“I want to return - soon very soon!” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Contemporary
Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
Durban, South Africa
“I want to return - soon very soon!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013

We have been delighted with Beluga in the past and on recommendations we decided to take a visiting Joburg niece to Sevruga to show her that Durban has some great eateries.

Let us say when we left she was gob-smacked and so were we.

The wine list has limited reasonably priced red wines which perhaps needs to be reworked for the Durban crowd.

May I recommend their 3 course dinner menu for R 165.00 a head – what a bargain, but make sure you are really hungry. You have the choice of a variety of starters, mains and desserts that are drawn from their main menu.

There were four of us, the niece who started on the calamari with a peanut aioli dressing presented in a pyramid form, which I will definitely choose the next time around - awesome! Then it was on to the selection of Dim Sum parcels which was served in two bamboo steaming towers containing 3 pieces each of Prawn, Duck, Butternut and [I can't recall the fourth option] - she loved all except the duck, only as duck isn't her favourite. This was followed by the Vanilla Crème Brulee which she maintains was the best she has had – EVER! The Grandma opted for the Kingklip served on a bed of flavoured mash – Madam conservative raved! My wife started with the deep fried Sushi Tuna Rolls which bowled her over – what a portion! Then the Kingklip Ratatouille, again flawless! To round off she indulged in the Chocolate Sundae with nuts – which she was nuts about [excuse the pun!] I, the host chose to start with a long standing favourite of mine, the Tom Yum soup. That is when we had an oops! Not with the soup with was breath takingly spicy and beautifully rounded with plump prawns, but with a very dirty soup spoon. That is when Super Woman, a.k.a. Jolene the manager came to the fore! Despite protestations from myself she insisted that my meal was on the house! Then went beyond the call of duty by presenting me with a very decadent Choc Cake dessert and cream liqueurs for all to round off a memorable occasion!

Jolene, I am honour-bound to return, not because of the freebies but because of your great willingness to correct a 'dropped ball' and together with your superb cuisine! So seldom seen in this day and age – THANK YOU!

Oh I nearly forgot my main which was a very tantalising and moist Springbok Pasta Bolognese and the Crème Brulee which was fobbed onto Grandma, much to her delight!

Well sated we left with many 'doggie-bags' for the next day's home feast!

Well done the Caviar Group and accolades to Jolene of Sevruga in Gateway – you are a Star!

• Visited May 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Durban
“Value, comfort, service top class”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2013

Been to Sevruga a couple of times for lunch, they have an excellent menu and the dining chairs inside are the most comfortable I have ever sat in. For me this is a huge plus as if you are having a good meal one wants to be sit in comfort. Also the ambience there is great even though there were not many people in the restuarant and it is quite a large room the decor makes it feel cosy. Also the service is first class. We will visit this more often.

• Visited March 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
“Best restaurant in Durban”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2013

I had the pleasure of spending an evening here with my son and two friends. The food has a strong French influence to its style and is exceptional. Having spent nearly two years living around Durban this place gets my vote anytime. They also have a sushi menu that is very good. I will happily revisit this restaurant when I am next in Durban.

• Visited February 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“Great night out”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2013 via mobile

First visit to Sevruga & I have to say I was very impressed.

The food was to die for! There was a bit of a delay between getting our starters & mains, but we were 12 people so it could probably be expected. The sushi was amazing. I wasn't sure what to choose & the waiter was able to steer me in the right direction. Such a fantastic selection & variety, that I have not come across before! Everyone enjoyed their mains & you could see that each plate was prepared with care. It was really difficult to choose a main, the options seemed endless & you wanted to try everything.

The dessert menu was just as difficult to choose from & again the waiter was very helpful in making a choice. Yummy!! I ended up choosing the lemon meringue. I have never had lemon meringue that good. The other guys had other options which was just as good. Presentation was to perfection.

I can honestly say that I will definitely return in the near future & I recommend them to anyone looking or a good meal, that is decently priced for what you are getting.

Durban, South Africa
“Good food, just waited along time for it”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2013

Service was polite and food was tasty. A good atmosphere and spacious area. Only downfall was we waited a while for the food to be served as we had the 3 course and we felt we sat waiting too long between courses.

• Visited March 2013