“Old hotel” 2 of 5 stars

You added Tropicana Hotel to your Saves list
Tropicana Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   85 Marine Parade, Durban 4056, South Africa   |
Ranked #34 of 42 Hotels in Durban

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Paris, France
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2008

Here is experience of my one week stay at Tropicana in November 2008.

I have been a little bit scared having read not so optimistic reviews on this site. However this is unjustified in my opinion.

First of all don't be mistaken by a not so attractive exterior look of the hotel which is a 1980-s or something building: inside it is perfectly clean.

My room had a double bed, TV, safe box, tea making facilities, air conditioning and large bathroom with a real bath. there is a thick rug on the floor to fee you comfortable. Double bed was extremely good even if really fat peope could have some problems sleeping together in, it is not really king size. Nevertheless the matras was perfect, the sheets and towels are changed daily.

The breakfast is more than adequate with a large choice of hot and cod dishes: meat, sausages, eggs, potatoes, ham and cheese, cereals, fruits and pastries. It is buffet so you can eat as much as you like.

What I liked the most in this hotel are the people: they are really friendly and save no effort to make you feel comfortabe and do as much as they can in order to satisfy you. One exempe: the safe box in my room has been broken. I asked to fix it but they said they need to call an external company. Frankly speaking I thought it wouldn't be done because they offered me to put my money into the sealed pocket which they put into the manager safe box. so I thought it was a standard procedure. How big was my surprise when the next day I arrived at the hotel around 1 pm to find out that there was someone waiting for me with a new safe box. Manager Thami who is most helpful person even offered my a free lunch in order to let me wait while they were installing it. Thank you Thami. It shows they really want to satisfy customer as far as they could.

Area around the hotel is quite safe during the day, not so much later in the night (from 23.00) as I have been told. I can't confirm nor infirm this because I thought it would be more prudent not to try: one evening around midnight two young black guys said me in the hotel elevator "Don't tell us you are going to go out NOW". so I guess there might be a real danger if you are white to go out late.

I think this hotel is a perfect pace to stay in the center of Durban and on the beach and will not hesitate a second to recommend it to anyone or to stay here once again. ne only thing they need to improve is the business center: a one free computer is simpy not enough for such a big hotel. Management coud offerd more computers or a free wi-fi which would be a definite distinctive advantage of this hotel.

• Liked — people and their readiness to help you
  • Disliked — limited internet access
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Brisbane, Queensland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2008

We (father & teenage son) spent 3 nights here, having made all arrangements for Durban through the hotel. It turned into a real debacle - the first transfer from the airport to the hotel didn't turn up (though later claimed that he did); the hotel had the booking but claimed it had not been paid for; the return transfer to the airport turned up but again claimed not to have been paid for. All the money had been transferred from Australia to the hotel and receipt acknowledged weeks before, but on arrival they insisted that I pay for the hotel again. What can you do?

The actual hotel bill was ultimately worked out and I was refunded before I left. That was an experience in itself - for some reason, they couldn't refund it back on the credit card which I had used to pay the second time, so I had to be paid in Rand/cash (lucky it was not our last night in South Africa), but reception had insufficient cash so I had to wait another day for it. I have since been refunded for at least one transfer, but suspect not the other, and have given up.

The hotel itself was not too bad - a bit run down, but you get what you pay for, and I've stayed in much worse. TV, desk, coffee/tea, ensuite, ok beds; quite a large room, very light (not dark and dingy). Some staff were helpful, others were more interested in tips, but overall the staff were not unpleasant. It is well located along the Golden Mile beachfront. I've stayed in that area before and seen real violence, so you should be careful, but it was uneventful this time. We had a good view of the beach from our room. Breakfast was pretty good - your usual hot & cold breakfast buffet, with eggs made to order. We had a couple of drinks at the bar.

We spent time at the nearby (short taxi ride) Suncoast Casino complex - some good restaurants and some average restaurants; lost money at the casino and saw a new release movie there. We also ate at McRib, just a short walk up the road from the Tropicana. The Tropicana is also reasonably accessable to uShaka Marine World, and we visited Gateway (the huge shopping mall), but needed a cab to get there and back (arranged by reception).

I'm not sure I'd stay here again - whilst the location is familiar, my experience with the hotel in terms of organisation left me disappointed to say the least.

• Liked — Location.
  • Disliked — Administrative incompetence.
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
north carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2006

I just got back from South Africa and staying at the Tropicana. This was not my first stay at the Tropicana. First of all it is your basic hotel no extra bells or whistles. The rooms are nicely designed and the hotel is accommodating. The main thing is the location. The hotel is directly across the street from the beach and you have no need for a car. The beach is beautiful with arts, crafts, long piers, and good food. The area around the hotel is not so nice and I would not advise anyone to go outside by themselves at night. There is a night club beneath the hotel but my room as directly above and I did not hear any music through the walls. They also offer FREE INTERNET, has two restaurants in the hotel and a wonderful staff, especially the bellman (tell sonny hello!). If you are with a family or a group this place is worth the money and is accommodating. But if you have the money stay somewhere a little nicer!

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — ambiance
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
A TripAdvisor Member
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2005

Stayed at the Tropicana Hotel for 6 days in October 2005. The photos on the website show the pools on the front as though they belong to the hotel. These are public swimming pools. There is nothing wrong with the hotel, it is the area where it is located. Security staff warn you not to take any valuables at all out of the hotel and they will walk you to hotels along the front. The bar next door stated that there had been three robberies during one week. As the police station is opposite the bar this seems incredible. The area seems to be frequented with drug adicts and vagrants rummaging in bins and begging. Spending Sunday afternoon on the beach security were announcing theives were stealing people's towels and personal belongings. The whole front area seems to be run down. I know the authorities are trying to upgrade the resort but until this is completed. I would advise anyone travelling to Durban to stay in Umhlanga Rocks.

• Stayed October 2005
Portsmouth
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2005

Reasonable Hotel right on the seafront.
rooms are of good standard a little coat of paint is needed here & there.
Views are good front and side rooms.
Breakfast is good but hectic if you need to eat early.Leave until around 9am if you can it is then peaceful and relaxed.
Reception staff are good on the whole.Raj the porter is very good and most helpful,he should be one of the main receptionists in my opinion.Use him for information and advice if he is around.
The 2 restaurants are good.

• Stayed October 2005

Been to Tropicana Hotel? Share your experiences!