“Great Base for Durban” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Five Burnham

and 1 more site!
You added Five Burnham to your Saves list
Five Burnham
4.0 of 5 Guest house   |   5 Burnham Dr | La Lucia, Durban 4051, South Africa   |
Ranked #41 of 235 Durban B&B and Inns
London
“Great Base for Durban”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013

We enjoyed our stay at Five Burnham very much. It is so close to Umhlanga, all the area's attractions, and the freeways to get you in and out of Durban easily. It is in a very upmarket safe neighbourhood.

The house is big and has a lovely, welcoming entertainment area around the swimmimg pool - which we used a lot - and the rooms were comfortable, although my wife and I found the bed a bit small. The breakfasts were excellent.

Overall I would recommend it to anyone that has a car as you cant really walk anywhere, but the beach and shopping centres are just a few minutes away.

Room Tip: Ask for the new larger rooms upstairs as they also have a nice sea view.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Wilderness
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2012

My husband and I as well as my sister spent a wonderful time at No. 5 Burnham. As my sister was with us she asked if she could have a few friends around for lunch as she had not seen her friend for 45 years. Well,everyone at Burnham could not have made our stay better. They arranged a table for our lunch, flowers on the table, allowed us to use their braai and just made our whole afternoon unforgettable. They really went that extra mile for all of us, far more than we had ever anticipated. Of course, what made the stay so pleasant as well is that it is a beautiful home,, so well cared for that there is nothing anyone could ask more for. Thanks again. We will be back for sure.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
Banbridge, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2011

We had a beautiful four days relaxing in FiveBurnham. Everything was just perfect, our home from home. What a beautiful place to stay, and I would def recommend this guest house. Thank you Shelly for everything.

Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2009

I stayed at Five Burnham during November 2005 when I was in Durban for a business trip. I only stayed 2 nights but enjoyed the stay and have recommended the hotel to many colleagues since.

The hotel is a large house which is in a mainly residential area. There is good security around the house and it feels very safe.

Inside there's a swimming pool, lovely lounge and dining areas with an outside dining patio too. The bedrooms are very well decorated with en suite facilities with everything you'd expect from a larger hotel (although my room only had a shower, no bath but that suited me). There were patio doors out onto a small paved area with table/chairs for private relaxation.

We ate in the hotel on one evening with the Manager and the food was very good, home cooked, delicious fare. Same for breakfast which was self service but also plenty of choice.

All in all I think it was a good choice of accommodation which made a change from the usual large, faceless international hotels I have stayed in. I would return there to stay if I go back to Durban.

• Liked — Friendly home from home appeal
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed November 2006, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
South Africa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2007

WIth most tourists and business people prefering to stay in home away from home type accommodation, Five Burnham is just that. Look on their lovely web site to see the beautifully decorated rooms and wonderful entertainment area.
--- - worth a night at next time you are in Durbs..

Been to Five Burnham? Share your experiences!