“Total mountain splendour!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Khotso Adventure Farm

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Underberg
Khotso Adventure Farm
You added Khotso Adventure Farm to your Saves list
Drakensberg Gardens Road, Underberg 3257, South Africa   |
“Total mountain splendour!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2013

Was back at this legendary spot again in July with the family and loved it even more then the previous time. Whether you are a family or an individual backpacker there is tons here for you. Steve and Lulu and the crew offer hospitality second to none. It is an incredible mountain setting with a variety of great accommodation options. You get the feel of being part of the wild west here. If you haven't been here you gotta visit!

Room Tip: The rondavel's are perfect for a family. Plenty of privacy yet you are still part of the vibe.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Francis M, Public Relations Manager at Khotso Adventure Farm, responded to this review, October 19, 2013
Thank you very much for your positive feedback Patrick. Looking forward to seeing you again :)

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Groningen, The Netherlands
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2013 via mobile

We drove to Khotso farm for the 3 hours horsedriving trip. We we really exited to go horseriding again because we both have done it in the past. The guy who 'welcomed' us was not really nice, the only thing he said, you can go to the horses now. Eventhough I had to go to the toilet.

Our guide during the trip was really nice though! I had a great horse and i really loved the hill. It was more hill-like than mountain-like. But it was beautiful!

After we came back at the farm, the guy ( I think the owner) asked, before he askd how it was, ok can you pay now? He didn't even ask how it was.

So I wouldn't recomment it unless the would try to be a bit more kind.

• Stayed August 2013
Francis M, Owner at Khotso Adventure Farm, responded to this review, October 2, 2013
Hello Fitah, I'm very sorry hear about your experience. Interaction like that would also leave a terrible taste in my mouth. Fortunately the owner couldn't have been involved as he was away - I say fortunately becasue if it was the owner it would be much harder to sort the problem out. For that I must thank you for the feedback.
As far as mountains and hills are concerned: I agree, compared to the mountains we go into when riding into Lesotho, the ones at base camp do seem a hilly. Which is why I would recommend a two day Lesotho trip for you - for us to redeem ourselves and to say sorry.
Durban, South Africa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013

We spent 3 great nights here in this beautiful place. It's a little rustic but it makes for an ideal getaway from the city. Pack your mountain bike. There is some fantastic cycling to be had around here.

Room Tip: The loft has wooden floors which make a lot of noise for the bedroom below. Take your own heater in...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

A rustic place, beautifully situated in the Drakensberg mountains. I only spent a night here, so I couldn't enjoy the horse trails offered. The evening was very enjoyable sitting at a roaring fire with a cold drink in hand.
The place was very clean, the staff very friendly (I hope you found your way to Lesotho easily, Steve!) and the food was delicious. I should also mention that there is a natural spring nearby and that water is bottled on location and is very good!
I would definitely recommend this place!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Johannesburg, South Africa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2013

Traveling by car back to JHB, this was a one night stop on our journey, recommended by a friend.

We arrived just in time for a short evening walk around the estate, before enjoying home made supper, superb after a long day's driving. We met the owner and the staff and had a lovely evening chatting by the fire. The bar works on an honesty system, which is a refreshing approach, and perfect given the surroundings.

In the morning we got to see the sheep dogs do their bit to get the flock moving for the day, something of a novelty for someone unfamiliar with farms.

Spring water is tapped and bottled on location, a case of which made it's way home with me.

Our stay was simply too short to experience everything on offer. We will be back!
We stayed in the dorm, which was clean and freshly made up.

Room Tip: The dorms are clean and comfortable.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Bangkok, Thailand
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2013

stayed there beginning of 2012. This did not feel like a guesthouse to me. It felt like they had some extra room and decided to make an extra buck on the side. They run a horse farm, so it's an easy extra to have pony-tours in the mountains. Nothing wrong with that of course, but it all was too hippie-commune-minded for me. Every wall in the house, including the bathroom (which was not very clean) was covered with dreamy hippie wisdoms, I wish I took pics of them... the hippie-guitar playing in the evening also was not necessary for me.
Food was being cooked for the residents and the people working with the horses and you could join them for dinner in the evening. That was it. Also nothing really wrong with that, but when we arrived there was a fat, hairy cat sitting on the kitchen counter, next to the food. the kitchen door was some sort of double-flapped stable door, and a horse was sticking it's head in the kitchen. Sorry but this is not clean. The cat was posted near the kitchen a lot, and when she wanted to be fed, she just clawed whoever was passing her.
The dorm was cheap but the beds were creaky and the whole room was moist..
too bad it rained very hard so all our clothes were soaked. this is not the fault of the owners, but they should be more prepared for this, its near the Drakensbergen, it rains a lot of times there. There was no proper way of drying our clothes. We left that place after 2 nights with a backpack full of wet clothes. They should at least prepare for stuff like this. Again this made the impression that they just put some extra beds in a room and pretend to be a place where people could stay. If the weather was good, we probably would have spent a lot more time outdoors, our clothes would not have been wet, and a lot of shortcomings would not have been so clear. But I would not stay there again, even if it was for free.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
Glasgow
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2013

I have visited Drakensberg for a weekend in early spring and it was absolutely breathtaking.I booked a tour- first day drive up to Lesotho and on the second day horseriding in Drakensberg an a walk to bushman painting. We were accommodated in Khotso with an option to stay either in backpackers or a private cottage. Eventually I opted for backapackers as it was nearly empty and I could have a room to myself .I also never regretted- the place has got a fanstic friendly atmosphere. The staff made me feel like I was among friends- mostly young people that came to work with horses in South Africa from overseas and the friend of the family who popped in for dinner. We sat in the common area by the fireplace, sipping wine and everyone had some stories to say, mostly from their travels around Africa. I really enjoyed it! In the morning I got to interact with the horses just before our horseback trek and thats was another fabulous experience!
Homemade dinner and breakfast also recommended.

This is of course not a place for the people searching for the comforts of the western world (don't expect a telly!) It's just you, the stunning views of the wilderness around, warm people and the sense of adventure.

Would come back anytime!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo

Been to Khotso Adventure Farm? Share your experiences!