“Paradise in Paradise” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Blyde River Canyon Lodge

You added Blyde River Canyon Lodge to your Saves list
Blyde River Canyon Lodge
4.0 of 5 Lodge   |   Swadini Road | Blyde River Botanical Reserve, Hoedspruit 1380, South Africa   |
Certificate of Excellence 2014
San Francisco, California
“Paradise in Paradise”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2014

I stayed here for 6 nights and wish it could have been longer. How often do you have zebras grazing on the lawn while you're eating breakfast? View a magical mountain from the patio? Take walks in a nature preserve? The grounds, room, food, and staff were all outstanding.

The downside: the pool is more for wading than swimming. If you want a nightlife, this wouldn't be your place.

Room Tip: Enjoyed the upper floor of the cottage.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2014

We stayed at Blyde on the first night leaving Johannesburg to being our adventure in the Kruger area. It was magical for me. We stayed with our friends in the luxury cottage, which was a little pricey, but everything that I wanted. The top room in this cottage is amazing. It has a little patio that overlooks a field and a lovely bathtub that overlooks the pool, lounge area. Our first night, we had a very late check in (around 10:30 / 11), and Portia and a staff member were kind enough to arrange for this late check in and to wait around for us. I could not sleep all night due to excitement (not because of the room). I could hear animals at various points of the night, and when I got up early in the morning, I woke up to wildebeests and zebra grazing in the field. I then took a bath with the zebras right outside of the window. They were probably 10 feet away, if even. It was amazing!
The breakfasts were delicious, and you can order a hot one each morning. Dinner is not included, but it was really yummy as well. The Lodge is quite far from other restaurants; so I would suggest eating at the Lodge.
It is in a good location for doing the Panoramic Route, which we did. We went from here to Kapama, which is close by as well.
We had a wonderful experience, and I would recommend it to everyone. There's nothing quite like it.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Southport, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2014

First stop on this year's SA travels. I found this on the internet as we were looking for somewhere to stay on the Panoramic Route. I just wish i'd booked to stay longer. Booked through Agoda and the only room left was the cottage in the grounds, which was the same price on Agoda website as the other rooms would have been. Flew into Mpumalanga, and drove up there hoping to get there before dark. Alas, plans scuppered by hire car company not having the car ready on time so we arrived in the pitch dark. It was fairly easy to find, and after signing in at the gate, we drove down to the property. What a welcome! they showed us to our room, which is a two storey cottage in the grounds. Large sitting/dining/kitchen area, with utility and second bedroom/shower. Precarious stairs winding round a quirky tree up to the first floor bedroom and sunken bath room. It was really different. The room was just a little dated but we didn't care, we were in SA. Over at the main lodge we were cooked a delicious meal, and all of the staff were really helpful and so friendly. I'd really wanted to see the zebras, and a bit more of the property but it was so late and dark by the time we arrived that we only managed to catch a glimpse of them grazing on the grass next to our cottage in the dead of night. Still, i'd seen them so happy me! Had a really comfortable nights sleep, and a great breakfast in the morning, a good look round this fabulous lodge, then unfortunately time to leave. I just wish that we had booked to stay a couple more nights, as this would have been a brilliant base for exploring the area which has some stunning scenery. But! this just means we have to go back! I'd definitely recommend this place. It's not a plush 5* hotel, far from it. It's homely, clean, welcoming, reasonably priced and I loved it!

Room Tip: If you can get the cottage in the grounds at a reasonable price, go for it. Plenty of space and pri...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Paris, France
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2014

Room is nice, authentic, and the garden has nice views looking up at the canyon.
Dinner (not included) was tasty.
Location is far from the scenic route at the top of the canyon (1h drive at least to see the 3 Rondavels).
Among the 8 B&B or lodges where we stayed in South Africa, this one was the last in terms of value for money. Plus they ask for an extra fee for internet connection, which is quite mean given the price you already pat for the room.
Owner does not really care about guests: even though we stayed 2 nights and lodge had only 4 rooms booked, didn't know our name or the room we were staying in. Could not recommend any walks (which we found afterwards as being very famous) on top of the canyon.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Blyde, Owner at Blyde River Canyon Lodge, responded to this review, May 7, 2014
Dear Greg H450

Thank you for taking the time to review Blyde River Canyon Lodge.

We are happy that you enjoyed your stay at the lodge and had nice meals.

We are sorry about the internet and as discussed we did not charge you. The canyon is over 150 kilometres long and we are situated on the Panorama route next to the dam in the middle of the canyon. We did discuss various walking trails available in our section of the canyon which range from the Hippo Trail with is 10 km long to the Waterfall Trail which is about 2.1km. Your partner said she was not interested in the trails I recommended and wanted to walk the Leopard Trail. I did say that I had not heard of that particular trail but have subsequently found out it leaves from private property on the top of the canyon.

I do care very much about every guest that visits us. We had 10 guests on both of the nights you we here and I do my best to meet and interact with as many guests as I can. Unfortunately I was not at the lodge when you checked in but you were welcomed by Thoko, Maria.

We appreciate your feedback and always would like to know how to improve our service and value.

Kind Regards

Vicky Mittan
Owner of Blyde River Canyon Lodge
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2014

We stayed at Blyde River Canyon Lodge for three nights, using it as a base from which to explore the canyon. Absolutely superb staff and service. Relaxed and friendly atmosphere. Will certainly be returning! Thank you.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
Inverness, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2014

We stayed here for one night on our way to Kruger.This was our third visit as we have always found it very comfortable,the food good,especially breakfasts and the staff very pleasant.Above all it feels like an oasis after the drive from Joburg and it is very pleasant to be able to stretch our legs walking round the reserve especially with the chance of spotting some of the various types of game which live in the reserve.Being joined for breakfast by a group of zebra is always special

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2014

We stayed 2 nights with family and we all agreed we could have stayed longer. The room, gardens, beautiful old trees, excellent staff (especially Portia) and view of the mountains made for a very relaxing time. Everyone in our group felt totally at peace and relaxed. The meals where some of the best I've had while travelling around South Africa. The highlight for me was having my morning coffee with the zebras by the pool and watching the monkey's play in the trees during breakfast.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends

Been to Blyde River Canyon Lodge? Share your experiences!