offered to help look for the perpretrators who couldnt have gone far, but each time he declined, saying "we must wait for the authorities." To his credit, he did contact the anti rhino poaching unit who said they would look out for them. The anti rhino poaching unit also mentioned a gate into the game reserve that is "never" locked. Now, I do understand that this may have been a one off event but I want to stress to other travellers in South Africa, do not feel that the crime won't happen in areas outside of the main cities. Furthermore, I had to request the lodge to consider reimbursing us for our stay. The manager finally agreed after I asked and only for 50% but I feel that as a manager of resort type place, he should have been more proactive in assisting us and also trying to compensate us for what happened. I know that they were not responsible and legally probably did not owe us anything, but if they had been service oriented they would have done so without us having to ask. If this unfortunate event had not happened, I probably would have been raving about this place. Also want to be fair and add that when our passports and a few items of clothing turned up after we left, the lodge did send them back to us.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
ClaudeHoedspruit, Owner at Pezulu Tree House Game Lodge, responded to this review, April 30, 2013
First of all we are very sorry for that incident. Unfortunately robberies and break-ins are a worldwide disease and it will not stop as the split between poor and rich is growing constantly. There is much more crime in the big cities of this country than in our area (we live in one of the safest provinces) but unfortunately it’s nowhere in this world 100 % safe anymore and crimes happen everywhere.
Safety of our guests is very important to us. Our guests have to pass 2 control gates to get to our reserve which is fenced. The burglars must have cut the fence or crawled under it. There are safes, free of charge, in all the tree houses and all tree houses can be locked with keys.
We do not want to start again the discussion about locking the door but we feel that we get blamed for an incident that could have been avoided. There was no sign of any broken window or damaged door. The evening of the incident, the guests stated that on their return after dinner, one door was closed but not locked while the other door was open and the key was on the door. The next day the guests told the local police authorities that maybe they lost the key or it fell out of the handbag on the way to the boma for dinner.
We noticed that one daughter left the table between starter and main course to go back to the tree house and returned a bit later. She could have left the key on the door.
There was no robbery in any other tree house that night and we were fully booked.
We tried to cool down the situation and started immediately to contact the neighbouring lodges (it is not true that they offered us their help which we declined like stated in this review), the police and a spoor trekking company. Our ranger even slept in the car next to their tree house for the rest of the night.
The next morning, when I came back from a bush walk and entered the office, the guests asked me immediately about any news. They also asked for a sort of financial compensation. I offered the whole family the second night free of charge which they agreed to.
I then started on my own searching the bush with one of our trackers for a few hours and we found spoors coming and leading to a fence bordering to a neighbouring reserve. Later we showed these tracks to the police and they took all the necessary fingerprints.
The guests even stated in our guest book that everything would have been perfect if their belongings didn’t get stolen but thanked us for all the support. Even in an e-mail one week later when we informed them that a few items were found, they responded: “Thank you very much again for your support during this terrible incident.”
I did my best to handle this unusual incident, I’m sorry if the guests didn’t have that impression. We are very disappointed that we get now accused in this review of not being service oriented. We feel that it is unfair to get blamed for this robbery and to write a bad review about our lodge because this harms our good reputation. We have built one of the most unique lodges of South Africa, a lot of guests even tell us after their return that our lodge was the highlight of their trip. This is the first review that this guest wrote; would they have written a good review about our beautiful lodge without this incident? 95 % of our guests are happy but unfortunately the 5% who find something to complain tend more to write a review…
Once again we are very sorry about these unfortunate circumstances.
We would however like to thank the guests about their positive comment about the good food and our beautiful lodge.
Claude,Pezulu Tree House Lodge

Been to Pezulu Tree House Game Lodge? Share your experiences!