“Good, but expensive” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Southern Sun Elangeni & Maharani

You added Southern Sun Elangeni & Maharani to your Saves list
Southern Sun Elangeni & Maharani
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   63 O.R.Tambo Parade | Durban Beachfront, Durban 4001, South Africa   |
Ranked #6 of 42 Hotels in Durban
Cape Town Central, South Africa
“Good, but expensive”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

Stay was pleasant and location was convenient - I attended a workshop in the Southern Sun hotel nextdoor. No complaints re. cleanliness etc., but the room was small considering what the daily rates are. For R1350 per night I definitely expected more.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Samantha_Croft, General Manager at Southern Sun Elangeni & Maharani, responded to this review, December 2, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to post your review.

I am delighted that you had a memorable stay and look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (165)
Atlanta
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2012

Good to excellent service and amenities earns this hotel an average versus a poor review. It is a full service hotel with a fun bar and excellent restaurant. Overall, the hotel staff are friendly and efficient. However, the lobby is very dated and lacks a casual seating area given the hotel's large size. The rooms are plain and in real need of refurbishment. The shower had enough mold in certain areas to make me assume that cleaning wasn't a priority. "Needs refurbishment" is a theme throughout the property. However, there is an interesting roof deck pool and water feature area that looks of a more recent vintage. The location and views facing North Beach are most likely this hotel's strongest attraction. I would consider staying at the hotel again if I couldn't find a more updated hotel in a similar price range. I've read that refurbishment may be occurring, but I didn't see evidence. If a your idea of luxury includes beautiful and updated facilities, you will be disappointed, but perhaps the good service can make up for that!

Room Tip: All the rooms should have great views. Check to see if some are refurbished.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Thank you fortaking the time to post your review.

We will be addressing some of the "outdated" areas in 2013/ 2014, which will most definitely enhance the Guest experience.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.
Mumbai (Bombay), India
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2012

well located hotel. right across the beach. i had taken a single occupancy room and had got a decent size corner room. decent lobby. nice breakfast. helpful staff. overall a satisfying staff. loved the waterfront just across the road.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to post your review.

I am delighted that you had a memorable stay and enjoyed the Durban promenade. We look forward to welcoming you back
Centurion, South Africa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2012

We stay regularly at the Tsogo Sun North Beach and prefer it over other hotels in the area purely because of the great service that we always receive. The rooms which have been recently redecorated are comfortable and adequately kitted out. Views from all rooms out to the Indian Ocean are stunning.

During peak holiday periods there are activities that are arranged for the kids and for those Muslim guests, there is a seperate Halaal kitchen and dining area which is awesome. The hotel is very well located, on the beach, close to tons of good restaurants and takeout joints, close to Moses Mabida stadium and not too far away from the many shopping centres in Durban.

Once the renovations are done at this hotel, I would recommend it to anyone travelling to the Zulu Kingdom.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
Samantha_Croft, General Manager at Southern Sun Elangeni & Maharani, responded to this review, November 3, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to post a review after your stay.

I am delighted that you enjoy the facilities that we have on offer as well as the children's programme during peak season, which we have enhanced for the upcoming season.

We look forward to wlecoming you back!
Pretoria
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2012

Having grown up going with my family to the Elangeni, I have a soft spot for this landmark on the Golden Mile but my last 2 business trips were a royal disappointment; I decided to get in touch directly with management to prevent having to change my hotel for business in DBN. I can honestly say that the hotel is more than just back up to scratch. Check-in on my last trip was crisp, porter service was smart, concierge is excellent, dining fresh and the room, modern and tranquil. The Fitness Centre beats any African Pride Hotel I've been too and the breakfasts are top-class. Management have ensured that I am treated very well and that's what has made my trip bliss. That kind of individual attention to detail is why I will come back again and again. For business or pleasure, I pick this hotel- with its new management, you won't be disappointed!

Room Tip: All are excellent! Avoid the smaller ones as they are a bit stuffy but not dramatically so
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to post your review.

I am delighted that we were able to restore your faith in us and look forward to welcoming you back soon
Waukesha, Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2012

Stayed here for two nights recently with my son during our first trip to Durban. Many previous reviews talk about the refurbishments taking place right now at this hotel. We went in knowing this and asked for a room on a high floor because we had read (thanks TripAdvisor!) that they had started at the top and were working down. We were on the 23rd floor and had no interference from noise or fumes, although we stayed on a weekend so perhaps there weren't workers at that time(?). Half the lifts were being worked on but this didn't get us down; we didn't wait long at any point. We had come from Swaziland and Richards Bay, RSA area and so this hotel was quite a welcome respite for us! The room itself was very clean, new, and well-appointed. The bathroom was big and beautiful with a separate bath and shower. All rooms have a view here and from the 23rd floor it was great, even though the weather was mostly grey and rainy. This hotel is right on the Golden Mile and so the beach, a small market area, and other attractions are nearby. uShaka Marine World is walking distance and is wortha visit. That being said, I found the beach and surrounding areas prettier from the 23rd floor than close up. We had a car and I found it so easy to park in the secure garage parking around the back of the building; then you just take the lift from the garage on the 3rd floor to your room. It was very convenient! Reception staff were nice; would be more convenient to have an ATM on the premises. Room service food was good although a bit bland. They accomodated my son's dietary requirements kindly. The biggest negative was the windows. They still open, which is unique nowadays for a room on the 23rd floor, and it was so windy the weekend we were there and the windows didn't seal properly and so the wind whistled through them all weekend. It wasn't enough for us to complain or lose sleep though. Overall, I would recommend this hotel and would stay there again while in Durban.

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to post a review after your recent stay with us.

I am delighted that the team were able to exceed your expectations and that you had a good stay in Durban.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.
Johannesburg, South Africa
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2012

It was our first stay at this hotel. We stayed for 4 nights. Renovations was going on which was very noisy. Only two lifts were working which was a nightmare especialy for a hotel with so many floors. If a knew renovations was going on I would have never booked at this hotel. I think this is something they should warn you about. Location was good. We tried to send postcards to our friends but unfortunately the hotel was not selling stamps. Wow! This was the first hotel i came accross that does not sell stamps, especially as they cater for tourists. Breakfast was not too bad till our last morning. I found a very large piece of hair in my food. Even the waiters were discusted when they saw it. They offered me another plate of food but who wants to eat further after such an experience. This was my first stay and defenitely my last.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Thank you fortaking the time to post your review of your recent stay with us.

Please accept my sincere apologies for the inconvenience caused due to the renovations taking place. Unfortunately renovations are essential in order to keep the product up to standard and every effort is made to keep the interruptions to a minimum.

Been to Southern Sun Elangeni & Maharani? Share your experiences!