“Totally amazed. Thank you so much!” 5 of 5 stars

38 Horseshoe Crescent | Waterfall, Durban 3610, South Africa
Website
Improve this listing
More attraction details
Owner description: Tours conducted throughout KwaZulu-Natal, South Africa. We offer a variety of tours from wildlife safaris, guided battlefield experiences, photography tours, hiking in the Drakensberg, mountain-biking adventures, golfing tours and more. All tours undertaken by qualified and experienced guides.
Malmo, Sweden
73 attraction reviews
“Totally amazed. Thank you so much!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2014

After an early pickup at 6:30am, we left the Maharani Hotel in Durban, the three of us and our tour guide Sheldon settled in for the 2,5 hour drive along the north coast to the Hluhluwe Imfolozi Game Reserve. Along the way we heard about the history of South Africa and in particular Durban, as well as touched on such subjects as the Anglo Zulu war, the Boers and of course the Zulu King, Shaka; this helped the time fly by on our Hluhluwe Imfolozi Full Day Safari Tour.

The day seemed to be pretty promising since before we even entered the park gate, we spotted a bull Elephant relaxing under the shade of an acacia tree, an archetypical African picture which brought tears to my eyes.

From here on the sightings got better and better. We spotted Zebra and Giraffe, as well as Wildebeest (South African for Gnu) and Impala. We were even fortunate to watch a Tawny Eagle enjoying a snack at the top of a tree (looked like perhaps a lizard that was being snacked on). There were also many other bird sightings, from a beautiful Bataleur Eagle soaring above, to an African Pied Wagtail that posed patiently as we snapped away, Glossy Starlings, African Hoopoe’s and more.

We broke for a picnic lunch (brought from the hotel, recommended!) at Sontuli Loop and as we finished up got a real treat. Across the river, maybe 100 meters away a Black Rhino popped out of the bush and was slowly making her way along the sandy bank of the river, and moments later, a calf appeared! Isn't that exciting - with the latest estimates sadly saying less than 5,000 Black Rhinos left in Africa?

After lunch we continued on. 5 Minutes later we stopped for a grand Nyala male who was snacking contently while a troop of Baboons foraged nearby! Sights like these are always fantastic, and definitely not something you get inside the many sheep farm- turned game reserve- enclosures which you can find all over South Africa.

Maybe 15 minutes later we had a wonderful experience as we stumbled into a herd of Elephants just by the roadside, with some very young calves in tow. Like youngsters of every species, they were played, snacked and finally napped, it was just wonderful to watch and be a part of this moment. Unrushed, unworried elephants so close by! Sheldon just switched the engine off and let the Elephants pass by. Magic!

We had hoped that we would discover some cats, but it seemed luck wasn’t on our side. We saw Buffalo, Wildebeest, White and more Black Rhino, Giraffe, Warthog and of course Impala, but no Lion. Finally it was time to go.

As we started out the park, a park employee waved us to a stop and with wide eyes pointed into the nearby bush and exclaimed “Lion“. A second later a Lioness appeared out the bush and started traveling along the road apparently in an attempt to stalk some Gnus. She actually crossed the road right in front of us! It was an exciting moment, especially as we were headed out the park and less than 2 kilometers from the gate.

We had a stellar day in the park. Of course we could have driven ourselves, but without the expertise of our guide Sheldon we would not have seen half of the animals. Friendly, attentive, knowledgable and with hawk's eyes for animals in the bushland he made the day a fantastic experience for us. (And we did neither have to concentrate on the many potholes on the park roads nor the traffic on the long drive from and to Durban.) So thank you Sheldon, thank you very much. I will certainly come back and take further tours with your company!

Visited August 2014

Vancouver, Canada
11 attraction reviews
“Day tours for Cruise Passengers”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2014

Shelldon of Country and Coastal Touring was one of the best guides we met in South Africa. He helped us plan a day tour suited for cruise passengers. He was right on time with his vehicle, and he was very knowledgeable of the area and all the wildlife and also the culture. Our tour was fantastic, couldn't ask for anything more except we wish we had more time in Durban.

He took us to Hillbilly's for lunch which served good local food and there were small shops that sell souvenirs and handicraft for much cheaper prices.

As agreed, he took us back to the port in time so we didn't have to worry about being left behind by our ship.

At the end of the day, everybody in our group was happy.

Two thumbs up for Shelldon and his company!!!

Visited March 2014
England
“Great tour company with knowledgeable guides”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2014

A great tour company. I was looking to do a couple of day tours from Durban in the days after the Comrades marathon. I found some difficulty as a solo traveller as not all tour companies were reasonable in this regard but Country and Coastal Touring helpfully identified some tours that I could join. I did a tour of the Valley of 1000 Hills with a guide called Charles - he knew the area very well - Zulu culture, wildlife and geography. The other tour was to the Hluhluwe Umfolozi park - quite a long drive from Durban but well worth the trip. Our guide was Shelldon and he knew very well where to look for the animals. We saw rhino, elephant, lion, buffalo, crocodile, hippo, warthog, impala, kudu, giraffe, zebra, eagle, vulture and many other species, including a massive spider. I am a vegan and suitable food was provided on both tours. I can't fault the service that was offered.

Visited June 2014
Davis, California
4 attraction reviews
“Fantastic and extemely appreciative!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2014

I am eternally grateful to Charles of Country and Coastal Touring! Here is why. I had a unique request and Country and Coastal Touring completely came through for me! I wanted to follow and meet up with my husband during the 2014 Comrades Marathon run from Pietermaritzburg to Durban (56 miles). I figured it would be an 8 hour day event. Because of my concern for driving the route (crowds, parking, multiple road closures, me not knowing the roads and not wanting to drive on the left) I decided to contact some tour companies to see if they would take me. Just about all of the tour companies that I contacted via email told me a variation of “No, cannot do this because roads are too difficult to handle on this race day.” But then……. Enter Charles from Country and Coastal Touring. His email suddenly gave me hope! We corresponded via email multiple times (he was very responsive) and worked out “possibly” meeting my husband in three locations on the route. Please understand that 18,000 people start this race, so finding my husband would not be an easy task. Well, to make a long story short, I met up with my husband “5” times (2 extra) on the Comrades run (Thank you Charles!) and learned a great deal about South Africa from the wonderful conversations I had with Charles. It was truly a memorable day for me and I really think Charles of Country and Coastal Touring was a paramount reason for it being exceptional!

Visited June 2014
“Great game tour with Sheldon”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2014

We had a 1 day safari&zolo tour.
We went to Tala reserve and to see the Zolo tribe. Shelfon was highly educated about the different animals and about the area in general. Great views, exciting experience. Highly recommended.

Visited May 2014