“visit here if you like being treated like a thug, by the bouncers” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Cubana Havana Lounge & Latino Caffe (Durban)

Cubana Havana Lounge & Latino Caffe (Durban)
128 Florida Road, Durban 4001, South Africa
031-303-4383
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #88 of 432 Restaurants in Durban
Cuisines: Mediterranean, Cuban
Dining options: Late Night
Description: Cubaña is South Africa’s only authentic franchised social caffé and eatery which offers intricately made & exquisite tasting cocktails (172 cocktails); a distinguished yet tantalising cuisine, breakfast serving from 7am to late night snacks until 1am. We offer all kinds of cigars from aromatic flavoured cigars that suit main stream demands, to elite Cuban and Dominican Cigars for the connoisseur. We stock the widest range of hubbly flavours.
Cape Town Central, South Africa
“visit here if you like being treated like a thug, by the bouncers”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2013

first & last visit to this place - especially being my final night in Durban:

SHOCKING treatment by the bouncer on a quite Tuesday evening with the aim of having a few drinks with a friend before flying back to Cape Town. was rudely told and almost pushed after I walked in my a cap on - had the bouncer explained to me of their 'no baseball caps and vest policy' before I walked in - I would have gladly taken same off however, I was almost 'gated' by the bouncer's hand.

Even more poor - the handling of the matter by the manager on duty (known as the 'Captain') - didn't seem to be bothered or understand my complaint.

• Visited May 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

• Turkish first
George, South Africa
“'Cool' drinks”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2013

We only had after dinner drinks, but the vibe was cool and cosmopolitan. Really good fun with interesting people.

• Visited May 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Kampala, Uganda
“Had A great time here”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013

We were in Durban for three nights and we were here twice. The DJ, the crown, the food, the beer...was fine. On the second night one of our group was asked to remove his cap et when we were having our drinks we saw several guys with their caps on. I think the handlers at the entrance just wanted to see the guys clean shaven head or something.

Visited February 2013
Durban South Africa
“Excellent Steaks and Nachos”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

Very good aged steaks and the nachos is awesome in my opinion, atmosphere is very good, and the service and attention to detail is also outstanding as restaurants go in South Africa.

Visited January 2013
pietermaritzburg
“Bad business”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2013

I write this letter disappointed about the terrible service I received at Cubana on Florida Road-Morningside. It seems to me like they discriminate against their customers. We got there at 17:30 on FRI 04 Jan for a meeting with my business partners and client. We were asked if we were going to eat and we said yes and were given a table. Two of us ordered supper and the rest of us ordered drinks. At 18:45 we were told by the waiter to move to another table because the we were sitting in was booked. We were not excited by this as we were in the middle of a meeting but we moved to a new table (next to the entrance). We continued ordering drinks while trying wrap up our meeting. In just 30mins we were again interrupted and asked if we are going to order. We said yes, the other 3 of us are going to order as soon we wrap up our meeting. The waiter disappeared and a rude manager Marcell came and told us that we must move to the bar because the table we are now sitting in is booked. Mind you, when all this happens there are over 8 other tables that are empty including the first one we were moved from, also empty.

We tell the guy to chill because we are finishing our meeting and we make him aware that some of us have already had supper in the other table and the other 3 will share a platter when we finish. He didnt hear a thing we said. He went away came back and shoved us with a bill. 1. He was not our waiter 2.We had not asked for the bill as we were planning to stay eat and have drinks. We then told him we are not going yet. He said we must pay and go otherwise he will call the police. This annoyed all of us as he was causing a scene as if we didnt have money to pay or we could not afford Cubana. We told him straight that he can call his police we are still not going to pay until we spoke to his boss. He said we can speak to his boss if we want he didnt care. He will have the bouncer throw us out. We are now standing trying to explain but he is shouting at the top of his voice. We dont know why. He then tried to get the bouncer to intimidate us but even bouncer could see he was wrong so the bouncer ignored him. The police came and asked what was the problem. We explained. They told us we have rights if we want to take this up, we should. They too saw that he was wrong.

I am voicing this out because this was not the first time Cubana has treated us like crap. Last year on a separate day we were promised a table where people were paying the bill to go. We waited, when the table got available they gave it to white people who came after us. When we complained they called the bouncer who came to throw us out. It seems clear to me that black people are not welcome at Cubana. They find any excuse to make you uncomfortable so you leave and not come back. The few black people they like are those who get in and spend 1000 in the first 5 minutes then they pretend to like you because you are the kind of a black person they want. Lets tell the truth here.

I have listened and decided not to set foot in Cubana again. Im tired of fighting for equal treatment as other races. I am not going to beg Cubana to give me a table and treat me with great disrespect and I still pay the same price as everybody. There are many other restaurant in Durban. Inthe new South Africa I didnt think there are still places who treat other races like Cubana does.

I thank you.