“Classy hotel, attentive service” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Summer Sale From ZAR 1403
Ranked #7 of 43 hotels in Durban
Johannesburg, South Africa
“Classy hotel, attentive service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013

I spent two days at the Hilton Durban for business. During my short stay, I experienced great service, enjoyed excellent cuisine and found the location to be perfect. The conference facilities were perfect for our event. An extra special bous - finding a bottle of conditioner amongst the toiletries provided in my lovely room :) thanks for the attention to detail!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
JulieNolan13, Manager at Hilton Durban, responded to this review, January 21, 2013
Dear Mandira

Thank you so much for the great review and taking the time to send it in. We place great value on your custom, and your continued relationship with Hilton. I look forward to welcoming you once more to Hilton Durban and any of our Hilton Family of Hotels worldwide in the near future.

475 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (86)
  • Turkish first
Johannesburg, South Africa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2013 via mobile

Wow. The deals just kept getting better. Booked online and got a basic room. Good price too. Then the price got even better when we enrolled with the rewards programme.
Check in was a breeze as a member of the rewards system. Fist time rewards user and wow, a free upgrade as well.
The upgrade came with free breakfast as well.
The room was huge and very comfortable. All the regular stuff- tv, fridge, king bed, 4 piece bathroom, room with a view and top notch service that was well worth the stay.
Clean and without that chemical smell was great news for the sensitive nose.
The Aircon worked great, as it should.
Oh, did I mention the parking? Roomy! 'Nuff said.
The location is not beachfront but a lot more convenient. No dealing with loads of traffic and parking issues. The beach is a one minute drive away.
The exhibition halls are the neighboring buildings and quite convenient.
Shopping is not walking distance.
Overall the stay was fantastic and absolutely recommended.

• Stayed January 2013
JulieNolan13, Manager at Hilton Durban, responded to this review, January 17, 2013
Dear scottyboy_powerhouse

Thank for your sending in your review, its always great to receive such great compliments about our hotel as well as constructive feedback. I hope that we can welcome you back to the Hilton Durban soon.

Pretoria
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2013

I can't believe the service i am getting from the Hilton - when you book with a hotel like this you want the best - none here. We have not even booked in yet and i am having so many problems just with confirming my booking and sending confirmation of payment . Zandile does not respond to the emails, and when she did respond it did not cover any of my questions. Had to resend the mail with again incorrect feedback and when sending again no feedback at all. I then contacted the hotel asking them to forward me a pro-forma - still nothing received after 3 days. What a dissapointment - hope the stay will be better

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
HiltonDurban, Guest Relations Manager at Hilton Durban, responded to this review, February 4, 2013
Dear Ms Bester, thank you for your review. I am sorry about the delay in responding to you.
Please be advised that Zandile has been addressed and remedial action has been taken.

I do hope that you enjoyed your stay with us. Thank you once again for your review.

Roshini Naidoo
Journey Ambassador
Geneva, Switzerland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2013

The breakfast buffet was the best feature of the hotel and the fitness had some machines, but not too clean. Poor neighborhood, dangerous. Noisy lobby, expensive bar, horrible service! Missed wakeup calls. Rooms damp and musty. AND they charge for internet!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
JulieNolan13, Manager at Hilton Durban, responded to this review, January 14, 2013
Dear barefootsusyq

Thank you for taking the time to send in your review as it is always good to receive constructive feedback and I thank you, on behalf of my Team. I have noted your comments and will ensure the Operations Manager, Food & Beverage Operations Manager and the Executive Housekeeper are addressed and remedial action is taken.

jhb
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

I recently stayed at the Hilton in KZN Durban, South Africa with my family for 5days and the service was unacceptable! On arrival we waited 4 hours for our rooms to be ready. The Manager promised us a 3.00pm check-in but we were only given our rooms at 4.45pm, he promised to compensate us if we were not in our rooms by 3.00pm but nothing followed. Because the lobby air conditioner was on so high it was too cold for my babies so my wife had to sit on the floor for 4 hours in the Hotel Ballroom with them. Once we received our rooms we found that they were not cleaned properly. The toilet was full of poo and was not flushed, the bar fridge had a previous guests food in it. My sleeper couch had a blood stained sheet on it and there were drops of blood on my carpet. I immediately called the manager who only changed our rooms the next day. I also found begger's begging in the "secure basement" parking area and my wheel caps of my BMW X3 was stolen which i now have to replace at my own cost. On the 3rd night my wife and I woke up at 3.00am to attend to our twin babies, as my wife was preparing a bottle she heard someone trying to force our room door open. She panicked as this is the Hilton hotel not the Formula 1 we dont expect to get robbed at a hotel! As i approached the door the person ran away. I immediately called front desk and Mr Ali the night manager laughed it off saying it was impossible. security was sent up to have a look on the floor but no one was found. My wife was very concerned as this was an attempted entry and had we not woken up this person could have got into our room and we had 2 5month old babies with us. The next morning management confirmed there was someone at my door but later on in the day they then said it was nothing. They showed us a report that no card was used to access our room but earlier confirmed that someone was at our door. I firmly believe that it was a staff member & management is covering. This is truly unacceptable for a "World Class Hotel".

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Dear farhad v

Thank you for taking the time to send in your review as it is always good to receive constructive feedback and I thank you, on behalf of my Team. Firstly I would like to sincerely apologise that your recent stay with us did not meet your expectations. Without a doubt, the experience you have had at the Hilton Durban is not acceptable and is certainly not the norm. Rest assured that each of the issues you have sent will be investigated and remedial action will take place with our Executive Housekeeper, Security Manage, Night Manager as well as our Front Office Manager.

Tirana, Albania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013

Great stay at the Hilton in Durban, upgraded to a corner suite thanks to Diamond status and welcomed by the manager himself in the lounge. Staff in the lounge very good, though the week I was staying there was a group of rowdy Indian business men who where disturbing everyone in the lounge with their unruly behaviour. The lounge staff didn't seem to have a a solution to this and let the behavior continue. Apart from this the service was great and I would recommend this hotel if travelling to Durban.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
JulieNolan13, Manager at Hilton Durban, responded to this review, January 10, 2013
Dear sthorba

Thank you for taking time to send in this review, and thank you for your kind comments. I apologise for the disturbances that you encountered in our Executive Lounge, it is certainly not the norm. I have addressed this with the Front Office Manager who will ensure solution is found.

Thanks again for choosing to stay at the Hilton Durban

Julie Nolan
Office Administration Manager
Durban, KwaZulu-Natal, South Africa
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

We booked for the buffet at the Hilton Hotel and assumed that as it was a 5 star hotel expected a good buffet. Firstly I booked a month in advance and when phoning to confirm after about 5 minutes of looking they eventually said they had found it, then on arrival there was no booking at all. We didn't expect a special buffet for Christmas eve but what was actually on the menu was
disappointing to put it mildly.
Starters, mainly salads, beef wrap, pumpkin fritter and spinach soup. No seafood, cold cuts, terrines, extremely basic and very dissapointing. This was followed by a carvery which consisted of just chicken or lamb, calamari strips or dorado and a selection of curries and stews (pig trotters) The vegetables were Saute potatoes and carrots and green beans and it was all lukewarm. Even the mint sauce/jelly was out of a jar. The desserts faired a tiny bit better, but a grand name for a bread and butter pudding and the pastry chef needs to learn how to roll out thinner pastry for the fruit tarts. The profiteroles were filled with what tasted like a vanilla pudding mix, the fruit salad consisted of melon and apple and the ice cream had melted.
I phoned the food and beverage manager and he said that because it was the summer holiday the buffet was geared towards families staying at the Hilton and local holiday makers. Where does the 5 stars for the hotel come from if the restaurant is no better than the local family steakhouse, where I would have probably got better value for money and how are you supposed to know they do this.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Dear Susan H

It is always good to receive constructive feedback and I thank you, on behalf of my Team. Firstly I would like to sincerely apologise that your recent visit to our Rainbow Terrace did not meet your expectations. Without a doubt, the experience you have had at the Hilton Durban is not acceptable and is certainly not the norm. I have noted your comments and will ensure the F&B Ops Manager and Executive Chef are addressed. Thank you for bringing these issues to my attention – it is greatly appreciated.

Julie Nolan
Office Administration Manager

Been to Hilton Durban? Share your experiences!