“Excellent From Arrival to Departure” 5 of 5 stars

You added Rhino River Lodge to your Saves list
Rhino River Lodge
3.0 of 5 Lodge   |   P.O BOX 2950, Hluhluwe 3960, South Africa   |
Reinholds, Pennsylvania
“Excellent From Arrival to Departure”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2011

My husband and I spent 5 nights here to enjoy the facilities and reserve game drives and to use it as a base for day trips in the area. We had a beautiful, large, comfortable en-suite bedroom/sitting room with a high ceilinged thatch roof and natural views from the wall of windows and the wall of sliding glass doors.

We enjoyed the 15 minute drive to the accomodations area once you arrived on the reserve because we never failed to see wildlife. We were greeted by giraffes and warthogs and a variety of birds followed by the friendly Siann who immediately offered to have sandwiches prepared for us when she learned we had missed lunch. We opted to wait for dinner and explore the area around our room on foot and were further excited to find nyala and impala and more birds.

Dining in the covered outdoors was very pleasant and the food consistently delicious and well served. The full breakfast was similar each day but dinners were varied and knowledgeable staff was always available to answer questions and to offer insights into the animals and other attractions in the area. The informaton they provided on the reserve ecology and animal behavior added much to our experience and drinks around the fire boma added much to our enjoyment.

We had lots of animal and bird sightings on our reserve game drives with Isaac; he was a terrific guide. We also left the reserve for day trips to Hluhluwe-Imfolozi Park, the St. Lucia Wetlands, and Mkhuze Game Reserve and were never disappointed in the variety and numbers of animals and birds and unusual trees we found. The location was perfect and we looked forward to our return each evening for that next well prepared dinner.

We were left with memories of terrific staff and accomodations, numerous, lingering sightings of amazing mammals and birds, and knowledge of and respect for KwaZulu-Natal.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
  • Polish first
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2011

Rhino River Lodge was the best place i have stayed by far.

very friendly service from Sonya on arrival, and we were quickly led to our rooms to freshen up before a game drive. The rooms are immaculate with a very "African" feel, lovely thatched roofs . A perfect setting to hear all the animal noises at night!

The game drives at rhino river lodge are awesome! very knowledgeable driver who was happy to answer any questions we asked, very very passionate about his job. His excitement at seeing all different animals made it much more enjoyable.

All meals we had during our stay were perfect, very delicious and well presented , you can really tell that all the staff take pride in pleasing there guests. after dinner we sat around the campfire and chatted with staff and other guest, a very community feeling.

During the game drives (day and night) we were very lucky to see an abundance of animals, we even found some tracks and followed them which was very fun. Over all Hluhluwe is a stunning area with so much to see, absolutely breathtaking.

I am so glad that my travel buddy and i opted for rhino river lodge rather than a larger, well known safari park, it gave us much more opportunity to conect with the satff and other quests.

For anyone traveling to South Africa i highly recommend staying at rhino river lodge!!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with friends
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2011

We booked out 4 cottages for our family (South Africans) and friends (Australian and Irish). This place is a slice of heaven - from the really well appointed rooms to the delicous food and the wonderful guides. All members of our party thoroughly enjoyed our 3 days in the bush. Especially the wonderful bird sightings in the camp area. We didnt have much luck on our game drives but even so we loved every minute. The only very small gripe I had was that on one of the days there seemed to be a miscalculation on the amount of food for lunch as a few members of our party hadn't had any lunch yet and there wasnt much left at the buffet area. On asking the staff for more food, there wasnt anything else available. It was a really small issue but considering how perfect everything else was it did put a slight dampener on things. But saying that, I would gladly go back for the delicous home cooked meals and wonderful hospitality.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
janetairton, Owner at Rhino River Lodge, responded to this review, June 25, 2011
Thank you very much for taking the time to review our lodge and for all the positive feed back that you have given us. We apologise profusely for undercatering for a lunch time and are really embarassed that you were not offered an alternative even though you requested it. This is extremely bad practice and totally unacceptable in our view, we are therefore going back in our shift roster to see who exactly was on duty at that time. Rest assured, we will be taking steps to see that this does not ever happen again in the future and would like to thank you for drawing our attention to this. From your comments it is onbvious that this did not entirely spoil your stay and we hope that you will visit us again when we can make sure you are really well catered for. Warm regards from Africa.
Durban, South Africa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2011

A very big thank you to all the staff at Rhino River Lodge for the wonderful weekend in May 2011 that my husband and I spent at your lodge.

The weekend was a surprise birthday present from my husband and I can honestly say that it was the most special birthday ever!

Thank you so much to Sumanth for the warm hospitality we received from the moment we arrived. Thank you too to Anand who was our guide - we learnt a lot from him about the very special animals that you have. What a lovely young man, and he is truly passionate about what he does - he really does your lodge proud! At first I thought that 2 game drives a day of 3 hours each would become a bit monotonous - not so! Every game drive was different and interesting.

I must also compliment you on the superb food and excellent service, from Anand and Isaac who brought our meals, to whoever was responsible for preparing them. Delicious - 5 star quality indeed. And the venison burger that Sumanth convinced me to have at lunch - WOW! At first I was a little apprehensive - but I can honeslty say that it was the BEST burger I have ever eaten. Sumanth, if the burger was your doing - it was excellent!

The highlight of my weekend was the surprise private dinner for two in the private boma on Saturday evening. It was so unexpected. So romantic and such a lovely surprise - a memory I will never ever forget, from the candles and lanterns all around, to the champagne and fire. And of course, my birthday cake and all the staff coming to sing happy birthday to me! Words can't explain how special it was. All I can say is "thank you", you all went out of your way to make our weekend the most special and best ever, and we will never forget that!

I hope that we will be able to come and stay at your lovely lodge again sometime very soon!!

Once again, a huge thank you.

Lynn and Tony du Toit
Waterfall, Durban

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
LexLovesTravel
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2011

Some colleagues and I stayed at Rhino River Lodge over a weekend whilst we had some down time from a work trip. The lodge is perfect in every way.

Four of us shared 2 adjoining suites which was an ideal set up if you don't want to book the larger chalets. The rooms were spacious, beautifully appointed, clean, and the beds extremely comfortable.

The service of all the staff at the Lodge is impeccable, and so hospitable. Nothin was too much trouble. The food was first class.

The common areas - the pool and lounge - are gorgeous, beach towels are brought to you and there's a lovely little boma to sleep in when the sun gets too much!

As for the game drives: Our guide was fantastic, so knowledgeable. You really get a sense that the staff and rangers here care just as much about the animals as they do the business. Two drives were included each day, and each was a full 3 hours including stops for tea, rusks, or sundowners at dusk - simply perfect.

In the short two days we were there we managed to spot lots of giraffe, zebra, rhino (white), wilderbeast, impala, kudu, hippo and warthog. We also saw elephants. crocs and lots of birds. Lions were being introduced in May. Sadly we saw no leaopards or Buffalo though!

In summary, Rhino River Lodge offers extremely good accommodation, and five star service for a fraction of the price of other lodges. It was ideal for our needs (very comfortable but not super-luxurious or pretentious). I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with friends
Pretoria, South Africa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2011

I just want to thank the staff at Rhino River lodge for our lovely stay in this stunning area. The food was awesome and the service excellent! Special thanks to our guide, Isaac who was very friendly and knowledgable and the lodge manager, Sumanth, for ensuring that we did not need to worry about a thing.
We spotted loads of Rhino and had lovely buffalo sightings. We also spotted hippo and a crocodile!
Thank you so much for a lovely weekend!

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
Durban, South Africa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2011

Each year my spouse and I visit a new place in South Africa for our anniversary, this year we chose Rhino River Lodge and it was outstanding.

Sumanth, the Manager, catered to all our special needs and exceeded all our expectations. He made us feel as though we were the only guests there. Sumanth is also responsible for the delicious food served at the Lodge.

The staff was excellent with my 16month old, whilst we were on game drives.

The rooms are spacious and well maintained. Game drives are phenomenal. I sighted Black Rhino for the first time ever.

Excellent value for money and I will recommend to all I know.

Many thanks,
Preshana Pillay

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with family

Been to Rhino River Lodge? Share your experiences!