“Beautiful place on the top of the hill with view of see and Durban skiline” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Essenwood House

Save Saved
You added Essenwood House to your Saves list
Essenwood House
5.0 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   630 Stephen Dlamini Road | Berea, Durban 4001, South Africa   |
Ranked #1 of 218 Durban B&B and Inns
Switzerland
“Beautiful place on the top of the hill with view of see and Durban skiline”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2011

We stayed 4 nights at the end of May 2011 and we loved the quiet position of Essenwoodhouse on the top of the hill only 5-10 minutes away from the city centre with taxy.
The rooms are spacious with balcon or veranda and beautiful view of the small tropical garden and swimmingpool.
At nigth you can see Durban skyline lights and during the day the beautiful indian ocean.
Breakfast is tipical south-african with big portions and fresh fruits.
John, the owner is very gently and helpful in every moment.He can provide to organise the taxy tranfert from the airport to Essenwood if you desire.
Tipp:to move in the city use "Eagles Taxy", they are very efficient and have cheaper rates than other(John can give you more informations).

When we are in Durban Essenwoodhouse will be our choice!!!
Michel and Anna( Switzerland)

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
Essenwood, Owner at Essenwood House, responded to this review, June 17, 2011
Thank you so much, we are so glad you enjoyed your star here and hope to see you again soon!
Best wishes,
John Chance

158 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
Johannesburg
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2011

We return each year because we enjoy the friendly and helpful staff, the charming and comfortable rooms, convenient location and safe parking, delicious breakfasts and beautiful garden.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2011

This was the second time I stayed at Essenwood House and I am sure it won't be the last. Everything about the property is just perfect. The only problem I have is that I never get to just relax by the pool as I am always on business when I stay at Essenwood (next year I may have to extend by a day to relax in that stunning garden!)
A warm welcome always awaits at Essenwood and the accommodation is fantastic. I was in a HUGE room that it its own private balcony with views of the ocean in the distance (perfect size for sharing). The property is close to the CBD and really close to loads of fantastic restaurants. I hope to stay with you again next year!

• Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2011

Being elderly and having travelled more than 24 hours from Sydney, Australia, it was so welcoming to find this gorgeous, elegant Guesthouse awaiting me.
John, the owner, and his staff were incredible, and couldn't do enough to make me feel right at home, from the moment I walked through the front door .
From organising transport, tours, room service, International calls and even packing up all my luggage and upgrading me to a gorgeous suite overlooking the amazing gardens and pool, NOTHING was too much trouble!
Thank you John and staff. You made my very "special" trip, even more memorable.
Highly recommended! 5 stars!

• Stayed March 2011, traveled solo
Stuttgart, Germany
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2011

Marvellous, spacious rooms in a lovely villa with beautiful garden and excellent service. Made me feel at home! Nice walks from here to the botanical garden,about 25 minutes, and on the safe streets around the guesthouse. This walks during daytime or in the evenings are very important for me as a German lady. Also good restaurants nearby with homemade food and gorgeous chocolate cakes.
Short distances to the beach by taxi for swimming or walking along the sandy beach or to Victoria Street Market for shopping and to the guided tours office in the old railway station.
It was my second stay here and I will not miss to come next year again.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
Johannesburg, South Africa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2011

Essenwood Guest house was the perfect stay for our business trip, the staff were very welcoming from the moment we arrived, the food was excellent along with the service , and all our needs were catered for. Its situated in the beautiful Morningside which is very central making it easy for us to get around.It was our home for 1 week.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled on business
Bristol, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2011

It was an absolute treat staying at Essenwood House whilst we were in Durban. The house itself is beautifully decorated and maintained, with wonderful views of Durban, the sea and the horizon beyond. We felt we'd hit gold when we first saw the house, our rooms and where we'd be staying for the week ahead.
Not only was the house lovely to stay in but the owner was incredibly kind and generous, and always checked up that we had everything we needed and were comfortable - which we certainly were. The staff too were very friendly and provided us with some delicious breakfasts, with lots to choose from each morning.
There were also some very appealing resident dogs, who often greeted us on our arrival home each day and kept us company at breakfast.
I would definitely recommend Essenwood House to anyone visting Durban, whether visiting for the first time or returning. I know I would love to stay there again in the future.
Many thanks to all at Essenwood House.

• Stayed April 2011

Been to Essenwood House? Share your experiences!