First of all, this was a booking made for me and my boyfriend who was running the comrades, this past weekend. He stayed there before and always told me what a great experience he has had. I really expected to have the most amazing experience.
As being in this industry myself, what a bad experience it was “service wise” and also the rooms!
1. When I contact prior to my arrival to find out whether there was any transport for family of runners to the end, nobody in reservation or reception or any other department knew anything. Or even tried to find out. They were opposite the Expo and I felt that a Hotel dealing with so many runners on this weekend, should know the answers to the questions that will be thrown to them!
2. When we phoned to organize an early check in, we were told we could check in at 12h00. When we arrived the room wasn't ready, they offered a smoking room and in the end we sat and waited in the lobby for another hour.
3. Check in was the worse, because nobody took us through, they handed us the key card and stood there saying nothing. I had to ask if we are going to be escorted and check into our room??? We were taken through, our luggage carried. Asked about the mini bar which was locked? Why should I ask? Apparently you have to phone reception to send someone up to unlock it for you. Why is it there in the first place. Can't they find another system? This took another 30 min just to get someone to open it.
4. The bath tub was in bad condition, holes in it (room 12-13..), as well as the toilet seat, no gowns and slippers was given, I had to ask for it. The lights was not working, bulbs flickered. I do not think the room is properly lit anyway.
5. Remote for the TV also didn't work.
Now this was a 5 star place, apparently went down to 4 star. But there is no personalised service and for R2000 per night, I bet you I can get better elsewhere for almost half the price.
I really think this Hotel should rethink about how they run their staff and teat their guest.
The best thing about my stay was their breakfast, thumbs up for the restaurant staff!
This review is the subjective opinion of a TripAdvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.
June 6, 2013
Report response as inappropriate
It is always good to receive constructive feedback and I thank you, on behalf of my Team. Firstly I would like to sincerely apologise that your recent stay with us did not meet your expectations. I have noted your review comments regarding transfer requests not handled by our Reservations Team, room not ready on arrival, early check-in request, condition of bathroom, lighting in room and overall service and have addressed this with my management team and remedial action has been taken.
We place great value on your custom, and your continued relationship with Hilton. I look forward to welcoming you once more to Hilton Durban and any of our Hilton Family of Hotels worldwide in the near future.
This response is the subjective opinion of the management representative and not of TripAdvisor LLC.