“Umbrella tree” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Umbrella Tree House

You added Umbrella Tree House to your Saves list
Umbrella Tree House
3.0 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   37 Hilken Drive, Umhlanga Rocks 4320, South Africa   |
Ranked #10 of 41 Umhlanga Rocks B&B and Inns
Certificate of Excellence 2014
wimborne dorset UK
“Umbrella tree”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2014

Very pleasant room with a small kitchen attached which we didn't expect to have . Close to the village and the sea, so good for restaurants and being able to walk the beach. Breakfast was good ,with nice fruit and then a cooked breakfast should you want . Lesley and Neil were great hosts, and good to talk to, and offer recommendations on where to eat etc,

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple

LesPats, Owner at Umbrella Tree House, responded to this review, March 12, 2014
Thanks Joy for your lovely review. I really enjoyed having you and John stay here. Loved the chats and I really do hope we see you again one day.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
  • Turkish first
Stockholm, Sweden
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2014

This is the only B & B I've returned to, despite there being several others at pretty much the same location. The main reason - the hostess. Ever so helpful, ever so easy to chat to. Great.

On the practical side of things, it does have walking distance to shops, reasturants and beach, the least noisy A/C I encountered on this trip, and decently thick drapes/curtains to keep the light out after sunup.
Nice view from the balcony on each room.
The room was clean and in good condition, but then again they usually are, so that's tough to compete with. Breakfast service was also good, with maybe a tad better choice of fruit than usual. I happily stuffed my face each morning.

The only weak spot I can come up with is that parking is at a bit of a slope, so if your parking brake is weak, things might get interesting. But I'm fully convinced that Lesley would find a way to make that work as well.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family

LesPats, Owner at Umbrella Tree House, responded to this review, March 1, 2014
David, thank you for such a lovely review! I am always delighted to have our overseas guests coming back because I know that the choice is vast and most people would like a different experience. So it 's a great compliment that you enjoyed your first stay enough to come back. And I'm delighted that you enjoyed your second stay too!! I love the chatting, as I'm sure you know. And, haha, yes, that driveway - I've thought of putting in posts so that people can just rest their cars against them without worrying. Maybe we will still do that. Of course, to us the driveway is quite a gentle slope - you should see some of them in Durban :) Hope we see you again one day!
Birsfelden, Switzerland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2014

We stayed here for 2 nights and we felt us very good. The view over Umhlanga
was stunning. We enjoyed the breakfast and the walk down to the village. So we
didn't use the car, when we went out at night.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends

LesPats, Owner at Umbrella Tree House, responded to this review, March 1, 2014
Thanks for the review Marlise - very happy that you enjoyed your stay :)
Toronto, Ontario
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2014

Staying at the Umbrella Tree House was a highlight of our time in Durban. Lesley and family are fantastic hosts and a wealth of information. We settled in for a full week with 6 of us of all ages and we all loved it. The accommodation, hospitality, location were all fantastic. We will definitely be back and would highly recommend this property!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

LesPats, Owner at Umbrella Tree House, responded to this review, January 18, 2014
Hi Tara, thanks so much for the review. I am so glad you enjoyed your stay. It was lovely having you guys here, I really enjoyed the chats. Hope Libby enjoyed it. Maybe see you again someday :)
Randburg
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2014

Lovely stay, just would have been nice to have clean towels and a made bed on the second day of our stay, even though it was christmass, we were still paying for the service.. Otherwise, it was comfortable with lovely views, good location

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

LesPats, Owner at Umbrella Tree House, responded to this review, January 13, 2014
Thanks for the review and the feedback. I'm glad you enjoyed your stay, short as it was. For the benefit of others reading this review I feel I must just explain. Usually over Christmas I only take self-caterers, the only reason I had accommodation available was due to a cancellation. In all my emails I state 'rooms are serviced daily except Sundays and Public Holidays'. In fact, we do service all days of the year except Christmas Day and New Year's Day. My staff and I work really hard throughout the year, including all weekends, so I feel it is right to give them those days off. With regards to paying for the service, due to the cancellation my rooms were priced at a discounted price. I checked with the local hotels and their charge was more than double my charge, so I felt it was a bargain. But in any event, even if the rooms had been serviced, we do not change the towels daily. According to my star grading we only need to change towels every 3 days, certainly not after only one night's stay - that would be expected at a 5-star establishment. The reasons I don't change towels more frequently are cost of laundering and it is extremely environmentally unfriendly to wash excessively. We do try to be as 'green' as possible recycling and reducing unnecessary water and electricity usage.
Johannesburg, South Africa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2014

Thank You Lesley, our family had a wonderful stay at your B & B in December 2013. The rooms were lovely and the view awesome, although we spent most of the time on the deck together. The facilities were more than ample & we felt like we were "home" away from home" The only complaint is that our stay it wasn't longer!!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Hi Debbie, so glad you enjoyed your stay! Thanks for the lovely review. Hopefully we'll see you again someday :)
Nijmegen, The Netherlands
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2013

We had a beautiful room at Umbrella Tree. The room was very spacious, nicely decorated and clean! Nice view at see from the room. Good value for money. A short drive will take you to the restaurants / boulevard.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

LesPats, Owner at Umbrella Tree House, responded to this review, November 18, 2013
Thanks for your review Janneke. Glad you enjoyed your stay and hope to see you again someday :)

Been to Umbrella Tree House? Share your experiences!