“not what you would expect” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save 33% on Weekend Stays
Ranked #8 of 42 Hotels in Durban
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
“not what you would expect”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2013

The high rating is because it is probably the best hotel in town and anyway is by far better than the ones I've seen in my previous visit. Having said this, i was slightly surprised and disappointed. General is not up to a standard to you would expect at an Hilton hotel. The gym is pretty small and so is the swimming pool.
The breakfast has a good selection of food however the quality of some items is lower than what you would expect in hotels of this level.
The location is probably not ideal for turist as it is located just next to the convention center, not really the best place where to go for a walk.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
HiltonDurban, General Manager at Hilton Durban, responded to this review, June 10, 2013
Dadde74, thank you for taking the time to post a review on Trip advisor. I am sorry to hear that we were unable to meet your expectations on this stay, however the next time you over at Durban please do let me know so I can ensure all your requirements are met.

Looking forward to welcoming you back to Hilton Durban soon.

Kind regards

Moe Hamza

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (108)
  • Turkish first
Claremont, South Africa
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2013

First of all, this was a booking made for me and my boyfriend who was running the comrades, this past weekend. He stayed there before and always told me what a great experience he has had. I really expected to have the most amazing experience.

As being in this industry myself, what a bad experience it was “service wise” and also the rooms!
1. When I contact prior to my arrival to find out whether there was any transport for family of runners to the end, nobody in reservation or reception or any other department knew anything. Or even tried to find out. They were opposite the Expo and I felt that a Hotel dealing with so many runners on this weekend, should know the answers to the questions that will be thrown to them!

2. When we phoned to organize an early check in, we were told we could check in at 12h00. When we arrived the room wasn't ready, they offered a smoking room and in the end we sat and waited in the lobby for another hour.

3. Check in was the worse, because nobody took us through, they handed us the key card and stood there saying nothing. I had to ask if we are going to be escorted and check into our room??? We were taken through, our luggage carried. Asked about the mini bar which was locked? Why should I ask? Apparently you have to phone reception to send someone up to unlock it for you. Why is it there in the first place. Can't they find another system? This took another 30 min just to get someone to open it.

4. The bath tub was in bad condition, holes in it (room 12-13..), as well as the toilet seat, no gowns and slippers was given, I had to ask for it. The lights was not working, bulbs flickered. I do not think the room is properly lit anyway.

5. Remote for the TV also didn't work.

Now this was a 5 star place, apparently went down to 4 star. But there is no personalised service and for R2000 per night, I bet you I can get better elsewhere for almost half the price.

I really think this Hotel should rethink about how they run their staff and teat their guest.

The best thing about my stay was their breakfast, thumbs up for the restaurant staff!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
JulieNolan13, General Manager at Hilton Durban, responded to this review, June 6, 2013
Dear kristal2
It is always good to receive constructive feedback and I thank you, on behalf of my Team. Firstly I would like to sincerely apologise that your recent stay with us did not meet your expectations. I have noted your review comments regarding transfer requests not handled by our Reservations Team, room not ready on arrival, early check-in request, condition of bathroom, lighting in room and overall service and have addressed this with my management team and remedial action has been taken.
We place great value on your custom, and your continued relationship with Hilton. I look forward to welcoming you once more to Hilton Durban and any of our Hilton Family of Hotels worldwide in the near future.
PE, South Africa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2013

We chose to stay at the Hilton in Durban while running the Comrades Marathon. Everything was brilliant about the stay. Only minor problem was that the breakfast for the runners before Comrades wasn't as good as the one we had last year at the Stay easy in Maritzburg. The breakfast served in the restaurant was excellent.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Dear Chris V
Thank you for your review and your constructive feedback is always appreciated. I have addressed the breakfast quality with our Executive Chef. I hope you had a great run and look forward to welcoming you back next year for the down run.
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2013 via mobile

I've frequented several hotels in Durbs and find the Hilton the most convenient for Comrades Marathon and an overall great value. Can't beat the central location, attentive service, festive atmosphere, and sublime food and libations. The breakfast buffet is vast and sumptuous! If you are running Comrades, the Hilton is THE hotel.

• Stayed June 2013
Dear PinUpBoy,
Thank you for your great review and hope you had a good run on Sunday. Hope to see soon and also next year for the down run.
Kampala, Uganda
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2013

I spent two nights at the Hilton Durban last year. The staff are very friendly right from the doorman who wears over 100 buttons and pins from around the globe as part of his uniform, to the reception staff and Breakfast attendants.
If you are a business traveller attending a conference or expo, you will enjoy the close proximity of the hotel to the Convention Center. I didn't use the internet so can't say much about the quality.

The rooms and contemporary architecture at this Hilton are even more impressive than the other Hilton i have been to. Loved the staircase with the water at the bottom! Breakfast is a MUST, with everything from pastries to a meat lovers feast, a variety of freshly squeezed juices, countless desserts and Bacon ,,,bacon..Bacon!!. I am not much of a coffee drinker but i did have coffee and it was very good! There is a Bar called Rivets on the same floor as the reception desk with chilled cocktails and yes there is a big screen TV too, Liverpool was down 1 against Aston Villa...
North and South beach, are a few streets away and incase you like Mexican food, there is a reasonably priced Mexican Restaurant across the street from the beach. For a scenic view of the beach, take the cable car at the Fun world Amusement park at the beach. Maybe because it was a weekend the beach was crowded with lots of activity . It does get very windy and chilly in the evening. All in all it is hard not to enjoy your stay at the Hilton in Durban...We did!!

Room Tip: Ocean View if available
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Kid K, thank you for posting this amazing review on Tripadvisor. You have given us such detail about your weekend that you spent last year at Hilton Durban, it makes us, the hotel and the staff feel very proud. Thank you once again and we look forward to welcoming you back to Hilton Durban soon.
SA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2013

The Hilton in Durban offered the best service I have EVER received in a hotel, from every member of staff, especially the front of office staff.
The only negative is the internet, surprising for a 5* hotel you have to pay for it and when you do it NEVER worked properly once.. the staff had to keep assisting.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
HiltonDurban, General Manager at Hilton Durban, responded to this review, June 4, 2013
SeasonSA, thank you for comments on Tripadvisor.

It is great to hear it’s the best service you have ever received.

Your comments with regards to the internet have been passed onto our IT Manager, for further action. Thank you once again.

Kind regards

Cairo, Egypt
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2013

This hotel is located in an impressive building next to the conference center. Great hotel for business people. Very friendly staff, The Ocean View rooms are very nice. This is truly a great Hilton hotel compared to the ones I encounter in some other cities such as London.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Dear Valued Guest, thank you for the awesome review on Tripadvisor.

We glad you found the staff friendly and the hotel great. Looking forward to welcoming you back to Hilton Durban soon.

Warm Regards

Moe Hamza

Been to Hilton Durban? Share your experiences!