“Lovely day out,twenty minutes from Pietermaritzburg.” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Type: Nature/ Wildlife Areas, Ranchs, Outdoors
Activities: Getting married
More attraction details
Owner description: Nearly 3,000 hectares of pristine natural plains and grasslands, this Kwazulu-Natal reserve has abundant bird species as well as big game.
Wolves
6 attraction reviews
“Lovely day out,twenty minutes from Pietermaritzburg.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2014

While working in Pietermaritzburg we had a day to spare and was advised by a local to visit here.
We saw Rhino,giraffe,hippopotamus, in fact all sorts of large game,all from the comfort of our Ford Fiesta rental car.Many of the trails are quite demanding,but there are large trails which are more than adequate for even a small rental like ours,which still allowed us to see the animals.
We had a great day,and I cannot recommend this park highly enough.
And to add to that,it's a fiver(£5),to get in,thanks to all at Tala for a great experience.

Visited May 2014
TalaGameReserve, General Manager at Tala Private Game Reserve, responded to this review, July 14, 2014
Dear Wolves Ford
Good morning, I trust this finds you well
As the newly appointed GM of Tala, I would like to thank you for taking the time in posting for kind words and look forward to welcoming you back to Three Cities Tala Private Game Reserve

Dubai, United Arab Emirates
“Nice bush experience, but staff needs more motivation”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2014

This is a perfect place just outside Pietermaritzburg, ideal for a weekend escape, a barbecue or some days in the bush.
Within Tala we stayed at the leadwood lodge, which provides small individual houses in the middle of the bush. If you like to spot animals, this is the perfect location and I even found the price lower than in other lodges I have stayed in. But you should be aware that you are in the bush, not all animal encounters might be pleasant. There are some animals roaming around which need some attention and respect (like warthogs, giraffes and some crawling ones etc), so it is important to keep the park rules. The rangers have a strict eye on that.
The check in was a bit slow, even though we seemed to be the only guests during our stay. If you decide to stay at the leadwood lodge houses, be aware that it is a drive of about 15 mins in an offroad vehicle to reach the houses. The houses do not have a telephone, so make sure you have a working mobile phone with you.
The houses provide a lot of space and they are situated on a beautiful spot in the Tala reserve. Every morning giraffes (and others) are just walking by to drink from a nearby pond. If you like nature this is perfect, there is no TV in the room - nature is your TV here. The houses are equipped with sunbeds, sitting area, fire place inside, water cooker, mini bar (which is empty), bathtub, shower inside and even an outside shower. For ordering from the room service we had to use the mobile phone, it takes quite long due to the long drive, but it always worked.
All the rangers in the park were very nice and friendly and helped wherever they could, however the staff in the restaurant and reception area definitely need some motivation in order to serve the guest better, even just a smile would help.
The food in the restaurant was ok, a bit below my expectations. Also the choice of the menu is not that great. When we came there (September 2013) it seemed the management just had changed, maybe certain things have approved by now.
Tala also offers game drives, of course they are not comparable to Kruger National Park, but they are also nice in their own way. Biggest game you can spot are Rhinos. I enjoyed the ride, definitely worth trying.
For the day visitors the reserve provides a barbecue area, next to a little lake, which even has a pool area. Just be aware that warthogs and ostriches are wandering around freely there.
Anytime again!

Visited September 2013
Dear Mr Falkone
Good afternoon, I trust this finds you well
I would like to take this opportunity to introduce myself as the new General Manager of Tala having recently joined. Thank you for taking the time in forwarding your email, constructive criticism is always most welcomed and gratefully accepted
Your concerns have been noted, addressed with the relevant parties and preventative measures put in place. It is with great excitement that I inform you of our plans for a refurbishment and upgrade of all facilities on Tala scheduled to commence the latter part of the year. I do applogies for any misunderstanding that resulted in your inconvenience.
Please feel free to contract myself directly if I could be of further assistance
5 attraction reviews
“Great day out”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2014

We drove through for the day and had a great time.
The animals and setting are beautiful and we thoroughly enjoyed our drive through the reserve.
Don't recommend the restaurant but the reserve is lovely.

Dear Permen
Good morning I trust this find you well
As new General Manager your review is most helpful to assist me and the Team moving forward
Thank you for taking the time in forwarding your email,your concerns have been noted, addressed with the relevant parties concerned. I do applogies for any misunderstanding that resulted in your inconvenience.
Derek
Cardiff, United Kingdom
“Awesome, saw most of the animals on a self drive day trip”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2014

Great experience and well worth a visit, we went for a daytrip and thoroughly enjoyed it. Even saw the Rhino it was fab! We did a self drive as I had my 1 yr old son with me and we couldn't go on the game drive but we accessed the main areas there are a lot of roads that can and should only be accessed by 4x4. The Braii and pool area were great and we were surrounded by zebra there. I have been told today that poachers had killed 2 rhino and taken the horn of the thrid, I'm devastated and so enraged that someone could do that to such a magnificent animal. Sad to say that we were probably some of the last few people to have seen these beautiful creatures at the Tala reserve,my thoughts go out to the game wardens

Visited May 2014
TalaGameReserve, General Manager at Tala Private Game Reserve, responded to this review, September 23, 2014
Dear Caroline
Good morning, I trust this finds you well
A quick one to thank you for taking the time in writing your kind words
An update on Impilo (Zulu for survivor) she is doing well after the tragic event
We look forward welcoming you back to Tala Private Game Reserve
St. Albans
9 attraction reviews
“a lovely reserve in need of TLC”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2014

I was privileged to have had friends take me to see the abundant of game and enjoying a real bush experience but as they had a 4x4 I wondered how I could visit had I had a hire car. Although I appreciate the fact that some roads should be left for 4x 4 vehicles many other roads should be improved to cater for normal vehicles. Not all tourist have friends with 4x4’s. An alien invasive program also needs to be maintained as some areas are starting to be problematic. The staff at the central office were extremely friendly. More litter bins could also be provided at the hide situated on the water’s edge. On the whole a pleasant visit. Just a pity that the standards are slowly slipping. Is the reserve perhaps under new still incapable management?

Good morning,
Thank you for taking the time in forwarding your email, constructive criticism is always most welcomed and gratefully accepted. We are currently busy with a program to reduce the Alien plant species and shall continue until the battle is won. Your concerns have been noted, addressed with the relevant parties and preventative measures put in place
It is with great excitement that I inform you of our plans for a refurbishment and upgrade of the facilities on Tala scheduled to commence the latter part of the year
Tala Private Game Reserve