“Great B & B in Durban” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Rosetta House

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Durban
Rosetta House
You added Rosetta House to your Saves list
4.0 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   126 Rosetta Road | Morningside, Durban 4001, South Africa   |
Ranked #2 of 235 Durban B&B and Inns
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Oakville, Canada
“Great B & B in Durban”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2010

My wife and I stayed at Rosetta House for 2 nights near the end of our honeymoon trip to South Africa, and found it a great place to base ourselves for a short while to explore Durban, and also meet up with some of my long lost relatives !

Rosetta House is situated in a very safe area of Durban, and is within easy walking distance of the restaurants on Florida, and Windermere roads; we walked back to the B & B at night with no problems at all. Lee & Bill are very welcoming and have a great home, we were also very surprised to find that they had left us a bottle of sparkling wine in the room fridge to congratulate us on our recent wedding, which was very kind of them ! The breakfast is fantastic, great quality and quantity, with a cold buffet of cereals, yoghurt, fruit etc available, followed by a cooked breakfast.

The room was clean, tidy, the bed comfortable, and was air conditioned if needed, just what we needed. The garden is a great place to relax, if the weather is good, and keep an eye out for the vervet monkeys which seem to enjoy it too !!!

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2010

I couldn't have been happier with my stay at Rosetta House in Durban. Lee and Bill have the most amazing property with beautiful gardens and well-appointed rooms. They went out of their way to make sure that I had a great experience in their city, and they set me up with an excellent tour with Street Scenes (also highly recommended).

I was traveling by myself and I felt 100% safe, warm and welcome at their place. The location is great - within walking distance to Florida road, and beautiful sea views from their veranda. As for the food - they serve a delicious breakfast in a stunning sitting room.

I can't say enough great things about Rosetta House!

• Stayed September 2010, traveled solo
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2010

I stayed at Rosetta House based on the reviews on tripadvisor and I was not disappointed, it is everything people have said before, Lee & Bill are the perfect hosts and the garden flats are maintained to the highest standards. I was lucky enough to view all the garden flats, they are all beautifully decorated. Rosetta House really is the best value for money that I have come across anywhere and breakfast is included as well in the price. The gardens are beautifully maintained as well and you are woken in the morning to the sound of the birds singing.

I was in a garden flat adjacent to the house and had my own privacy to come and go as needed. Outside the garden flat there was a chair and small table to sit outside in the evenings which I enjoyed doing after a busy day.

The breakfasts as said by many people on here really are something to look forward to, Lee cooked something different everyday - all delicious and the plates are beautifully garnished with herbs from the garden as previously said by other guests. At breakfast it would give me a chance to catch up with Lee & Bill, who always took an interest and were genuienly pleased that I was enjoying my stay in Durban.

And did i enjoy Durban! what a totally unexpected revelation Durban was, completely different to what I had expected. The reality is Durban is not marketed properly and thanks to Richard Powell (& his business business partner Sthembiso) at Streetscenetours (website address: www.streetscenetours.co.za) I saw a beautiful diverse city, people from all different culturesworking together and had experiences that I could not have experienced anywhere else in the world, I walked in a township, attended a Zulu cleansing ceremony and walked in the markets at Victoria Market - (read my review on Streetscenetours, click on my contributions).

I travelled on buses, Musgrove shopping centre was only 4 rand. Windermere shopping centre is about a 5minute walk from Rosetta House and ladies shoes are cheap here in Durban - I stocked up!!. Florida Road is also a 5 minute walk to restaurants there is also a SPAR supermarket if you don't want to eat out every night. I found people in Durban friendly, helpful and pleased to see me (tourists).

As with most people I had read a lot of not too pleasant articles on the crime level in South Africa, I am a London lass and like any city take the same precautions you normally would and take the advise of Lee and Bill and the local people and you should be fine.

I stayed 7 days in Durban and loved it, it wasn't enough time. Do not miss out Durban from your itinerary, Durban to me was the highlight of my trip in South Africa and i had been to Cape Town. You will not have the experiences in Durban anywhere else in the world!!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled solo
Stockholm, Sweden
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2010

I stayed in the garden house and thoroughly enjoyed every minute. The room is comfortable and nicely decorated and even have access to a shared kitchen. Lee and Bill were the perfect hosts: helpful in times of need as well as connecting me with another guest with shared interests to our mutual benefit as well as providing a packed breakfast for an early departure within even being asked. The garden is beautifully laid out and the location excellent, a brief walk through a safe neighbourhood to reach a street full of restaurants, bars and ATMs.

In Rosetta House you feel like you are right at home.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled solo
Paris
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2010

Of course, I choosed it because of the comments on trip advisor and I was not disappointed !!! The house is great, you feel like home... The owners are a retired couple, Bill from England and Lee from Durban. They are really nice and welcoming... They give you good advices, take the time to speak with you and full of little intentions... It is one street parallelle from Florida Road where all the pubs, restaurants are. You can easily walk there, even alone, I did it on my own, a woman and I felt safe... Last but not least, the breakfast is good, everything you want is there and they really care of your tastes...
I enjoyed a lot Durban, I heard a lot of bad things about that city but I love it, the atmosphere was great and people really friendly and the weather is good !!! It's worth staying more than 2 days to enjoy the city and around. I did a great tour in the township, really interesting and a nice one too to Sowetho.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled solo
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2010

My wife and I travelled to Durban to see a World Cup match. I chose the Rosetta House based on the reviews on Tripadvisor and stayed for 6 nights. We were not dissapointed!
We had the good fortune to stay in the main house for 2 nights and in the garden flat for the remaining 4 nights. The standard of accommodation is high, the beds and pillows were very comfortable and the linen is of a high standard. The rooms are fully equipped with everything you could need. Coffee maker, fridge, LCD TV's, Air Conditioning, hair dryer, International plug adaptors etc...The appliances aren't just strewn on a table somewhere in the room. Everything is concealed in a beautiful dark wooden cabinet. You really get the sense that Lee and Bill have sat down and thought about what their guests would need and that it very satisfying.

Our Double room in the main house was very spacious with en suite shower and had a lovely colonial feel to it. The original wooden floors polished and well maintained as was the furniture in the main house. Everywhere you look around the house and the garden, there seemed to be a photo opportunity!
Breakfast was something to look forward to every morning. Freshly prepared exotic and tangy fruit salad, and a delicious hot breakfast buffet.
The attention to detail was ever present in the rooms and on the breakfast table. There was always a little scented flower and leaf on the plate/table and we found that to be a very elegant and refined touch when we sat down to the table.

Lee and Bill are delightful hosts and were extremely helpful advising on trips and giving directions and Lee always had a handy leaflet with her to handout when explaining things.
As previously mentioned, we stayed 4 nights in one of the garden flats which was a beautifully decorated double bedroom with en suite shower room and adjoining communal kitchen and patio with a direct view of the lush tropical gardens.
I used to love getting up early before breakfast just to sit on the patio with a cup of coffee in hand just looking at the garden, listening to the birds and thinking how peaceful it was.

Rosetta House is in a very safe neighbourhood where security guards patrol the streets. It is on an elevation so you have a lovely view of downtown Durban and Moses Mabhida Stadium, albeit partial due to trees etc. It is close to Florida Road where all the trendy bars and restaurants are and the Golden Mile with it's Casino, beaches, restaurants and Ushaka Marine are just a short drive away.

I highly recommend this B&B. The best thing after a long day of sightseeing was the feeling of going back HOME to Rosetta. It's more than a B&B, it's a home away from home.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
Markham, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2010

We had a great time during our first trip to South Africa. Lee and Bill were very helpful and informative to our questions while we were arranging our stay in Durban. We were also able to arrange for transportation, sight seeing and game reserve tours with the help of our hosts.

Rooms are kept tidy, and we had access to a kitchen and patio. The rooms were decorated with British/colonial furnishing and decorations, complemented with beautiful garden.

We started our day with a delicious breakfast and a great chat with other guests and our hosts. We were about 20 minutes walk away from the Moses Mabhida Stadium/Golden Mile beaches, and 10 minutes walk away from Florida Road, where we found a great variety of restaurants, pubs and shops.

I would definitely recommend Rosetta House for anyone visiting the KwaZulu Natal province in South Africa!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with friends

Been to Rosetta House? Share your experiences!