“This is no Five Star Hotel” 3 of 5 stars

5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Rey's Place | Balito, Ballito 4420, South Africa   |
Ranked #4 of 9 Hotels in Ballito
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Johannesburg, South Africa
“This is no Five Star Hotel”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2012

My wife and I spent an evening at the Hotel Izulu recently, to celebrate our third wedding anniversary. We have both been fortunate to travel extensively, and have stayed in 5 Star Hotels before, so we had a very clear idea in our minds of what our experience would be like. And based on the price we were paying, the hotel was certainly charging 5 Star Hotel prices... There were a number of issues with our stay, but two things that I feel are unforgivable (and not what anyone would expect from a 5 Star Hotel) was the fact that the towel given to my wife after a session in the Spa had a huge hole in it (mine was also frayed on the edges). The second issue was the fact there was not a steak knife available (for the steak that I had ordered for dinner). When I challenged the manager on this, her response was "I know, you are not the only person to complain about the fact that we don't have steak knives, but we are working on it". This hotel has fantastic potential, but I'm afraid that it is at very best an average 3 Star at the moment - but charging 5 Star prices for this average experience. I would not recommend this hotel to any of my family, friends or colleagues, and I will never stay there again. A pity, it put a real damper on what should have been a great night away as part of our celebration.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Polokwane, South Africa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2012

the hotel rooms are very spacious, huge bathrooms and modern furnishings. the garden is so beautiful and just relaxing by the poolside is so calming.

best spa in south africa for me, the staff friendly and very professional.

great location, close to airport and umhlanga.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
Northampton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2012

I doubt my picture will appear on the wall in Hotel Izulu with Elton John & Sean Pollock!? However I really enjoyed my stop over and thought it was actually too nice a place to use as stop over. My oversized room and extra oversized bathroom were a real luxury. One thing I noticed which I hadn't seen anywhere else was an English 3 pin plug socket. The food in Gigi's was lovely, I had a job choosing but opted for Punjabi spiced fish, chips and sambals. The team of staff were very welcoming and all seemed to have a permanent smile. The hotel, with its pool, tropical garden complete with palm trees and hammocks is ideal for arriving and leaving KZN. It also would make a great place for exploring the northern beaches & Durban

• Stayed February 2012, traveled solo
Reading, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2012

Stayed 3 nights here for a wedding. The ffirst impression when you drive up the unkempt drive is not good. There was nobody on reception also not good! The room was lovely and spacious as was the bathroom. We had trouble with the safe and in the end had to have the keys from reception to open it! The jacuzzi at the end of the corridor was filthy and the pool also needed a good clean. The gardens had been let go somewhat. Breakfasts were good with lots of choice. There were quite a lot of wedding guests staying so the staff (or lack of!!) found it hard to cope with lunch and drinks orders. But I must say the wedding reception itself was fantastic. The large rondarval in the grounds with a private courtyard was just perfect for a wedding. The food was good and there were plenty of staff. The air conditioning in the bridal suite (where the bride and bridesmaids got ready) broke down (35o+) but they did provide a portable unit. We stayed in other hotels on our 3 week holiday which were far superior to Izulu. It is definately NOT 5* and needs a review!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Durban, South Africa
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2011

Had we expected to walk into a 3 Star hotel this would have been perfect but unfortunately the first thing we noticed upon walking to our Deluxe suite was that the wooden sliding doors to the suite were rotten all along the bottom rail and falling to pieces - not a good first impression. Upon staying in the room I was swamped with little fruit flies and bugs and was being being bitten by something I couldn't see. I later found a full drawer full of old fruit, empty sweet wrappers and dirt from the guests before not sure how old it was but must have started rotting already as it smelt and the bugs were all around. The shower door was coming apart, one tissue in the tissue box, torn brochures and the jacuzzi was filthy in plain view for people to see. Needless to say I then started to wonder if the bedding had even been changed. I complained to the GM who sent in a lady at 20h35 to clean the suite and change the bedding. Unfortunately the damage is done and it will be the last time my husband and I stay here especially at the exorbitant price they charge for the 5 star experience. A terrible let down and we really don't feel that this hotel should be able to rate themselves as a 5 star hotel. When you travel and stay in 5 star accommodation around the world you know what to expect and this is most certainly not it. Maintenance and general attention to detail is definitely needed. The only good thing is the staff were friendly and accommodating and the food was great.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Yorkshire
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2011

After staying in some really nice 3 and 4 star hotels in South Africa, we were looking forward to a luxurious final 2 nights for our final 'chill' in this 5 star hotel. We did not receive a warm welcome, in fact we felt like they didn't want us to be there, and this tended to influence us to notice all the small things which were wrong which probably we wouldn't otherwised have noticed . The evening meal was just ok, and the breakfast was poor (hard boiled eggs when asked for soft, and ran out of orange juice). To be fair when they asked our views and we said there were a few things we had not been happy with, the hotel director came to chat to us, and invited us to be their guest at the chef's table in the kitchen that evening. We were treated to a 7 course taster menu which was very nice (although the beef wellington was overcooked). Our opinion improved thereafter as all the staff seemed to make more of an effort to be helpful. It's nice for a hotel to accept criticism and try to put things right.
The location is not ideal as it is not possible to walk into Balito to eat/drink. you would need to drive or arrange taxi transfers.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
london
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2011

Stayed here after getting stuck in Ballito for the night. It was a lucky find as its a small friendly boutique style hotel. Not cheap by SA standards but food was pretty good, staff attentive and my room really was very good, huge bathroom and comfy, large bed. I'd stay again if in the area.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled solo

Been to Hotel Izulu? Share your experiences!