“Excellent place to stay!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Mackaya Bella Guest House

You added Mackaya Bella Guest House to your Saves list
Mackaya Bella Guest House
4.0 of 5 Guest house   |   137 Penzance Road | Glenwood, Durban 4001, South Africa   |
Ranked #10 of 222 Durban B&B and Inns
South Africa
“Excellent place to stay!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2014

I needed overnight accommodation and the wonderful owners booked in into the small self catering flat. On arrival I found they had upgraded me to a beautiful, luxurious room! The room was spotless with all the extras I could imagine; kettle, alarm clock and fridge! The property is lovely and clean, in a safe area. Although I did not stay for breakfast it certainly smelt good! Definitely on my list should I need another overnight.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Johannesburg
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2013

My four night stay Mackaya Bella was blissful. The small garden surrounding the charming house adds to a feeling of seclusion. The vibe is quiet, relaxed and comfortable. Louise made me feel immediately at home - instant contentment. My room had everything I needed - wireless connection was good. Breakfast on the deck was delicious. Good location in an established gracious area with really nice restaurants nearby.

Room Tip: Flat at the pool was private and had its own kichenette
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2013

I only spent one night here but wished I was able to stay longer. The house is beautiful and my room was spacious with a very impressive bathroom. Clean, comfortable and Louise is a very welcoming host. The breakfast was good too, best eaten on the terrace, which I am sure enhanced the flavour of everything. Highly recommended.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
LouiseDurban, Owner at Mackaya Bella Guest House, responded to this review, October 29, 2013
Sorry too that your stay was so short as we enjoyed your visit, and would have liked to learn more about your environmental projects.
Tel Aviv, Israel
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2013

My wife and I stayed in this lodge for two nights during September 2013. The guest house resides in the Glenwood suburb, a little bit far from the town center but in a quiet, pleasant neighborhood. The room we stayed in was cozy and tastefully furnished. The bed was big and comfortable and the bathroom is very stylish and includes bathrobes in addition to towels.
The owners Louise and John are great hosts, very helpful and friendly. Louise gave us some good tips about an art gallery in Durban and also recommended us an excellent Indian restaurant.
Since we are both vegans they arranged a vegan breakfast for us. Furthermore, on our first day we asked whether we could have the breakfast packed for us since we planned an early morning trip to a nearby nature reserve. Louise packed us a very delicious breakfast in a coolbox. It included bread and crackers, soya yogurt, fruit salad and pesto and humus pastes she made herself. We were quite overwhelmed.
The third "owner" of the guest house is Susie, the owner's dog. She is lovely and sweet and let us pet her throughout our stay.
All in all we highly recommend this guest house, not only because of its comfort and welcoming hospitality but mainly because it felt great to stay in a place its owners will go above and beyond to cater our dietary requests and make our stay pleasant.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Always a pleasure have guests interested in birding - being able to cater for dietary needs for vegans from our adjacent guerilla garden was fulfilling!
Seattle
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2013

I had a wonderful experience at Mackaya Bella, where I stayed for two nights. It is a beautiful house in a lovely setting--a very relaxing environment. The rooms and furnishings are tasteful and of high quality, like the very comfortable bed and luxurious high thread count cotton sheets. The breakfasts were delicious and generous, with the offerings varied day to day. The hosts and staff were all friendly and helpful. All-around excellent. I highly recommend!

Stayed September 2013, traveled on business

Istanbul, Turkey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2013

This was my second stay at Mackaya Bella after five years and once again it has been a wonderful experience. The rooms are clean and comfortable and the staff is very kind and helpful. The owners, Louise and John, are great hosts and give you the best advices for whatever you want to do in Durban. I highly recommend this place!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business

Cape Town Central, South Africa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2013

Stayed four nights at Mackaya Bella in September - one of the nicest guest houses I know. The rooms are delightfully furnished and clean and comfortable with many added touches making it feel like home away from home. The breakfasts are delicious and served on the terrace which has a great view of the park. And the constant supply of excellent coffee definitely kept me going! The guest house is located in a quiet area of Durban close to the University. There is ample parking. The staff are friendly and helpful. The owners Louise and John are excellent hosts - definitely going the extra mile to see that their guests are happy and comfortable. This was my first time back in Durban for 13 years and I had organised a Jazz Festival at the University and at three other venues. Needless to say I was rather stressed having to deal with numerous musicians not only from South Africa but from Holland, America, Turkey, France and Taiwan. Airport transfers, taxis, extra meals, practice rooms, temporary office space and other odd demands were happily and efficiently dealt with. They also suggested restaurants, shopping and tours for our foreign visitors. We were made to feel very welcome and I would stay there again without hesitation. I highly recommend Mackaya Bella to anyone looking for clean, comfortable and friendly accommodation in Durban.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Been to Mackaya Bella Guest House? Share your experiences!