My latest visit was acceptable however a few pointers....
1. Consistency is key - housekeeping is erratic somedays you receive toiletries etc and somedays the old containers get left in your room etc.
2. Room service needs to pay attention to detail - if a guest requests a specific item and it is agreed to at the time of order then the item should be delivered. (extra bread rolls, extra chilli etc)
3. It is still sad that in 2013 hotels still charge ridiculous prices for wifi but hopefully with time that will change.
4. Despite the room advertising bath robes and a mini bar, the bath robes were non existent and the mini bar section LOCKED. Not acceptable. If you advertise a mini bar, make sure it is stocked and available to the guest on check in.
5. Hiltons loyalty programme really needs an overhaul that at least gives the impression that patronage to the brand is recognized. Despite having been loyal to the brand for a decade plus my membership is still stuck on blue as a result of booking accommodation through third party sites and despite me bringing in more than 10K conferencing business for 90 MINUTES during the upcoming AIDS Conference. It gives the impression that getting to Diamond is like pulling teeth at this hotel chain.
6. A consistent complaint is the drainage of the showers that spill over into the main bathroom area. Surely it could be ensured that housekeeping have the tools to make sure that the drain is clean running after each check out?
All in all decent service, great reception staff, property still in need of a forever promised upgrade and refurb but home away from home all the same. I'm returning for 7 nights in June for the AIDS Conference and look forward to an improved, recognised stay in a King Hilton (the room refereed to in my review was a King Hilton Deluxe)
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hilton EMEA, Travelocity, Priceline, Agoda, Despegar.com, Orbitz, Hotels.com, Hotel.de, TripOnline SA and Odigeo so you can book your Hilton Durban reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hilton Durban Hotel Durban
- Hilton International Durban