“A memorable honeymoon” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Thornhill Safari Lodge

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Hoedspruit
Thornhill Safari Lodge
You added Thornhill Safari Lodge to your Saves list
Portion 144 of the Farm Guernsey 81 KU | Guernsey Private Nature Reserve, Hoedspruit, South Africa   |
Mauritius
“A memorable honeymoon”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2009

We are just back from a memorable honeymoon at the Thornhill Safari Lodge- We booked through Themba Safari and the trip turned out to be simply fabulous. We had booked a 5 day safari and panorama route and arrived at Joburg on the eve- The next day right on the dot at 07:00 am, our guide. Sipho was waiting for us at our hotel - From there he took us through the spectacular and breathtaking panorama route at the Blyde Canyon, the 3 Rondawels, the Berlin Waterfall, without forgetting God's Window and stopping over at the Pilgrim's rest for a few pictures and to buy some curios!
When we arrived at the lodge, we were met and greeted by Chris, the Lodge Manager and immediately taken to our room (No 10) which was so well turned out, very comfortable and spacious... Dinner was served on that night in a boma style around a camp fire and the food simply excellent...Next day, a wake up at 04:00 and we were off to the Kruger National Park for a full day safari-trying to spot the Big Five and the other animals.
On the 3rd day, we went to the Moholoholo rehabilitation centre which raised our awareness on the destructive combined effect that global warming, farming , urban development are having on the wildlife- we visited animals that had been affected ...an emotional experience indeed...In the evening we went on a Game Drive at the Thornybush Private Game Reserve and there we came across 3 of the Big Five at very close quarters...Lion, Buffalos, Elephants....we did see Rhinos but not the black ones... The Leopard too evaded us...may be for next time...

We decided to skip the 2nd full day kruger safari tour and instead stayed at the lodge, waking up a bit late...wondering if we had missed breakfast...much to our surprise as soon as we walked into the dining area, a plate of English breakfast was placed in front of each of us...all served with a smile by cheerful and understanding staff! We loved it!! They even arranged for a second afternoon drive at the Thorny Bush for us and we had a sundowner by a water hole with 3 white rhinos in the background...simply amazing!
On the last day, Abel, our guide from the lodge took us for a walk in the forest, we followed the tracks, looked at the dungs, checked out the trees, the various insects on the way and suddenly...there appeared in front of us 6 lovely giraffes in an surreal panorama....munching the leaves of an accacia plant....magestic and graceful! WOW!
Another go at the delicious breakfast....and we were now on the van for a trip to Johannesburg with our wonderful driver, Gordon who was so friendly and kind yet very professional and safe driver

The lodge is run in a most professional way by friendly and caring staff members who are always willing to run the extra mile to delight the guests.The meal times are announced at the sound of a tam tam and taken together with the other guests of the lodge as well as the staff, creating a very family like atmosphere where everyone shares his/her own experience of the day and discusses his/her own discoveries.... At dinner time, the cheerful chef presents her menu and shows us the way...while a baby warthog roams around....

A trip we shall forever remember....we loved it all

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2009

I stayed at this lodge for 3 nights in October of '09. I had arranged a tour package with Intrepid Bundu and I was really impressed with the whole thing. I didn't really know what I was going to get as the price was on the lower end but I was very very pleased.
The lodge was beautiful and the staff went out of their way to make sure everyone was enjoying themselves. One of them even carried away a bullfrog so I could sleep easier at night...I was travelling solo and was a bit worried that I'd be trapped at a place with families and honeymooners but this place was actually a really big mix.
I loved the food- meals were delicious and also served in beautiful settings.
The pool was a relief for the hot weather, the bar was fairly priced and the decor in the rooms was beautiful.
I did three game drives while I was there and saw everything except a leopard (times at least two). I didn't so much like the wildlife relief centre (and I was surprised that it was an added cost on my bill not included like the other activities). The camp is in the middle of a private reserve and amid our cabins I saw zebras, buffalo and an ostriche.
I would recommend this place to anyone because I had a great time!

• Stayed October 2009, traveled solo
izeult
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2008

I'm just back from spending a fantastic couple of days and nights at Thornhill. I'm going to attempt to do this place justice! It was just brilliant, I'd never been on safari before so I didn't know what I should be expecting but from the moment we arrived at the lodge I was delighted.

From being met by a member of staff with cold drinks as we were falling out of our bus all th way through to when we checked out, I can't praise this place enough. The staff were friendly - indeed happy to sit down with you at any time for a chat and answer what ever questions you might have, the guides were knowledgeable, the food was just out of this world, the faciliaties from the bar to the pool and the en suite rooms were just outstanding. Accomodation was neat and clean and ensuite.

The lodge itself is part of the larger Gurnsey area, there's plenty of game wandering around - indeed while sitting outside it's very likely you'll see giraffes wandering around as well as zebras and smaller game.

I would recommend 100%

• Stayed September 2008, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Thornhill Safari Lodge? Share your experiences!