“Proteas at Royal Palm” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Three Cities Royal Palm

You added Three Cities Royal Palm to your Saves list
Three Cities Royal Palm
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   8 Palm Boulevard, New Town Centre, Umhlanga Ridge, Umhlanga Rocks 4320, South Africa   |
Ranked #13 of 18 Hotels in Umhlanga Rocks
Pretoria, South Africa
“Proteas at Royal Palm”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2013

One of the more luxuriance apartment style hotels in KZN. Very friendly staff with professional service 24h around the clock. They opposite gateway shopping mall and 5 minutes to the Umhlanga beach. Big spacious rooms with all the necessary needs of modern hotels. A must stay for any traveler. Thanks to Lehay and Shami for running an excellent service and made the Proteas stay unforgettable.

Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
5sallyb, Manager at Three Cities Royal Palm, responded to this review, December 31, 2013
Dear Riaan
Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your positive feedback following your stay at Three Cities Royal palm Hotel. We are thrilled to hear that your stay with us was most enjoyable and in particular your attention to detail with regards to commending our valued, friendly staff. We are privledged to have had your amazing "Protea" Team stay with us and commend them once again on their phenominal Test Series Win.

We hope that you left our hotel with a treasured memory and look forward to your return.

Wishing you all the best for 2014.
Warm Regards
Sally Bricknell
Business Development Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Cape Town
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2013

The hotel/ apartments is situated diagonally opposite Gateway shopping centre and a 5min drive from the beach. Probably better suited for longer stay business visitors enjoying "home away from home" accommodation.

The 2 bed apartment I stayed in was tastefully furnished. Pity the upkeep/ housekeeping was not of the same standard. Quite a few lamp shades were skew, the bathroom floor was not clean and the carpets and couch could do with a good steam clean. The basics were ok though: linen and towels were clean and fresh and since I stayed only for one night it was good enough.

The service and breakfast was satisfactory. All and all not bad, however, there are definitely better options in the vicinity. Perhaps if they pay more attention to detail it could be a better option. It is unlikely that I will stay in this "hotel" again simply because there are quite a few better options available in the area.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
5sallyb, Manager at Three Cities Royal Palm, responded to this review, November 8, 2013
Dear Daniel,

Three Cities Roya Palm Hotel have acknowledged and addressed your concerns with regard to "attention to detail". We sincerely appreciate your feedback and oppologise for any inconvienace caused on your 1 night stay with us. We certainly pride ourselves in hospitality and oppologise for the inconvienance that you experienced.

We certainly hope that you will reconsider us on your travels.

Kind Regards
Three Cities Royal Palm Hotel
Management
Sydney
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2013

I stayed in this hotel for 6 nights in October 2013 for a business trip. Nice things include the location if you want to be close to the Gateway shopping centre or the close by business buildings, there are nice spas and restaurants on the same block. The not so nice things include that they requested I pay all fees up front before I checked into room (which makes it difficult if you don't end up staying because something goes wrong), they do not fill up the mini bar (you have to pay them up front to do this), there is very little crockery in the room. I found the service from reception staff to be underwhelming for example they couldn't loan me an umbrella, my fridge was turned off so I had to call for help to know how to turn it on, it also took almost 2 hours to get staff to come to my room on multiple occasions to help me get wi fi connection, fix fridge, fix broken lamp, unlock safe as I made a mistake entering code. Not big deals but when you are there on business and doing shift work like I was it made it very frustrating when you have to keep calling back to remind them to help you. The room also melt like smoke even though it was a no smoking room. The bathroom is nice with towel heaters and a bath tub plus separate shower, the beds are comfortable and clean and all rooms seem to have a small balcony to relax (although the view is back over some apartment buildings. The fitness centre and pool are available over in the shopping centre so it takes at least 10 minutes each way to get to and from and with no hotel umbrella very uncomfortable. A very standard hotel but probably ok for the price you pay.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
5sallyb, Manager at Three Cities Royal Palm, responded to this review, October 28, 2013
Dear Fiona Mearon,

Thank you for taking the time to provide me with your input, following your stay at Three Cities Royal Palm Hotel.

i, sincerely oppologise with regards to the umbrella issue. Umbrellas are issued to our guests and your point has been raised and addressed with out Front Desk Manager. Our Billing is a standard procedure which is addressed in all hotels in South Africa, whereby upfront payment is required. Should you have had reason to leave our hotel earlier than expected we would happily reimbursed you.

The Gym facilitie is an add on that we offer our guests complimentary from our local Virgin Active Gym, which is located accross the road from our hotel, we are delighted you utilised this service.
All mini bars in our rooms are stocked as per your request and billed accordingly, we oppologise should this not have been explained correctly to yourself.

All hotel rooms are non smoking, we would have gladly supplied an ozone machine that cleanses the room should this have been bought to our attention.

Once again, we appreciate your review input and have addressed all concerned issues.

Warm Regards
Three Cities Royal Palm Hotel Management Team
San Francisco
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2013

I recently spent a night at the Royal Palm Hotel in Umhlanga. Lovely welcome and neat, open spaces to relax in whilst I waited for my room. The room was spacious, neat and well-equipped and really comfortable. The staff were extra friendly and breakfast was yummy! I would recommend this hotel for bother corporate and leisure stays. Conveniently located too. I'm sure I'll be back!

Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
5sallyb, Manager at Three Cities Royal Palm, responded to this review, October 10, 2013
Thank you Mish09 for your review and informing Travellers of our beautiful property. It was an absolute pleasure having you stay at Three Cities Royal Palm Hotel, where we pride ourselves in hospitality. We will pass on your positive comments to our staff whom certainly strive to be the best. We llok forward to seeing you soon.

Fond Regards
Your Three Cities Royal Palm Hotel Team
Johannesburg, Gauteng, South Africa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2013

Towards the end of July I stayed in this lovely establishment. I was taken away. The place is fabulous. I was booked in a two bedroom suite. I was booked for one night my regret was not have arrieved early or extend my stay. This is a top notch place.

The place is a close proximity to all the amenities. The airport, the beach, shops and the restaurants.

I will be going back soon and I will going for a longer stay with friends and family. This place has become one of the best places for me to stay in Durban. I will recommend to business executives or families who are looking for a holiday accommodation especially for longer stays to check it out this place. If you are like me a hotel room after a day or 2 starts to feel like a prison but this place you would want to stay in your room.

Thank you for a lovely stay and I will joining you soon

Room Tip: choose a suite
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
5sallyb, Manager at Three Cities Royal Palm, responded to this review, October 2, 2013
Dear Zama,
On behalf of our Management Team and Staff at Three Cities Royal Palm Hotel, we thank you for your wonderful review. We are delighted you had an awesome stay with us. Service is our priority and your review is acknoledged and our staff commended.

Thank you!

We certainly look forward to soon
From the Three Cities Royal Palm Hotel Team
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2013

I stayed here for 5 days on business, it's a newish and pleasant hotel, the rooms are large, clean and comfortable and there's a stunning view of the Gateway shopping centre (I'm joking of course). Service was unpredictable, but quite enthusiastic, there's a friendly bar and pleasant breakfast environment. But I couldn't help feeling that if I was staying in a seaside city, I would like to see the sea. I took a trip out to the Oyster Bar hotel for lunch (actually the view over the beach was brilliant, but the food disappointing ) and that was more of what I'd expected as far as location was concerned. But at least being so close to the Gateway meant that I had easy walking access to the restaurants there. I would particularly recommend Plaka (excellent Greek food especially the starters) and Beluga (fab sushi). And it's true that a great percentage of the shops there had some kind of sports theme. Oh, by the way, the hotel has an agreement with a very large Virgin Active (in the centre, big gym and pool) which is free.
So swings and roundabouts for this hotel really (to use that cliche) depends what you're after, but I think I'd go for a hotel with a sea view.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Belle Mare
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2013

I was in Durban for the Indaba Fair; stayed at Royal Palm and did not regret choosing this property. Being a Hotelier myself....Hats Off for the housekeeping team. Good breakfast in the morning and well located property... just opposite the Gateway Mall.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business

Been to Three Cities Royal Palm? Share your experiences!