“Perfect!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 18 Hotels in Umhlanga Rocks
Moscow, Russia
“Perfect!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

Amazing! Have stayed by myself for a weekend on a business trip. But would be perfect for a romantic getaway.
Stunning views, great service, good food. Not cheap, but definitely worth it.
The terrace restaurant serves a curry buffet with 10+ curry types for lunch and dinner. Amazing. The lighthouse bar with the view on the ocean - and yes, the lighthouse - is beautiful. You can visit both not staying in the hotel as well.
The beach promenade right outside the hotel is great for a run or walk.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
OBHumhlangaRocks, General Manager at The Oyster Box, responded to this review, March 18, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to give some feedback on your recent stay at The Oyster Box.

I am delighted to hear that you thorughly enjoyed yourself, ini particular the views, service and food.

Wayne Coetzer

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (300)
Johannesburg, South Africa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2013

When I asked my mom where she should would like to have lunch on her 65th birthday recently, she laughed and said "the Oyster Box"! I cannot remember a family holiday (and nor can she) without this special hotel - and it was my absolute privilege to arrange lunch and a trip to the Hotel since its renovations. My Mom, aunt and I caught the Gautrain from Sandton and the red eye flight to Durban. The Hotel was nothing short of spectacular from the moment we arrived... we were treated like royalty - a superb lunch (the curry buffet, what else do you eat in Durbs??) and a walk on the beach and toes in the water! The weather was beautiful (ordered specially, although Jo'burgers are not used to the wind), and the view unsurpassed from the terrace.... I'm so thrilled to see that most of the original mosaics and features have been maintained post renovation (my great grandparents almost bought the beach cottage that stood where the Hotel currently is and decided against it because "nobody would go to Umhlanga, as it was too far from Durban! Madness!) What a gorgeous spot.... fabulous service, fabulous experience and a very special memory for all of us. Thank you for everything - well done to Wayne Coetzer and his team .... highly recommended!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

Thank you for posting your review on TripAdvisor.

I am thoroughly delighted to hear that your special lunch visit to The Oyster Box on the occasion of your Mum's 65th birthday exceeded all expectations.

The Owners have maintained the intrinsic character and charm when renovating and coupled with the unsurpassed views of the ocean, make for a wonderful relaxing day out.

I look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Umhlanga Rocks, South Africa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013

My recent visit to to Oyster Box Hotel in Umhlanga, South Africa was nothing short of spectacular! We were treated like royalty from the moment we arrived. The very smallest of detail was carefully taken care of and the staff really went the extra mile for us. Nothing was a problem for the staff. We found the food of a very high standard too. All in all, our expectations were not only met but far exceeded. Thank you Oyster Box, we will be back!!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback following your spectacular stay at The Oyster Box which exceeded your expectations.

I am delighted to hear that you thoroughly enjoyed all aspects of the hotel, including the high standard of the food and the fact that "No request was too large and No detail too small".

Dcusa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2013

Just returned from The Famous " Oysster Box Hotel " BIG DISAPPOINTMENT !!!!

The Hotel IS very nice....It's the staff that was disappointing

On arrival I drove up and NOBODY was at the front door...a guard directed me to PARK off to the side in the VISITOR lot....My bags were still in the car. I get to the front desk....and the Bellmen are standing around chatting. I mention to the front desk clerk that my bags are still in my trunk....and she ignores that and say...So how may I help YOU...well getting my BAGS would be nice !!!! The bellmen continue to joke and talk with each other.....I whined up getting my own bags and dragging them to the lobby...where finally a bellman....seeing a TIP wants to grab them....basicaly tearing them from my arm.... " It's My job Sir " WHERE were you when I arrived !!!!

The food at the Grill was just AVERAGE....over cooked fish....horrible steak.....and the staff was SO ATTENTIVE that they smothered you .... I could not enjoy my wife's conversation. They have the CONCEPT of what to do....BUT THEY NEED TRAINING.....Management are you LISTENING ????

We eat at the other restaruant....equally disappointing...and the waitress was horrible. I spoke to the manager....she listened......BUT gave me the impression that my comments were falling on deaf ears

Go to the Hotel....spend $1000 for a beautiful room ...... BUT do not EAT there.....RUN to the other nearby food venue's and enjoy a good meal.

I was very disappointed in the STAFF... The bellmen, waitress,Bartenders.....all JUST did there job and displaayed NO PERSONALITY .... NOT one asked how we were....How are day was....Where we were from........ Very disappointemting

I believe the Oyster box is living on it's past....forgetting about THE FUTURE !!!

TRAIN these young kids....peeople who pay this amount of money expect EXCELLENT SERVICE the staff was well below average at every position

HOusekeeping was eually BAD.....rooms dont get cleaned until LATE in the evening. You need to ask them if you want it done before 8-10pm .... and they miss a lot of stuff.....dirty glasses....towels on the floor....

Never again.... I'll find another hotel

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback following your stay at The Oyster Box.

Please accept my sincere apologies for the unsatisfactory service you received. I truly regret that we were unable to provide you with the level of service we consistently strive to provide each and every one of our guests.

I would have loved for you to have enjoyed a truly memorable experience with us and should you wish to give us a second chance, please do not hesitate to contact either myself or my Deputy General Manager, Ms. Liebenberg.

I take all feedback from our guests extremely seriously in order to assist us in the future to improve in certain areas and thank you for your valuable comments.

I look forward to welcoming you back to The Oyster Box.

Johannesburg, South Africa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2013

This is the most amazing hotel. The rooms always smell amazing, and are so beautifully decorated and are also so clean. Staff are so friendly and do their jobs so well. The best part, pets are allowed and they are treated like royalty! It is a like a Atlantas under the sea wonderland! I absolutely love love love this hotel and will keep going back!!

Room Tip: Sea facing rooms are amazing, and the Garden Villas are also so lovely they offer their own private...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
OBHumhlangaRocks, General Manager at The Oyster Box, responded to this review, March 15, 2013
Dear Guest,

I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed the friendliness of the staff, the rooms with their special fragrance and the fact that we are a pet friendly hotel with their special treats too.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel soon.

Durban, South Africa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2013

Wednesday the 27th February Marked our first Conversations with Coronation for the year , a seminar we at Coronation Fund Managers host 5 times each year. Our first round kicked off with a larger than usual turn out and as we have experienced in the past the staff and chef at the Oyster box stood up to the challenge , A room that only seats 180 guests accomadated our 205 guests. Food was more than adequate and absolutely amazing, the atmosphere , and staff created a warm yet exciting evening for our clients to socialise at ...i cant say THANK YOU enough. To the Head Chef Kevin Joseph, thank you for treating my function like it was your own , to the mangement and staff that contributed i just want to say heartfelt thanks on a job more than well done. Your professionalism and attention to detail is much appreciated. Look forward to the next round..

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
OBHumhlangaRocks, General Manager at The Oyster Box, responded to this review, March 8, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback following your recent seminar at The Oyster Box.

I am delighted to hear that you all thoroughly enjoyed yourselves, in particular the food, staff and ambiance.

Our staff are passionate about ensuring every guest's experience here is amazing and that every guest leaves the hotel wishing to return.

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2013

Great hotel - great location - great service - great atmosphere - all in all, a stay at this hotel guarantees a great experience. Loved the decor with lovely original art, rooms very comfortable and tastefully decorated - food good but not always exceptional: this maybe the only thing that did not live up to my expectations. Food in South Africa is almost always good, no matter where you eat, but for an establishment of this calibre I did expect that special WOW factor.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
wayne020, General Manager at The Oyster Box, responded to this review, March 5, 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you so much for taking the time to post a review.

It gives me great pleasure to read that you enjoyed so many of our fascilities around the Hotel, and that you found the Hotel well appointed, and the service levels excellent.

I am sorry you only found the food good and not excellent, as we strive only to produce the very best at all times.

I look forward tpo welcoming you back in the very near future.

Kind regards

Wayne Coetzer

Been to The Oyster Box? Share your experiences!