“My Kind of Place” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Neuk Guest House

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Durban
The Neuk Guest House
You added The Neuk Guest House to your Saves list
4.0 of 5 Guest house   |   445 Innes Rd | Morningside, Durban 4001, South Africa   |
Ranked #39 of 222 Durban B&B and Inns
Pietermaritzburg, South Africa
“My Kind of Place”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2013

This is my kind of place – a bold fusion of French chateaux style décor in a traditional Cape Dutch manor house. More boutique hotel than guesthouse, the Neuk has individually decorated rooms done up with sumptuous flair. A gracious building of interesting architecture, it is conveniently located in the suburb of Morningside in Durban.

Surprisingly affordable for such plush luxury, the Neuk has every possible traveler convenience – air-conditioning, heated towel rails, large flat-screen televisions and plentiful plug points with varied adaptors. The hosting is friendly and professional and the hosts are enthusiastic about their corner of vibey Durban.

But it is the dramatic décor which is the X-factor that sets this guesthouse apart. Decadent wallpaper, chandeliers, intricate wall-mounted lamps, gilded mirrors and antique carved furniture grace every room. Silky linen is matched to each colour scheme. The spacious rooms have original parquet wooden flooring and pressed ceilings, with soft matt flagstone tiling in the bathrooms.

Accommodation Experience
I arrive early and am given free reign to view the house, and every room is lovely. Each has unique features and has been lavished with decorative detail. I especially like the smaller, cosy lounge with its warm red and pink hues.

It is a tough choice for me between the Palm Room and the French Room, but eventually I choose the Palm Room for its outdoor location. It is almost a freestanding cottage, overlooking the pool and pretty garden. It is quiet within the walled garden, and I don’t hear any sounds of traffic even with the double doors of the cottage wide open to catch the breeze. Inside there are two antique French-style beds, a grand wardrobe, elegant desk and lounge chair. The modern bath is one of the longest I have ever had the pleasure of relaxing in - I am able to lie down, full length under water, counting my many blessings at finding such a calm haven.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Brighton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2013

Awesome little owner-managed boutique guest house in beautiful manicured gardens. Everywhere you look is layer upon layer of incredibly interesting antique, art detailing. A thread of elegant interior design throughout.. Soft bed, plump pillows and crisp white linens. Pretty crockery and a home cooked, generous breakfast sets you up for the day. Super fast wifi to keep intouch! Loved it and have rebooked for next year!

Room Tip: Book in advance its very popular! Ask for suites of the pretty pool terrace!
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Bremen, Germany
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013

I spent three months in this wonderful and cosy guesthouse. The hospitality of Haley, Julia and their staff was awesome and I always enjoyed the conversation with Haley and all the others around. The rooms are warmly and nicely furnished and within walking distance there is the famous Florida Road with all the bars and restaurants. I can only highly recommend this place to any other visitor of Durban.

Room Tip: I stayed in the garden cottage which was just excellent.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Johannesburg, South Africa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2012

Unbelievable value, so much character. The rooms were warmly and richly furnished, everything was amazing. Withing walking distance to Vida e Caffe and Harveys, which must be one of the finest restaurants in Durban. Highly recommended.

Room Tip: Any room is excellent!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2011

I thought this B & B was really very good. The owners have really put in so much love and attention to detail into the place. Excellent breakfast and lovely person running it....would definately stay again but reluctant at the price I had to pay.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2011 via mobile

It has been well over two years since my friend and I dizcovered this small jewel, nestled in one of Durban's nicest residential neighborhoods. I still dream of going back and enjoying one more time Haley's warm hospitality and lovely conversation. I am a constant traveller, who has seen most there is to see in hotels and the like, yet the Neuk is so far one of the few places that has stolen a little piece of my heart. Thank you for the best of times! Carmen.

• Stayed November 2010
Phoenix, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2010

I was exceptionally pleased with The Neuk guest house in Morningside. The house itself was a large Cape Dutch-style residence with meticulously landscaped grounds and shabby chic decor. The rooms were very clean and well put together, with upgraded bathrooms including nice toiletries and complimentary bottles of water. We were immediately greeted by our hosts, a mother and daughter duo who made us feel welcome and chatted us up about our travels. Although we had to leave for the airport at 6am, our host still got up and provided us a buffet breakfast including toast, cereal, fresh fruit, coffee, pastries and juice. The value for experience was great, considering we paid the same amount for guest houses that weren't the whole package. We were also very pleased with the location, as we were close enough to walk down to Florida St. where all the bars and restaurants are located. All in all, I would absolutely return to The Neuk and will recommend it to anyone traveling to Durban!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to The Neuk Guest House? Share your experiences!