“Branch Awards*16 March2013” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Coastlands Umhlanga

You added Coastlands Umhlanga to your Saves list
Coastlands Umhlanga
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   329 Umhlanga Rocks Drive, Umhlanga Rocks 4000, South Africa   |
Ranked #16 of 18 Hotels in Umhlanga Rocks
“Branch Awards*16 March2013”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013 via mobile

It's normally a hotel I look forward to as my company has had several functions here. It have always enjoyed the fantastic spread of food here, great setup and uNdoubtedly the embiance can be a added bonus. My last stay, had a great room (915) but the shower was accumulating water and started to flood, the night of the 16th, the night in which I hosted the awards evening, whilst I enjoyed the overall food, the seafood station needs major improvements. I received my platter of prawns only to find the I could only eat 3 prawns and the rest was heads and shell. Too embarrassed to go back as I was the host, I let this go. I known this venue to be popular in my company, but as long as I chair my club, I will have to look twice if I have to come back, fix this guys as I like your venue.

Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Kuben101, Manager at Coastlands Umhlanga, responded to this review, April 22, 2013
Thank you for bringing this to our attention, our Food and beverage Manager is resolving this with his team and can assure you that going forward you will not encounter this again

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
Cape Town Central, South Africa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

Neat and comfortable rooms. Friendly staff. Great breakfast. The stay, whist for business, was made very comfortable by the ambiance, well situated hotel, and friendly staff. Based on my first experience at this hotel I will be making this my "hotel of choice" when in Durban for business going forward.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Johannesburg
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2013

I have book this hotel week before I arrive , on my arrive I had t care my won bag t the ninth floor!!
Was not even ofer a drink after wait 40min for the room be ready!
First nite I cud not sleeping, was people next door making to much noise.
I did complain til 1am nothing was done.
Next day I change the room .

Was children runinng around on the 9th floor screaming, til 10pm wen you had a busy day, paying so much for a she$$$ hotel, the service is miserable , 10-15 min seating at dinner wait for someone to ask if u want a drink?
Common ...was a nite mare!
I will never back and don't recommend anyone!
I think is too much staff standing doing nothing , I don't think the manager really cares, for my experience and talk to more then 3gests there...I think he is not ready for this, I can tell u even road lodge is *** on the top!
Common you mister Kuben..u can tell me you are doing ur best wen seems like is just getting worse!
My bedding sheet had a stain!
They dint even remove my dustbin from the room for 2days in the row!
Shower full of hair!
Common , You really have to do somentime about, we pay loots to have a dame service like this!

Room Tip: Just don't stay in this hotel until gets better.. I come to relax for 2weeks, and ending up str...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

The hotel has a great location with it being in the middle of everything. The beach is a short drive down the hill; the shopping mall is a short walk around the corner. The views are nice from the hotel. The pool is small but gets you wet when you get too hot. I think the staff require a bit more refining as I often found them talking loudly to each other in the public spaces, not very professional. The rooms are spacious but not enough cupboard space to unpack our clothes into. The television system is horrible and froze a number of times requiring it to be reset. Rooms have inter-leading doors that are paper thin, many early mornings we were unhappily woken up by a baby next door that would cry for an hour or two, at nights our neighbours would sit and talk with friends in the room and we could hear every word while trying to fall asleep. The lifts are irritatingly slow and one can wait quite some time before one with enough space arrives to collect you. No bacon or pork is served in the hotel as the kitchen is Halal, I don't find this to be very international and believe a hotel should cater for all and not just one religious group.

Room Tip: Ask for a corner room. You'll get a great view.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013 via mobile

Unfriendly reception and manager at reception. Refused to give early check-in by even 30min saying hotel was full but check out for previous nights guest was 2 hrs 30min before I wanted to check in. They would not even offer a drink while they made me wait for a room. Overall the staff and manager is pathetic.

• Stayed January 2013
Cape Town Central, South Africa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2012

Just checked out of your hotel and we had an awesome experience... The hotel was close to Gateway and we really enjoyed shopping there. The hotel is well designed and the friendly hotel staff ensured that we enjoyed our holiday. The pool on the third floor was small however we did enjoy our time spent on the pool deck. It was spacious and we could enjoy the sun. The gymnasium was great however small also.

Room Tip: Always ask for the corner rooms.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2012

My perfect honey moon getaway. I arrived at the hotel and felt like a VIP. My bags were immeditely carried for me by the helpful porter who directed us to reception. Their reception area was modern and comfortable. We were swiftly checked in and were amazed by the design of the interiors. We had a great view overlooking the ocean. The room was modern and very peaceful. Compliments to the staff who arranged our room for our arrival, they made it very special. Breakfast was amazing we had so much to choose from with excellent views of the ocean again from the restaurant while you eat. The staff were so helpful they made my stay even better. Overall a perfect getaway especially if you want to get away from it all.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Coastlands Umhlanga? Share your experiences!