“Absolutely amazing family holiday” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Cutty Sark Hotel

Cutty Sark Hotel
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Scottburgh
Cutty Sark Hotel
You added Cutty Sark Hotel to your Saves list
Beachfront, Scottburgh, Scottburgh 4180, South Africa   |
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Scottburgh
“Absolutely amazing family holiday”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2013 via mobile

We were greated by friendly staff and were given assistance in getting to our room. The rooms are neat and clean and the view onto the beach is absolutely incredible. The buffets put out for dinner and breakfast will rival and five star hotel. A really great family holiday.

• Stayed July 2013
Peter R, Owner at Cutty Sark Hotel, responded to this review, September 11, 2013
So glad you enjoyed your stay..hope to see you again soon..Best wishes from all at Cutty Sark

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2013

We spend 4 nights (mid-week) first week in July 2013 as a family of 4. We were pleasantly surpised - the family room was of a decent size (bathroom very small) and all amenities in working order. The food was really good home styled cooking that catered for all and the selection varied and interesting. All our needs were met and when we asked for extra towels, they were there within 5 minutes. An enjoyable stay, child friendly and value for money - pity the weather did not play it's part. We realise that the Hotel is old but you can visibly see certain areas have been upgraded and their lounge area and outside patio with wi-fi were very comfortable - we would certainly go back!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Peter R, Manager at Cutty Sark Hotel, responded to this review, July 13, 2013
Glad you enjoyed your stay..hope to see you again soon..this time with better weather
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2013

Recently stayed there for week end with a travel club. the staff were friendly and very helpful except the front reception people. I felt as though I was doing them a favour by booking into the hotel.
The food was pleasant. Rooms nice and big but in serious need of updating as does the whole hotel. I know this is a landmark in the area but that does not mean they don't need to modernize it it with Aircons and duvets on the beds,
Grounds well maintained and lots of place for children to play.
Would I go back and stay there.......no. When it has a face lift and cost come in line with value I may consider it. I am a travel agent and need to give my clients the best value for money.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Johannesburg, South Africa
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2013

This is a long story... full of complaints...

My husband and I got married November 2012.
We kicked off our honeymoon in the Drakensburg for 3 nights, and it was AMAZING!
We then left to spend the remaining 10 nights on the South Coast.
He picked the hotel Cutty Sark.... Hotel? Really?

The reception area was dodgy (cold and dark)
The staff at the reception were not at all friendly (both the reception ladies and the cleaning staff standing around)

When the booking was made, my husband requested a room that at least had a sea view. On arrival, we told them again that we were there for our honeymoon. One of reception lady's checked the room number and said that "this is a very nice room"

We walked down a couple of stairs to the end of the hotel (and I mean the very end), even though the hotel was empty.
When the door was opened the first thing we saw was the bathroom, which looked like it had just been renovated, it was stunning, then a stench out of hell hit your nose.
As if this bedroom door hadn't been opened it months!
I tried desperately not to look disappointed, after all we were at the coast, I suppose this smell is normal.

We then opened the curtains only to find that our view was just BUSH! We opened the door leading to the beach side of the room, more bush. Only about 3 rooms down did you start seeing the ocean.
I couldn't hold it anymore I just burst out crying.
I sat on the bed that felt like it has no more mattress left, like I was going to fall right through and hit the ground.
I looked around at the excuse of a honeymoon room, that has a TV stand that was ready to fall out of the wall, the TV with reception so terrible it looked like it was snowing, and an excuse of a table with tea/coffee making equipment.
This wasn't acceptable, not for what we were paying.
Husband went to go complain, and they moved us to another room, no problem.

Up the stairs we went, past the reception, up some more stairs, to another room on the other end of the hotel. SERIOUSLY! There was no one there!

Again when we walked in I thought this room would be great. 180 degree view, sea, garden, lagoon. What could be better right?
Until I walked into the bathroom.
What a sad sight. It had a bath come shower, with a disgusting shower curtain and shower head, there were stains on the bath, stains on the basin, a tiny little mirror cupboard that looks as rotten as anything
Again I sat on the bed, SAME THING as before! Completely collapsed in the middle.
all of a sudden I hear this sound. A train! Coming right past the bedroom!!!! Something you don't see on their wonderful website, that paints a fairytale picture compared to what this place really looks like.
As if that wasn’t bad enough, there was exactly one cupboard to put your clothing in. A single side with about 4 shelves and a hanging side which could probably fit about 3 days of clothing. We were going to be there for 10!

Furniture in both rooms were not only old, but also breaking and rotting.
The carpets looked and smelt like they hadn’t been washed EVER.
This place hasn’t been renovated in years, which is so sad because it has beautiful potential.

This place is HELL!!
This is not a hotel! It doesn’t deserve the “branding” hotel. It is disgusting, and an utter rip off.

We managed to get our money back without a fight, which is strange, makes you think that this isn’t the first time that this has happened, and we managed to find another place to stay, thank heavens! Our honeymoon was saved.

We were told a couple of days later, by our deep sea fishing captain, that the hotel isn’t half of what it used to be. That’s it’s been totally neglected.
That the hotel is advertised a great deal over seas, how true that is I don’t know, but if it is true, I feel very ashamed and angry to think that foreign visitors get ripped off, and are fooled into thinking that this is the best there is.

Room Tip: I don't think one exists
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Peter R, Manager at Cutty Sark Hotel, responded to this review, July 13, 2013
Obviously expectation level was much higher before checking. Overall did not stay and did not pay.
Dublin, Ireland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013

My husband and I were due to book into the hotel on the 27th Dec 2012. When we arrived and were shown to our room we were in for a shock. At a rate of R1640 per night, you expect a certain standard, however we were absolutely disgusted by our room. It was tatty and dirty as well as totally outdated.
The bathroom door didn’t close from the outside and our toddler was having great fun racing to play with the toilet as we has no way of keeping him out, there was also cracked and raised tiles on the floor and was an toe stump waiting to happen.
The floor in the main room was full of stains and Iron burns, The TV didn’t work and the wood was dirty and full of dust.
The headboard was falling apart on one of the beds. The other bed’s cover had cigarette burns in it and then the sheets underneath. We decided to peek at the mattress and were horrified to see a big yellow stain in the mattress.

We called the lady on reception and showed her this & her response was that they didn’t have any other rooms available, so we would have to have a refund.

We had to leave the hotel, not that we wanted to stay, and try to find alternate accommodation.

It was an absolute disgrace and they should be ashamed to rent out those rooms to ppl. I wouldn’t rate it as a 1 star.

Room Tip: My tip is, there is no good rooms, dont stay there.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Germiston, South Africa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2012

Loved the hotel especially the food. The staff were excellent. Situated on the beachfront and would definitely like to go back and take the kids next time. The food is above average. The rooms were not that great as they need an upgrade but were spotlessly clean. That did not put a damper on my holiday as who spends all day in their room.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Billericay, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2012

Stayed here on Boxing Day and was disappointed by the standard of decor. Rooms look like something from the 70's and weren't that tidy or clean. Location is OK but nothing special. The food was average. Considering that we paid R1400 for one night's stay we certainly expected more. Won't rush back unless the place is gutted and redecorated. Terrible really.

Room Tip: Choose another hotel!
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Cutty Sark Hotel? Share your experiences!